Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike time: Pinarello vs Cervelo vs Specialized

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike time: Pinarello vs Cervelo vs Specialized

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 12:12 PM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode the Cervelo R3 and the Spe. Roubaix both with Ultegra. I loved the R3. The Roubaix was a bit too relaxed for me and felt a bit dead. I opted to go for a used Giant but only because I get an incredible deal. Never ridden a Pinnarelo, just a personal thing about the look.

I'm likely looking for a new ride next winter, R3 and Tarmac on still on the top of the list. I may look at the TCR again also.
Old 04-13-13, 12:18 PM
coolmingli

Bikes: A2b Metro, Eneloop, Alley Way, Haul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Pinarello, I have a Paris, the Geo is too aggressive, and paint cracks easily, can't comment on the Cervelo, never had one.
I like Specialized, very comfortable to ride with.
Old 04-13-13, 05:27 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Roubaix SL2. I hear SL4 is a lot better than the SL2. I would go with a Roubaix. I am thinking of upgrading to an S-works SL4.
Old 04-15-13, 06:29 AM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again all. Rode an Sl2 Roubaix and a Giant defy on the weekend. Different that's for sure. Still thinking though.
On the Cervelos; a pretty nice but older R3SL has come up for sale- how does this stack up next to the current R3? It was more of a compliant ride as I recall but are there any other key points of difference? This one is about the same price as a new 2013 R3 ( albeit better specked) so it's a line ball financially.

FWIW; the best shop I've spoken with so far has been the Pinarello guy. Knowledgable, listens and happy to build a bike to a price point for me.
Old 04-15-13, 09:42 AM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 900aero
Thanks again all. Rode an Sl2 Roubaix and a Giant defy on the weekend. Different that's for sure. Still thinking though.
On the Cervelos; a pretty nice but older R3SL has come up for sale- how does this stack up next to the current R3? It was more of a compliant ride as I recall but are there any other key points of difference? This one is about the same price as a new 2013 R3 ( albeit better specked) so it's a line ball financially.

FWIW; the best shop I've spoken with so far has been the Pinarello guy. Knowledgable, listens and happy to build a bike to a price point for me.
The R3 SL is lighter than the current R3 by 200 grams and has a different geometry (racier with lower headtube). New R3 is way stiffer though in headtube and bb (one of the weaknesses of the older R3).

Still a fantastic bike, but I would go for the newer R3.
Old 04-15-13, 12:21 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I have a pinarello fp team and love it. Yes it is heavier but I live in flat central Indiana. Carbon seatpost, stem handlebars and a new set of wheels have lightened it up.
Old 04-15-13, 01:13 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SL2 and SL4 are Dramaticly different bikes.
Old 04-15-13, 07:31 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Anecdote, but in my experience and in the experience of mechanics at my shop, Cervelos have consistent quality issues. Good warranty and customer service is great and all, but it's better when a bike just doesn't break all the time.
Old 04-16-13, 07:38 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Skip the R3 and just go to the R5
Old 04-18-13, 04:58 AM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, the short list is down to the Pinarello FPQuattro and Cervelo R3. The piña could readily be specced up with Eurus wheels and possibly Chorus gruppo as well. The R3 would come with SRAM Rival & probably Mavic Cosmic elites. They are quite different bikes and with those specs, the Piña is $400 more. Both sold by good shops although the Cervelo guys are closer to my house. WTF do I do?
Old 04-18-13, 05:53 AM
starjag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like how the Cervelo looks in your post above!
Old 04-18-13, 07:29 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 900aero
Ok, the short list is down to the Pinarello FPQuattro and Cervelo R3. The piña could readily be specced up with Eurus wheels and possibly Chorus gruppo as well. The R3 would come with SRAM Rival & probably Mavic Cosmic elites. They are quite different bikes and with those specs, the Piña is $400 more. Both sold by good shops although the Cervelo guys are closer to my house. WTF do I do?
Doesn't matter...you picked the worse two out of the three.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-18-13 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 08:29 PM
Bikeisdusty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This past weekend I rode a SL4 Roubix Expert, Cervelo R3, followed by the Look 566. SL2 Roubix and a Domane 4.6 was enjoyed the previous weekend. The SL2 is really loose. Steering is nervous and does not give confidence. The SL4 is very solid, has zero flex in bottom bracket, but rides well. The bike felt fastest of all of them. The R3 rode well, but the Look 566 was even better. The 566 feel was a bit dead with no buzz, and it cornered very nicely. When the shop had it setup for me as a option, I did not really want to even give it a try. I was very surprised by how good the 566 felt. The R3 felt like a older frame comparison, a bit looser and more buzz. The Domane 4.6 felt really good as well and was very smooth ride. I plan to ride a Domane 5.2 before deciding. For now the choice is the Domane 4.6 or 5.2 or the SL4 Roubix.

For a flex test, I use the subjective method of going for the highest gear, go slow, then push as hard as I can. Most bikes give some or a lot of front derailer rub, as well of flexing feel and movement. However, the SL4 and 566 did not seem to budge, the energy just went into going forward. I was pleasantly surprised with the results with these two bikes.
Old 04-18-13, 10:34 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Skip the R3 and just go to the R5
+1
Old 04-19-13, 12:36 AM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I love my R3. When I push down on the pedal, the thing leaps forward like a bat out of hell. Feels stable as a tank on a descent, climbs well, and it's very light and nimble. Not quite as comfortable as an RS, but more sporty.

Oh, and you steer it by looking where you want to go, it feels like the bike reads your mind.
I've ridden some nice bikes. I even test rode an R5 for fun a while back and did a quick climb.. and maybe I'm not riding the right way... but I've never had a bike "leap forward" or any other such nonsense like "go like a rocket" or have it "propel up the hill effortlessly" or anything else. I notice the biggest difference switching tires than switching bikes FWIW and if I like the fit of the bike.

When climbing.. pretty much all my sub 20 lb road bikes feel the same to me. I mean I'm just trying to keep speed or whatever or keep with the group without blowing myself if I'm working hard.. but maybe I'm a crappy cyclist.
Old 04-19-13, 10:12 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I am so over Cervelos now.