Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo wheels: eurus v zonda ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 04:11 AM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for a new set of good alloy clinchers to put on an Italian frame with Campy gruppo for daily/weekly use. Would like to keep the wheels Campy as well but not sure whether to go Eurus or Zonda. I've had the Eurus before and love them for their toughness and general grooviness but Zondas are a little closer to my budget this time. Shamals would be great but the $$ are just not there. Are the Eurus worth the extra cash over the Zondas?

As an aside, the bike is a Pinarello which has the MOst Wildcat wheels as std. I know these are made by Campagnolo but which wheel in the Campy catalogue would they be closest too? Siroccos perhaps? Zondas even? The specs are somewhat similar.

Anyone ridden both who can offer advice? Experience? All helpful advice appreciated.
Thnx.
Old 04-27-13, 05:15 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Never saw a bad review of Campy wheels and I have ridden them for years. Also consider Fulcrum which are pretty analogous to Campy branded wheels...I ride Fulcrum 5's for training. Fulcrum 3 is equivalent to Zonda...Scirrocco to Fulcrum 5's. I am not such a fan of 3 spoke grouping in back of the Zondas...but they work fine. Eurus are great wheels as well. Dollar versus model is a hard call. Personally I would go for the Fulcrum 3's or Zondas.
Have fun with your build.
Old 04-27-13, 05:28 AM
RoadMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fulcrum wheels are built by Campagnolo if I recall correctly.
Old 04-27-13, 05:38 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of guy from our club use zondas for training/ racing and have never heard a complaint. Check out https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/roa...d-Tri/campwhfr very good prices on wheels.
Old 04-27-13, 05:39 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadMike
Fulcrum wheels are built by Campagnolo if I recall correctly.
Yes they are. If you read their tech manual they say the Fulcrum 5's are even hand built.
Old 04-27-13, 07:38 AM
calgary_jim

Bikes: 2012 Merckx Emx-5 Campagnolo Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my eurus wheels. They look incredible and seem impervious to my weight.
Old 04-27-13, 12:43 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I thought the Eurus translated to the Racing 3? I had a set of Eurus that were sold to me as 2-way, but the seller was wrong so I returned them and bought racing 3's in 2-way fit, and then another set for my other bike. Required zero maintenance thusfar. My boss runs the Racing 0's, man those things roll forever... I LOVE the look of the rear Campy wheels though, if price were no object it would be Shamal's all the way.
Old 04-27-13, 02:09 PM
Italia6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden Campy wheels for 20+ years and I've never met a Campy wheel I didn't like. Exceptionally well engineered and well built. The Zondas are bulletproof and fine for most riders' needs. The Eurus are lighter, and also stiffer if that is a requirement for you. (They are marginally too stiff for me.) The Shamal (or Fulcrum Racing Zero) are awesome. Unless you need medium profile (somewhat aero) wheels like those, you might check out the low-profile Neutron Ultras. They are bulletproof and lighter; bang for the buck they are my fav in the Campy lineup. Fulcrum is wholly owned by Campagnolo and headquartered nearby. Same quality. As you know, Campy designs its rims so your tire won't accidentally come off; this makes them harder to mount tires. Some new tires can be a pain but after they are on and stretched, its fine. Find a tire brand and model that works on the rims. One more thing. With proper maintenance, a Campy wheelset will last for decades. You could easily put 50,000+ miles on the wheels. When you consider how many years you'll be riding them, unless you're the kind of person who constantly changes wheelsets, I think it's worth a few extra bucks to buy a higher-end wheel.
Old 04-27-13, 03:05 PM
900aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate your comments. The longevity & stiffness has me leaning towards Eurus. Luckily my LBS stocks the range so I'm going to make the call when I get there next.
Grazie.
Old 04-27-13, 04:11 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Italia6
I've ridden Campy wheels for 20+ years and I've never met a Campy wheel I didn't like. Exceptionally well engineered and well built. The Zondas are bulletproof and fine for most riders' needs. The Eurus are lighter, and also stiffer if that is a requirement for you. (They are marginally too stiff for me.) The Shamal (or Fulcrum Racing Zero) are awesome. Unless you need medium profile (somewhat aero) wheels like those, you might check out the low-profile Neutron Ultras. They are bulletproof and lighter; bang for the buck they are my fav in the Campy lineup. Fulcrum is wholly owned by Campagnolo and headquartered nearby. Same quality. As you know, Campy designs its rims so your tire won't accidentally come off; this makes them harder to mount tires. Some new tires can be a pain but after they are on and stretched, its fine. Find a tire brand and model that works on the rims. One more thing. With proper maintenance, a Campy wheelset will last for decades. You could easily put 50,000+ miles on the wheels. When you consider how many years you'll be riding them, unless you're the kind of person who constantly changes wheelsets, I think it's worth a few extra bucks to buy a higher-end wheel.
Nice review.
Old 05-09-13, 05:01 AM
900aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone cares; I went for a 2nd hand set of Eurus from the LBS. Put them on a new 2012 Pinarello FPQ Quattro, Black on Black with Chorus gruppo. Very happy so far.
Old 05-09-13, 05:21 AM
Ridelots24
Clinging to guns/religion

Bikes: Litspd Cyx/ Paragon/ LHT/ Madone 5.2/ Spclzd TT/ Boone/ Lynskey 27.5/ Pugs / Colnago CLX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had the same cost/performance decision with the 2 wheels in question. I have a set of ultra's on my Madone and trust in Campy, so w/o riding either, i picked the zonda for $525 new on ebay.
I just converted my Cyclo cross bike to Campy Chorus, i'm running 25 cc tires. So far they are smooth and are lots lighter than my bontrager race set. i ride road/gravel and some open fields with this setup, i only have a few hundred miles on wheels, but seem just fine, no adjustments or noises. i'm satisfied with the Zonda's and would buy again.
Old 05-09-13, 01:09 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
The main difference is that Zondas have steel spokes and Eurus aluminium