Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

I'm tired of BF's garbage platform; I've had enough

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 07-17-19, 05:13 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
@bikingshearer ~

Hey R... You know me, I would have addressed this right away, why didn't you contact me? Who did you contact in the past? I will try to get you at home..

Siu
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-17-19, 05:24 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
The few people I've been lucky enough to meet and ride with from here cancels out even the worst software; at least for me.
This.
Old 07-17-19, 05:28 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
One way to stop losing longer, detailed posts due to timing out is to highlight it and right click, then copy it.

That way you can just paste it back into the box if you time out.

I also have not had much difficulty using the search function. I usually search for threads, so I select thread titles, rather than posts, and then type in the best keywords.
I was about to suggest the same thing. I do that for longer posts on many forums.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-18-19, 10:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by justslow
If I logged in, I did it on purpose. Why is it necessary to click on a button to reiterate my intent?

Keeping every cookie that's set in my browser is never gonna' happen.

I too have been mighty annoyed by the issues stated by the OP.
How do you think your browser works?

Let me define cookie.

Cookies are not evil. You browser uses them to stay logged in and other information that ties files in your cache/temporary internet files to quickly access and reconstruct pages for you.

Without them it would take a long time to load every page, period.

I've used computers since 1978 and the internet for close to 25. Don't be so paranoid as to think everything you deal with is some kind of privacy issue. If that's the case, why are you even online???

Paranoia is not the key to enjoying anything. There is no such thing as anonymity and if you are upset by ads get a premium membership.

And I've seen far worse garbage than your definition, I was hapless enough to use Lycos! Now, that was a mess!

You either like the site or you don't but please don't blame it on not being exactly as you want it, over 150,000 people have registered here in nearly 20 years and Joe Gardner's baby has grown up well. You have to learn how to use the site just like the rest of us.

The chances are just as good that you could stand to learn computer management a little better. It's not easy to write a platform that handles PC, Macs and wireless devices at once. There is no Abracadabra, there is a lot of coding. The technicians are doing all they can and they really deserve some credit and some questions when you do have a problem. Do you withhold vital information from your physician because they obviously should know? That doesn't make sense!

And those of us who might know how to solve a problem likewise will try to help, whether we work for this site or not.

And since I have a ragtag fleet of PCs running windows 7 nd a couple with 10, I have experience with Linux a bit, though not enough to write the stuff but it wasn't that hard AND I started with IE 5 and saw the horrors of 3 and 4 and used Netscape then as I use Firefox now, AND Apple II, clones, DOS, yada yada...I can sure try.

But no site is ever going to be exactly like some other one you liked. Stagnant = dead. Nobody rests in the world of the internet.

So, feel free to be more specific and we all will try to return the favor. It can't hurt.

And guess what? I didn't click remember me and my session timed out! Whoops! Guess I learned, huh?

Last edited by Rollfast; 07-18-19 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-18-19, 11:17 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,188 Posts
Hey Rich, I hope you're just kicking dirt and spitting on someone's shoes...
Old 07-18-19, 11:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

He'll figure it out at some point. If you don't save cookies you don't get any ice cream.

You know him SBW, hope you can solve it for them.
Old 07-19-19, 03:29 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

And seriously, what's with all the Jabberwocky random spamming now? People just post part of a paragraph with no rhyme or reason.
Old 07-20-19, 10:10 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
And seriously, what's with all the Jabberwocky random spamming now? People just post part of a paragraph with no rhyme or reason.
Kind of like your post?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 07-20-19, 10:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Once again, for the umpty-umpth time, BF has timed me out and sent a post I spent some time crafting off into the ether, never to be seen again.

The number of times this has happened is well into double digits. I have reported this to the BF poobahs and have received no response. Nothing. Crickets.

There is supposed to be an auto-save function: it doesn't work for sh*t. Hasn't for years…
Just yesterday, FYA, I quoted this post, with some following posts with remedial suggestions, on a General Cycling thread in reply to a subscriber with a similar complaint:
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
What a diverse bunch of ideas… I'm not trying to be snooty or condescending. I wrote a long post, that BF swallowed. That happens to me, and I get cranky. Rather than slam my hand down in frustration, I move on

I apologize in advance for the blasted auto-correct (when/why did it become so awful?) and inaccuracies or lack of clarity on my part, and will try to clarify and/or correct.

Cheers…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Meanwhile perhaps @Last ride 76 could provide us with an abstract of the current literature.
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
What do you gain by being facetious? …IDK if I will respond to your ad hominem attack regarding my sometimes losing posts.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-20-19 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 10:59 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
A little deceptive...

Intellectual dishonesty...nested quotes? you cut and paste whatever you want, to change the meaning of what others have said. Calling it improvising, is just BS.

This was part of a thread called "Gears and Cadence". Here is the actual sequence:

Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from Boston Hold on OP, @wobrien, et al. In a few years after a rigorous, exhaustive, well-funded study with enough rigorous follow-up confirmatory studies, we may hear of the correct way to pedal our bikes.

What do you gain by being facetious? It seems rather self-evident that understanding correlations between cadence, power, efficiency, speed, and muscle recovery times is not equivalent to your hearing "the correct way to pedal our bikes."

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-20-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 04:54 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Kind of like your post?
No, I've flagged two or three lately. They are just some random text from some article and there is no context as to why or what for. It's either like they are making a test post or got annoyed that they couldn't post links etc and just posted parts of a couple sentences at random.
Old 07-21-19, 06:05 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...whenever one of my posts disappears before it gets posted, I presume the world is better for it.
Old 07-21-19, 06:51 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by justslow
If I logged in, I did it on purpose. Why is it necessary to click on a button to reiterate my intent?

Keeping every cookie that's set in my browser is never gonna' happen.

I too have been mighty annoyed by the issues stated by the OP.
When you log out those cookies are no longer valid/active and clearing you cache now and then is also a good way to clear trojans that might be hiding there. Trojans try to hide.
Old 07-22-19, 12:55 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
I understand the frustration of losing a well crafted, well thought out post. Although it has not happened to me at BF, I learned a long time ago to just open a new MS Notepad page. Create, edit, update, edit again and then cut and paste to the forum thread. End of problem.
Old 07-24-19, 03:10 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Once again, for the umpty-umpth time, BF has timed me out and sent a post I spent some time crafting off into the ether, never to be seen again. The number of times this has happened is well into double digits.
  1. Enable cookies on your browser
  2. Set your browser to not delete cookies
  3. When you log in, click "remember me"
  4. Problem solved -- you will stay logged in for weeks at a time, and never time out
Likes For IBobi:
Old 07-24-19, 03:11 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Asked and answered, closing thread!