Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Shaking my head...Costco wades into mandatory bicycle registration debate

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Shaking my head...Costco wades into mandatory bicycle registration debate

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 12:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Now, all that said, I would still be willing to pay some nominal fee just to shut up the "you don't pay 'road taxes' " argument.

That whole argument could be squashed, and motorists would have to clearly acknowledge cyclists as "legitimate road users."

I just think that would twist open some closed minds.
You would likely be as successful "shutting up" such "closed minded" people if you handed out your dirty socks and asked them to stuff them in their mouth for silence.
Old 08-21-15, 01:23 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You would likely be as successful "shutting up" such "closed minded" people if you handed out your dirty socks and asked them to stuff them in their mouth for silence.
Probably more sucessful with the old socks... as there are those drivers that for whatever reason feel that they DO own the road.

Anyway... bike registration is just some short sighted politicos wet dream... and Costco needs to get a clue.
Old 08-21-15, 01:55 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Here’s a brief history of bicycle licensing in Toronto.

Licensing - Cycling and the Law - Cycling | City of Toronto
Any revenue raised by licensing would be quickly consumed by the administration of this department….which is why I continue to advocate for having an 8 hour on-road bicycle experience as a requirement to earn a drivers license.

Then again Costco and other retailers of bicycles can simply take the name and address of the purchaser and submit it along with the fee (at no extra charge to the customer, of course) to the municipality of the purchaser’s residence.
Old 08-21-15, 07:42 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Whatever the reasoning was behind the story, I'm sure it was mainly to freak out A&S posters

They know we're here I suppose!
Old 08-21-15, 07:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Just critiquing here, but didn't you forget chloroform?

I know...too many black and white movies.
Old 08-21-15, 09:00 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Here’s a brief history of bicycle licensing in Toronto.

Licensing - Cycling and the Law - Cycling | City of Toronto
Any revenue raised by licensing would be quickly consumed by the administration of this department….which is why I continue to advocate for having an 8 hour on-road bicycle experience as a requirement to earn a drivers license.

Then again Costco and other retailers of bicycles can simply take the name and address of the purchaser and submit it along with the fee (at no extra charge to the customer, of course) to the municipality of the purchaser’s residence.
Of course one of the issues with municipal "registration" is the mere fact that one can easily cross municipal boundaries, even on a local ride.

If a registration scheme is to work, it has to be at least state wide.
Old 08-22-15, 06:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Having to buy a bike license is little more than a way tax and spend b'crats have come up with to get citizens money. They seem to have no end of ideas to separate people from their money. They have some brain damaged idea that they know how to better spend your hard earned money than you do.
Old 08-22-15, 07:26 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Having to buy a bike license is little more than a way tax and spend b'crats have come up with to get citizens money. They seem to have no end of ideas to separate people from their money. They have some brain damaged idea that they know how to better spend your hard earned money than you do.
Originally Posted by rydabent
This is very little more than the usual tax and spend b'crats finding a way to get your money.

Instances like this is why I never take my drivers license with me when I ride.
Clearly, this is Rydabent's standard answer line - wouldn't be surprised if he had a rubber stamp to that effect.
Old 08-23-15, 02:32 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
My state has mandatory registration/tax (Hawaii revised Statutes Chap 249 Sec 14):
§249-14 Bicycle and moped fee. (a) Bicycles having two tandem wheels that are twenty inches or more in diameter and all mopeds are required to be registered and shall be subject to a permanent registration fee of $15, to be paid by the owners thereof to the director of finance.

doesn't affect a thing AFAICT. Also not sure what the compliance rate is. They can take your bike if it doesn't have a registration sticker on the seat tube, but I see plenty of bikes without sticker. Though an LBS must pay the tax "for you" and put on the sticker before the bike leaves the door.

scott s.
Old 08-23-15, 06:54 PM
jgadamski

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I'm not for it, but it sure would take the legs out from under the "get off the road crowd".
I don't believe anything would silence that meme. Somehow, the idea that the roads are part of the 'commons' lost favor when they stole the 'good roads' from cyclists in the early 1900s
Old 08-23-15, 07:54 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jgadamski
I don't believe anything would silence that meme. Somehow, the idea that the roads are part of the 'commons' lost favor when they stole the 'good roads' from cyclists in the early 1900s

Yeah right, a handful of dandies in horseless carriages "stole" the roads from a handful of dandies on bicycles..............
Old 08-23-15, 07:57 PM
jgadamski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah right, a handful of dandies in horseless carriages "stole" the roads from a handful of dandies on bicycles..............
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Roads_Movement
Old 08-23-15, 08:00 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Ah yes, this again.

Nobody else had anything to do with road improvement, if it weren't for bicycles, all the roads would still be dirt

Cyclists were nothing more than a voice in the crowd.
Old 08-23-15, 08:07 PM
jgadamski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Believe what you chose to. I can cite sources, far beyond a fast and dirty wiki. Neither of us were there, so it boils down to opinion. And you know where you stand with me.
Old 08-23-15, 08:36 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Believe what you chose to. I can cite sources, far beyond a fast and dirty wiki. Neither of us were there, so it boils down to opinion. And you know where you stand with me.
There are far more cyclists now, representing a much greater cross section of society, with far greater influence, and our overall contribution is still nothing more than a footnote. To believe cyclists played a significant role in the evolution of roads one must exercise very selective tunnel vision.
Old 08-30-15, 10:52 AM
Aqua_Andy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
This is a great topic for discussion and one I just don't understand. Shouldn't we be rewarding cyclists for using the roads instead of trying to tax them for it? why not give tax breaks for cyclists to encourage people to leave there vehicles at home? As I see it, the vast majority of cyclists also own an automobile in which part of the state and town registration fees goes toward road and infrastructure improvement. So in a fact cyclists are also paying for the use of the roads but not causing traffic jams wear on the road surfaces while also cutting down on pollution and health costs for the masses. I see nothing but a big can of worms in bicycle registration. Will the registration be citywide or statewide? Will registrations be reciprocal from city to city and state to state? In the state of NH and neighboring states OHRV registrations are not reciprocal. Can you imagine having to register your bike in every town or city you ride in? What about multiple bicycles? Do I need one for every bike I intend to ride on the road? Yes All I see is one massive can of worms and none of the revenue going back into the infrastructure.
Old 08-30-15, 06:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Call me impressed, but most of the comments I've read are of the "no, bikes don't damage the roads" or equivalent.
Another concern is that the fees are unlikely to pay for themselves in administrative costs and enforcement, because there just aren't that many cyclists, and most will ignore paying the fee.
Old 08-30-15, 08:17 PM
KingCat
Banned

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only should we have bike registration, but we should have a mandatory 5 day waiting period, background check and written test.
Old 09-01-15, 05:01 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with Aqua_Andy regarding cycling and how it's used. When I ride my bike to work, I'm actually causing LESS damage to roads since my car sits at home. I paid for a full year of insurance and registration on that car anyway.

To me, a huge part of getting into bicycles more, and especially cycle commuting, is that this hobby doesn't have the recurring insurance and registration costs like my motorcycles did.

If we are looking to get more folks out of cars and onto bicycles, then we need to provide some incentives for them and not add costs.
Old 09-01-15, 12:32 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by KingCat
Not only should we have bike registration, but we should have a mandatory 5 day waiting period, background check and written test.
This sort of thing discourages bicycle riding which results in keeping people in their cars. Not the type thing you want if you are a municipal planner trying to solve congestion and pollution.

I would rather have a mandatory 8-hours of on road bicycle experience as a requirement for the drivers licence.
Old 09-01-15, 12:42 PM
Daniel4

There are far more cyclists now, representing a much greater cross section of society, with far greater influence, and our overall contribution is still nothing more than a footnote. To believe cyclists played a significant role in the evolution of roads one must exercise very selective tunnel vision.
I like this quote from the link:

"The League fought for equal privileges with horse-drawn vehicles. All these battles were won and the bicyclist was accorded equal rights with other users of highways and streets."

Dirt roads and cobblestone roads had been around since the Roman Empire because they were suitable for horses. You can try to ride a bike on cobblestone but it wouldn't be very comfortable.

Old 09-01-15, 12:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
This sort of thing discourages bicycle riding which results in keeping people in their cars. Not the type thing you want if you are a municipal planner trying to solve congestion and pollution.

I would rather have a mandatory 8-hours of on road bicycle experience as a requirement for the drivers licence.
based on your response to this:

[B][B] Originally Posted by KingCat

You might want to have your irony detector recalibrated.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-01-15, 01:36 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Aqua_Andy
This is a great topic for discussion and one I just don't understand. Shouldn't we be rewarding cyclists for using the roads instead of trying to tax them for it? why not give tax breaks for cyclists to encourage people to leave there vehicles at home?
^THIS is where the issue lives for me. In my city if a motorist has an equipment failure:headlight, tail-light, they get a $65 summons which can usually be waived by bringing proof of compliance to the court. If a bicyclist is cited for not having required equipment the fines start at $200 and go up from there. Tags on bicycles and the fines for not having them... I can just imagine. A yearly $200 registration with fines for non-compliance starting at $1000. Or a point of sale fee on new bike sales at 25% of sales price. Non-cyclists would think this quite reasonable and when all those cyclists went back to driving the oil company execs would rejoice. But right thinking people should lament the greed and shortsightedness.
Old 09-01-15, 02:32 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by forresterace
Clearly, this is Rydabent's standard answer line - wouldn't be surprised if he had a rubber stamp to that effect.
I dont but do you know where I can get one?

This of course is about bikes, but it is just another example of under worked over paid b'crats comming up with another rule or law. If they dont come up with these insane ideas, people would get the idea they are not needed at all. BTW they arent.
Old 09-01-15, 02:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
^THIS is where the issue lives for me. In my city if a motorist has an equipment failure:headlight, tail-light, they get a $65 summons which can usually be waived by bringing proof of compliance to the court. If a bicyclist is cited for not having required equipment the fines start at $200 and go up from there. .....
Not taking a position here, except to say that I believe that bicycle registration is dumb for a myriad of reasons.

But I do want to point out a logic failure.

When a motorist is cited for a light being out, the law considers that bulbs do fail, and that can happen to anybody, so it accords a reasonable time to correct the issue. This is as it should be, and I don't see a problem. OTOH -- that's materially different from a cyclist not installing a mandated light o bell in the first place. The first can happen even to one acting in good faith compliance with the law, while the second implies willful disregard of the law. By the same token, if a cyclist has a light unit that happens not to be working at the time, then I'd expect the law to afford him the same courtesy as it would a motorist.

In a way the issue is analogous to the difference between pitching a stone and breaking someone's window, and having a rock thrown up by your tire do the same thing. The rest of the post veers into hyperbolic nonsense not worth debating.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.