Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Sirrus Questions

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Sirrus Questions

Old 04-20-16, 11:44 AM
rihoops

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Expert Carbon, Cannondale Quick 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sirrus Questions

OK. Before I'm going to order a Sirrus Expert Carbon this week can anyone make a case for the extra money for the Pro Carbon? Can anyone make the case for the X1?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-16, 09:18 AM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to get a X1 soon. I find that I am not a gear person as I dont like to change gears. So X1 is my perfect choice. Too bad it is only one color.
Old 04-22-16, 09:23 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I bought the pro carbon after riding a few of the other carbon models. Mostly because of the upgraded components, ultegra derailers, carbon cranks, slighty better hubs/wheels, and nicer disc brakes. I do love to tinker with my bikes, but I decided to just buy a high end bike and leave it be (well for now, I have been looking at carbon wheelsets lately). Before I bought it I read this forum quite a bit. One of the best bits of advice I got was to figure out where you want to be with the bike. If you intend on doing lots of upgrades then buy the lower end carbon frame model and use the money you saved for the upgrades. If you don't like to or have time to tinker then buy the nicer bike and enjoy it.
Old 04-22-16, 10:49 AM
Michael Novo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I actually went the other way. Was going to go with the Expert Carbon. Took it out and then took out the Comp Carbon. Riding on the flats and gentle rolling hills in Illinois I couldn't tell the difference...not in stopping power and not in shifting speed or crispness. The brakes for a rider my level felt identical...perhaps if I was heading down some mega mountain I'd notice. I was still going to go with the Expert but they gave me $200 off the Comp which was in stock (Expert I took out a size smaller and would have been ordered). It was a no brainer to save the cash on something that I would never notice.

On top of that...not sure if you're like me but I already feel like I'm going to ride this season and then go to a road bike after that. I have the itch to keep pushing faster on each ride and go further. Not to down sell you but I also felt that the higher the initial price tag, the bigger the depreciation when selling. I'd ride both and truly see if you can tell the difference.
Old 04-22-16, 03:50 PM
rihoops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't seem to get comfortable on a road bike no matter what I try. Maybe I'll end up upgrading some parts, but I think the Expert seems like the best choice at the moment.
Old 04-22-16, 03:53 PM
rihoops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are the wheels and cranks really worth the extra $ here? I know Ultegra is great, but 105 seems suitable.
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I bought the pro carbon after riding a few of the other carbon models. Mostly because of the upgraded components, ultegra derailers, carbon cranks, slighty better hubs/wheels, and nicer disc brakes. I do love to tinker with my bikes, but I decided to just buy a high end bike and leave it be (well for now, I have been looking at carbon wheelsets lately). Before I bought it I read this forum quite a bit. One of the best bits of advice I got was to figure out where you want to be with the bike. If you intend on doing lots of upgrades then buy the lower end carbon frame model and use the money you saved for the upgrades. If you don't like to or have time to tinker then buy the nicer bike and enjoy it.
Old 04-23-16, 10:48 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rihoops
Are the wheels and cranks really worth the extra $ here? I know Ultegra is great, but 105 seems suitable.
Hard to knock the 105 stuff, the cranks are just lighter, and wheels are the same but have nicer hubs. To me this is like asking if you should buy a Toyota or a Lexus. Both are similar vehicles and made well but one is definitely more elegant. For me it was worth it, but you have to decide if it is right for you.
Old 04-24-16, 12:08 AM
Perrinsf

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rihoops
I can't seem to get comfortable on a road bike no matter what I try. Maybe I'll end up upgrading some parts, but I think the Expert seems like the best choice at the moment.
I'm with you. I just can't comfortably ride a road bike either. All my friends do. Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse. Giant Defy, etc. all nice endurance carbon road bikes, but just not me. Been on a quest to try and mimic the road bike to keep up, but with a straight bar. Bought 2015 Sirrus Carbon Elite. Stickered for 1,500, but got it for 970. Too hard to pass up. I do regret at times not having the higher end wheels and components of the expert or pro. Do have new tires and upgraded wheels coming though....I still lag by 1-3 mph average speed behind my road bike riders. Hopefully wheels and tires will help...
Old 04-25-16, 06:39 PM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Offering up a compromise between hybrid and road for those who don't like the feel of road bikes but maybe want more performance than hybrid. The Diverge is a new cross bike from Specialized that might fit this in-between catagory. It rides well on both road and paths/trails with a more comfortable geometry than road.
Old 04-26-16, 02:05 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its far from hybrid, its more a Roubaix on EPO, also called a gravelbike with dropbars and wider tires than a flatbar roadbike! But it is a beautyful all2do bike
Old 05-06-16, 03:29 PM
CTOlsen

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp disk.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Novo
I actually went the other way. Was going to go with the Expert Carbon. Took it out and then took out the Comp Carbon. Riding on the flats and gentle rolling hills in Illinois I couldn't tell the difference...not in stopping power and not in shifting speed or crispness. The brakes for a rider my level felt identical...perhaps if I was heading down some mega mountain I'd notice. I was still going to go with the Expert but they gave me $200 off the Comp which was in stock (Expert I took out a size smaller and would have been ordered). It was a no brainer to save the cash on something that I would never notice.

On top of that...not sure if you're like me but I already feel like I'm going to ride this season and then go to a road bike after that. I have the itch to keep pushing faster on each ride and go further. Not to down sell you but I also felt that the higher the initial price tag, the bigger the depreciation when selling. I'd ride both and truly see if you can tell the difference.
I bought the Comp Carbon as well. Just moved up to Carbon from an Auminum fitness bike, and love it. I don't need the higher end components, would not be able to appreciate the difference. What I DO need is the extra gear ratio the Comp offers with a 34 tooth cassette gear, for a ratio of about .91. loving it in Mystic!
Old 05-14-16, 09:49 AM
rihoops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike is in and looks great. Very happy so far. Maiden voyage a bit later this afternoon and I will post some impressions periodically.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2490.jpg (101.3 KB, 83 views)
Old 05-14-16, 10:47 AM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655
Offering up a compromise between hybrid and road for those who don't like the feel of road bikes but maybe want more performance than hybrid. The Diverge is a new cross bike from Specialized that might fit this in-between catagory. It rides well on both road and paths/trails with a more comfortable geometry than road.

Flat bar gravel road/adventure bikes are available. They carry forward the endurance geometry of drop bar road bikes but are suitable for people who don't feel comfortable on a drop bar road bike. Lots of brands have them now.