Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

anyone ever actually used a ulock as a weapon?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

anyone ever actually used a ulock as a weapon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 09:31 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
European countries average about a third the murder rate of the US. Whether or not their system is good for us, it's obviously working for them. Not something to complain about.

That said, knives and guns are terrible for locking bikes up; they're very easy to defeat, usually with simple bolt-cutters.
Old 02-11-09, 09:28 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2mtr
So i always hear and read of people talking about how they'd "Smash that ******* with a ulock" or "That's what a good couple pounds of steel is for" or whatever.
No, but I had a bike stolen during the infamous L.A. Street Scene in September of 1985 while attending a Midnight Oil concert where armed police on horseback charged the stage in the middle of "Power and the Passion".

The thieves took the bike with a bolt cutter but left the lock and chain. All of downtown L.A. was in a riot that night, so I inserted the lock through the ends of the chain and walked back home ready to use it as a weapon if needed.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-23-10, 02:36 AM
mastertongue

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two summers ago was riding downtown when some plump chick cut me off pretty fast in a honda civic, pushing me into the traintracks/where cars also ride over. almost lost control, barely missed the tracks themselves with my tires...I sped up in traffic, mashed the pedals for all i was worth, and drew my Krypto mini from the backpocket. Approached passenger side window when she was @ the red light 5 or 6 blocks up from where she cut me off, piled behind a few other cagers. One fast whack (even with the weaker left hand!!!!) completely destroyed her window. I heard the most angry blood curdling scream as i continued through the redlight. My adrenaline was pumping and i truly felt victorious.

and last night had a situation similar only this time I happened to flip off the driver after cutting me off (bad move on my part). He slammed on his breaks ~30 feet in front of me, and moving pretty quick myself, had to swerve for the 2nd time. He got out of the car calmly and approached me without saying a word, I drew the mini again and had it ready. he got back into the car, no problems...
Old 03-04-17, 05:50 AM
mrrossh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can only remember one incident when I was younger involving a U-Lock...

I was a teenager in the late 90s and I had a brand new bike - a Giant Boulder in two-tone silver/red. (I still miss that bike 20 years later) I was riding down a marked cycle lane on the seafront promenade, it was early Sunday morning and virtually deserted - except for one crazy guy who ran over and tried to hit me with a wine bottle as I passed by him.

I immediately assumed it was an attempted mugging or something - so I yanked on the brakes and skidded round 180, leaning the bike on the railings and grabbing my U-lock out my backpack - a big hefty cast iron thing with the 'U' wrapped in bar tape so as not to scratch my frame - which made a convenient grippy handle as well.

The guy who had swung at me looked shocked as he saw it, and started walking backwards away from me as I got closer. I broke into a run with the lock raised over my head and as he turned to try and run, I caught him square in his back and sent him flat on his face, then jumped on his back whilst he was down.

I remember thinking to myself "If I aim for his head, that's attempted murder." - so I pinned his arm down with my knee and smashed the lock repeatedly into the back of his hand and fingers, and once into his wrist for good measure. He started screaming in pain so I figured I had at least broken a couple of his fingers. I got up off him and walked away, I issued a couple death threats as I left. I was worried about getting arrested after that, but the cops never came for me.
Old 03-04-17, 06:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,549 Times in 7,330 Posts
The zombie apocalypse is upon us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (7.1 KB, 100 views)
Old 03-04-17, 06:38 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts

LOL!!!
Old 03-04-17, 06:42 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
This is a pretty resilient thread. There are comments on page 2 about its revival back when it was only four years old. I have nothing more to contribute here since I use cable locks.
Old 03-04-17, 07:05 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
A bizarre first post in a forum. Not only digging up a 12 year old thread albeit the last posting prior was only 7 years old, to the internet search topic that found this forum and compelled one to join so they could boast about assaulting someone.
Old 03-04-17, 07:20 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrossh
Can only remember one incident when I was younger involving a U-Lock...

I was a teenager in the late 90s and I had a brand new bike - a Giant Boulder in two-tone silver/red. (I still miss that bike 20 years later) I was riding down a marked cycle lane on the seafront promenade, it was early Sunday morning and virtually deserted - except for one crazy guy who ran over and tried to hit me with a wine bottle as I passed by him.

I immediately assumed it was an attempted mugging or something - so I yanked on the brakes and skidded round 180, leaning the bike on the railings and grabbing my U-lock out my backpack - a big hefty cast iron thing with the 'U' wrapped in bar tape so as not to scratch my frame - which made a convenient grippy handle as well.

The guy who had swung at me looked shocked as he saw it, and started walking backwards away from me as I got closer. I broke into a run with the lock raised over my head and as he turned to try and run, I caught him square in his back and sent him flat on his face, then jumped on his back whilst he was down.

I remember thinking to myself "If I aim for his head, that's attempted murder." - so I pinned his arm down with my knee and smashed the lock repeatedly into the back of his hand and fingers, and once into his wrist for good measure. He started screaming in pain so I figured I had at least broken a couple of his fingers. I got up off him and walked away, I issued a couple death threats as I left. I was worried about getting arrested after that, but the cops never came for me.
>>>> OPERATION WEREWOLF
Old 03-04-17, 09:14 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Considering that U-locks have diminished considerably since this thread was opened, I assume that there are a lot of unused old Ulocks around that would appreciate being used for anything at all.....
Old 03-04-17, 10:48 AM
LiquorLad

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
U-locks have diminished considerably since this thread was opened
Apparently you don't live in a major city.
Old 03-04-17, 12:34 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually knowing how to fight without using any weapons besides your own body is far superior, and a lot more practical and effective in most situations. Someone that actually knows how to fight will be able to neutralize most weapons, especially heavy slow ones like a U-Lock quickly and easily. And pulling a weapon on such a person, could get you killed, or at least permanent maimed and disabled.
Old 03-04-17, 12:47 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I wish someone would use a U-lock on this thread.
Old 03-04-17, 12:50 PM
mrrossh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
A bizarre first post in a forum. Not only digging up a 12 year old thread albeit the last posting prior was only 7 years old, to the internet search topic that found this forum and compelled one to join so they could boast about assaulting someone.
You can flame me all you want, we'll see how you react when you are cycling through a sketchy hood minding your own business and someone jumps out and tries to swing a bottle in your face. I'm not the one who started a thread asking if a U-lock could be used as a weapon. And if you are a cyclist under attack, is the U-lock not kind of the obvious choice?

Was my reaction that day questionable? Yeah, maybe. I had a choice to make at the time and I made it. I grew up learning how to fight back, it's what I believed in at the time - and to a lesser extent, what I still believe in.
Old 03-04-17, 12:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

Old 03-04-17, 05:35 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Attempted murder. Anyone that blocks you in like that needs to be run over.
Old 03-04-17, 05:43 PM
Talkinghalls

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In all seriousness I hope if anyone here has used a U-lock as a weapon they wouldn't brag about it on an open forum... Talk about opening yourself up for a law suit.
Old 03-04-17, 06:43 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I wish someone would use a U-lock on this thread.
Great idea.

Thread closed.