Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Smartphone apps for cycling.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 08:40 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts

I'm not for the idea of attaching my smartphone to my bicycle but I have a couple old smartphones that aren't connected to to a wireless network.
I know I can download Nokia Here for navigation because it uses gps only so I'm wondering if there would be any other apps that might be useful
that don't rely on a wireless network.
Old 07-14-18, 10:54 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Wahoo Fitness.
Old 07-14-18, 11:03 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I use maps.me. You do have to initially download the maps for the regions you're interested in, but after that, maps are available for offline use.

I've never actually tried the navigation, but I've found it really useful for using GPS to figure out where I am when I'm lost out in the country out of cell service range.
Old 07-14-18, 11:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Strava's free version has plenty of features so I haven't felt any need for the premium version. It uses GPS and the data can be uploaded later via wifi.

Wahoo Fitness for iPhone is excellent but the Android version was lacking at least one crucial feature last time I tried it -- auto pause/resume. And it seemed a bit buggy compared with the iOS version. I use Wahoo Fitness on my iPhone 4s, including for indoor trainer sessions. Then I'll upload to Strava later. It records workouts to your device or cloud if you prefer, or don't use Strava.

Ditto maps.me for basic navigation. It lacks some features of Google maps, but maps.me seems to be one of the better implementations of OsmAnd maps.

Google map is also available for offline use, but lacks some features that are available only with a data connection or wifi. An advantage to Google maps is our activities can be recorded and stored to our private timeline (synced later via wifi). No user intervention needed to start/pause/stop the recording. Turn it on by default and it runs. Some folks don't like this. I do because it can help provide a neutral, mute witness in the event of a collision or accident -- motor vehicle, animal collision, rider mistake, etc. It helped confirm my version of events when I was struck by a car a couple of months ago. It also records my many medical appointments related to the injury. And it's private unless I choose to share it. Google activities data *can* be transferred to Strava, but it's necessary to convert to a data format Strava can use. Takes a few steps. More trouble than it's worth if the ultimate goal is to upload to Strava. Easier to just use Strava, or another compatible app. Google activities timeline is more of a personal "Where was I on such and such day?" journal.

Cyclemeter is very good in both iOS and Android for only $10/year. It can record all kinds of data and is user customizable to suit preferred workouts. I had a subscription until this year when I let it lapse. I do miss the voice aids while riding, and the customizable timers and prompts for interval workouts. Cyclemeter can store data only on the device, if the user prefers, or upload to the cloud for reasonable privacy with backup, or to Strava. The only hitch is that you must maintain a subscription to access your old data, unless you transferred the data to your computer, cloud storage, etc.

I've tried a dozen other apps but none of them really clicked with me. Some folks swear by 'em. I mostly swore at 'em.
Old 07-15-18, 12:02 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I use Mapfactor Navigator for which I have the whole world downloaded. This is one app that never fails me, whether riding, driving in a car or sitting in an airplane.
Old 07-15-18, 03:35 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Strava's free version has plenty of features so I haven't felt any need for the premium version. It uses GPS and the data can be uploaded later via wifi.

Wahoo Fitness for iPhone is excellent but the Android version was lacking at least one crucial feature last time I tried it -- auto pause/resume. And it seemed a bit buggy compared with the iOS version. I use Wahoo Fitness on my iPhone 4s, including for indoor trainer sessions. Then I'll upload to Strava later. It records workouts to your device or cloud if you prefer, or don't use Strava.

Ditto maps.me for basic navigation. It lacks some features of Google maps, but maps.me seems to be one of the better implementations of OsmAnd maps.

Google map is also available for offline use, but lacks some features that are available only with a data connection or wifi. An advantage to Google maps is our activities can be recorded and stored to our private timeline (synced later via wifi). No user intervention needed to start/pause/stop the recording. Turn it on by default and it runs. Some folks don't like this. I do because it can help provide a neutral, mute witness in the event of a collision or accident -- motor vehicle, animal collision, rider mistake, etc. It helped confirm my version of events when I was struck by a car a couple of months ago. It also records my many medical appointments related to the injury. And it's private unless I choose to share it. Google activities data *can* be transferred to Strava, but it's necessary to convert to a data format Strava can use. Takes a few steps. More trouble than it's worth if the ultimate goal is to upload to Strava. Easier to just use Strava, or another compatible app. Google activities timeline is more of a personal "Where was I on such and such day?" journal.

Cyclemeter is very good in both iOS and Android for only $10/year. It can record all kinds of data and is user customizable to suit preferred workouts. I had a subscription until this year when I let it lapse. I do miss the voice aids while riding, and the customizable timers and prompts for interval workouts. Cyclemeter can store data only on the device, if the user prefers, or upload to the cloud for reasonable privacy with backup, or to Strava. The only hitch is that you must maintain a subscription to access your old data, unless you transferred the data to your computer, cloud storage, etc.

I've tried a dozen other apps but none of them really clicked with me. Some folks swear by 'em. I mostly swore at 'em.

Got question on Google Maps ... I'll often download the area I'll be riding to an off-line Google Map. I mostly use it to find my current location in case I think I'm lost (I'm typically using a cue sheet for navigation or just exploring new roads without any cue or navigation aids). The one or two times I've tried to use the navigation/gps to take me back to a specific location, I found that it only gave 'driving' instructions (for a car), that is, I was told the cycling directions feature wasn't available for off-line maps. The problem is, driving directions could take you on a highway. Do you know if the cycling directions feature is available when using off-line Google Maps ... did I miss something? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-18, 04:05 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 407 Posts
I like Topeak Panobike. It keeps track of speed, time, elevation changes, temperature, and can map your ride. It also pauses automatically when you stop. I use the Topeak phone mount, which stays put, and is weatherproof without being too ugly. The mount is a little expensive, but the app is free.
Old 07-15-18, 08:00 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Wahoo now does auto stop/start. Without a speed sensor and just GPS it is a little annoying because iif you stop for a break and walk around it will think you are starting and stopping.
Old 07-15-18, 10:50 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Wahoo Fitness is a totally free app with no upgrade subscription required in order to get all the features of the app, including sensor pairing. Other cycling apps have free, limited feature versions that allow bare bones GPS features with some apps having advertisements appear until you pay for the subscription. My suggestion is to do a search in Google Apps or the AppStore for "bicycling apps" and see which one you fell will best fit your needs.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-15-18, 02:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Ah, I see a recent update for Wahoo Fitness for Android. I'll try it again this afternoon.

While Wahoo Fitness records reasonably complete data, it does not display that data. The app displays only a very limited amount of data. To see more data you need to upload it to Strava or some other app or software that can use the data recorded by Wahoo Fitness.

However I see the same problem with Google still exists, per a recent complaint on the Google Play store: Wahoo Fitness data will not upload to Strava if the Strava account is linked to a Google account. Same problem I had the past two years before uninstalling Wahoo Fitness for Android. However Wahoo Fitness will upload to a Strava account that's linked to Facebook. Apparently Google determined Wahoo Fitness did not comply with some standard for security, but it's still not clear what the problem is.

BTW, Cyclemeter records even more data and can upload it to Strava. For example, Cyclemeter will incorporate basic weather data from whatever app is on your mobile device and attach that to a Strava log. Wahoo Fitness and some other apps still don't attach weather data.
Old 07-15-18, 02:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by dennis336
Got question on Google Maps ... I'll often download the area I'll be riding to an off-line Google Map. I mostly use it to find my current location in case I think I'm lost (I'm typically using a cue sheet for navigation or just exploring new roads without any cue or navigation aids). The one or two times I've tried to use the navigation/gps to take me back to a specific location, I found that it only gave 'driving' instructions (for a car), that is, I was told the cycling directions feature wasn't available for off-line maps. The problem is, driving directions could take you on a highway. Do you know if the cycling directions feature is available when using off-line Google Maps ... did I miss something? Thanks in advance.
I recall having that problem too, at least on my old iPhone which didn't have a data plan. Offline Google maps defaulted to driving and there didn't appear to be any way to set it to cycling. That's one reason I switched to OsmAnd and maps.me for offline navigation.

I'll need to check Google maps on my Android phone set to offline mode only next time I ride to see whether it's possible, or easy, to switch to cycling mode.

Keep in mind that Google maps cannot be trusted to choose the safest cycling routes, online or offline. In some areas Google will choose the hardest possible route or even a dangerous route that involves heavy traffic, no shoulder or second lane to avoid traffic backing up behind you and attempting unsafe passes. Even with Google navigation it's essential to keep your eyes on stalks and head on a swivel.

The only reason I use Google maps (with my data enabled for near-realtime updates) is for exploring a new-to-me route. If I don't like the looks of a road when I reach that waypoint, I'll find another route. Google is good about updating quickly to suggest navigation to accommodate the new improvised route. Maps.me and OsmAnd do not work nearly as well -- they'll repeatedly suggest a U-turn and backtracking, rather than adapting and suggesting new routes.
Old 07-15-18, 06:38 PM
dennis336

I recall having that problem too, at least on my old iPhone which didn't have a data plan. Offline Google maps defaulted to driving and there didn't appear to be any way to set it to cycling. That's one reason I switched to OsmAnd and maps.me for offline navigation.

I'll need to check Google maps on my Android phone set to offline mode only next time I ride to see whether it's possible, or easy, to switch to cycling mode.

Keep in mind that Google maps cannot be trusted to choose the safest cycling routes, online or offline. In some areas Google will choose the hardest possible route or even a dangerous route that involves heavy traffic, no shoulder or second lane to avoid traffic backing up behind you and attempting unsafe passes. Even with Google navigation it's essential to keep your eyes on stalks and head on a swivel.

The only reason I use Google maps (with my data enabled for near-realtime updates) is for exploring a new-to-me route. If I don't like the looks of a road when I reach that waypoint, I'll find another route. Google is good about updating quickly to suggest navigation to accommodate the new improvised route. Maps.me and OsmAnd do not work nearly as well -- they'll repeatedly suggest a U-turn and backtracking, rather than adapting and suggesting new routes.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've got an Android phone and I wasn't seeing a cycling option. Only used it to navigate once, when I bailed out of a ride and get back to the start. Fortunately, I knew roughly where to go so I could ignore instructions to get on the highway and just let it re-calculate. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-18, 06:45 PM
dennis336

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've got an Android phone and I wasn't seeing a cycling option. Only used it to navigate once, when I bailed out of a ride and get back to the start. Fortunately, I knew roughly where to go so I could ignore instructions to get on the highway and just let it re-calculate. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-18, 07:13 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Luddite perspective...... Why bugger up a bike with electronic gizmos?
Old 07-15-18, 11:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by rgconner
Wahoo now does auto stop/start. Without a speed sensor and just GPS it is a little annoying because iif you stop for a break and walk around it will think you are starting and stopping.
Okay, I tried Wahoo Fitness for Android Sunday evening, along with Strava. Yup, Wahoo Fitness is much improved.

As you noted the auto pause/resume can be reactivated by walking around, and there doesn't appear to be a threshold setting -- some apps allow setting a fairly high threshold of speed, around 5 mph, to distinguish between riding and walking. Strava's threshold appears to be fairly high.

But I noticed when I uploaded both to Strava the data were nearly identical. So Strava is able to interpret Wahoo Fitness data to determine where the pauses should be so those slowdowns are ignored and not counted against the average riding speed.
Old 07-16-18, 07:37 AM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I like Runtastic.
Old 07-16-18, 07:50 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Luddite perspective...... Why bugger up a bike with electronic gizmos?
With a smartphone, no gizmos reqd. Start the app, put the phone in your pocket, ride on, that being said, I love my Garmin. I get strange looks with it mounted on my old Raleigh or Legnano, but it works for me. Dont like gizmos? Don't use them.

The only phone app I use is Relive. It is a free app that produces an overhead 3D video of your ride along with elevation data, top speed, average speed, even heart rate. You can also add photos on the fly, though I've had trouble getting them to display at the point where I take them. You have to pause the app, take the picture, resume the app, continue riding. Too much of a dance to deal with, but the basic app works great. Check it out. My phone is an Android Galaxy S5. It will also take the data from your Garmin, if you want to clutter your bike with electronic gizmos, like do.
Heres a link to a recent ride, if I pasted it right, I am kind of a luddite, I always have trouble with the "Paste URL" on the forum.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g22292128388

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-16-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-16-18, 08:46 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Okay, I tried Wahoo Fitness for Android Sunday evening, along with Strava. Yup, Wahoo Fitness is much improved.

As you noted the auto pause/resume can be reactivated by walking around, and there doesn't appear to be a threshold setting -- some apps allow setting a fairly high threshold of speed, around 5 mph, to distinguish between riding and walking. Strava's threshold appears to be fairly high.

But I noticed when I uploaded both to Strava the data were nearly identical. So Strava is able to interpret Wahoo Fitness data to determine where the pauses should be so those slowdowns are ignored and not counted against the average riding speed.
Strava uses the time stamps within the GPS point itself, and ignores the Wahoo app's time calculations.
Old 07-16-18, 06:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by ksryder
Strava uses the time stamps within the GPS point itself, and ignores the Wahoo app's time calculations.
Thanks, that explains the differences. I ran Strava and Wahoo Fitness yesterday (Android phone). Both recorded similar distance, off by only 1/10 mile. But Strava guesstimated my average speed at 14.7 mph, which seemed about right for my leisurely pace in hot weather -- and my cheap bike computer agreed.

But Wahoo Fitness said 11.6 mph -- and also continued recording my movement in my apartment before I remembered to finish and close the ride log. So Wahoo Fitness' auto pause/resume has a much lower threshold than Strava.

When I used Cyclemeter last year it tended to overestimate my average speed, possibly because the threshold for auto pause/resume was set fairly high, probably above 5 mph. So when my cycling speed dropped below my usual 7-8 mph pace on a steep climb, Cyclemeter regarded me as stopped until my speed picked up again. But as you've described, when Cyclemeter logs were uploaded to Strava the numbers were nearly identical to whatever I recorded directly to Strava.
Old 07-16-18, 07:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Samsung's "Health" app has a cycling module that does all I need. Came with the phone and doesn't show advertising. What's not to like?
Old 07-17-18, 08:15 AM
pcf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use Bike Maps on my iPhone. Works great, gives a good summary of each ride.
Old 07-17-18, 08:57 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
MapMyRide on Android works for me... along with a Fitbit fitness tracker to track heart rate.
Old 07-17-18, 09:15 AM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
If Wahoo Fitness has the auto-pause working, that's probably what I would go for. If you want something that does more, but is less user friendly, IpBike is good. It does pretty much anything a regular cycling computer can, but definitely takes a bit to get used to.
Old 07-18-18, 09:40 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Thanks everyone. I tried out the Wahoo Fitness and it worked out very well using GPS alone and it did auto pause.
Old 01-15-20, 05:43 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Guess it depends what you mainly want to use it for but I use OsmAnd for navigation as it's about the only free one that gives voice turn by turn directions and it worked flawlessly on 130 mile mini tour we did using imported routes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.