Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for tips for transporting laptop

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Looking for tips for transporting laptop

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 05:41 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Why they're better quality and excellent value per £,$,€.

I'll never go back to a non-Mac.
Macs are good for desktop publishing and artsy production. I use to feel the way you do and then found ThinkPad. Thinkpads last longer, are built like tanks, much more serviceable and in the long run a better value. A ton more software available too.
Old 10-17-18, 05:42 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Old 10-17-18, 07:16 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
Thinkpads last longer, are built like tanks, much more serviceable and in the long run a better value. A ton more software available too.
No, they're hardcore science machines due to the proximity of OSX to Unix. Most people in my field run Macs, and this field has won the most Nobels in Chemistry in the last 10 years (X-ray crystallography.)

Crystallography on OS X - OS X Scientific Computing

I think you're prejudiced and working with outdated information, but that's what I would expect.

In addition, I think it's quite hard to question the durability of just about any Mac product. I'm typing this on a 2012 rMBP that's seen more usage than just about any ThinkPad (Lenovo) machine in existence.
Old 10-17-18, 11:13 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

I think you're prejudiced and working with outdated information, but that's what I would expect.

In addition, I think it's quite hard to question the durability of just about any Mac product. I'm typing this on a 2012 rMBP that's seen more usage than just about any ThinkPad (Lenovo) machine in existence.
You sound like an elitist snob with a narrow mind but sometimes things written on the net come out wrong. I've owned both and now only work with ThinkPads. Simple economics and engineering. Do the math and count the ThinkPads vs MBPs here.

Granted the US govt recently suspended ThinkPad usage on the ISS and has gone to HP laptops. Can your MBP do this?

Old 10-17-18, 11:19 AM
acidfast7
Banned

You sound like an elitist snob with a narrow mind but sometimes things written on the net come out wrong. I've owned both and now only work with ThinkPads. Simple economics and engineering. Do the math and count the ThinkPads vs MBPs here.

Granted the US govt recently suspended ThinkPad usage on the ISS and has gone to HP laptops. Can your MBP do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cvi00OZDM
Most space programme are obsolete. We can discuss the nuances at some other point.

I've got a research group to run that publishes quite well on Apple products. You started the aggressive conversation and can't really finish can you?
Old 10-17-18, 11:40 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Most space programme are obsolete. We can discuss the nuances at some other point.

I've got a research group to run that publishes quite well on Apple products. You started the aggressive conversation and can't really finish can you?
Your rebuttals consist of nothing more than boasts and disparaging comments. ThinkPads run OS X too.
Old 10-17-18, 11:55 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I can say something good about any computer. In the above case, both are excellent machines. Mac biggest claim to fame is its unibody and lightness, and of course, industry leading customer service. Lenovo has move up significantly in recent times and challenge to be the largest manufacture in the world. Their computers have become very stylish, and cover a wide gamut from thin and light, to workstation.
Old 10-17-18, 12:28 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Your rebuttals consist of nothing more than boasts and disparaging comments. ThinkPads run OS X too.
I'm providing examples, albeit my own so it is boasting as well (feel free to contribute to such behaviour unless there is nothing to boast about). I'm pushing out papers that can't have a single calculation error, do you think I'm going to run a hackintosh? This is what happens when a sign is flipped.

Retraction | Science

I think you neither need to start providing examples or bowing out of the conversation as all of your commentary has been unevidenced by anything you've participated in. Maybe, I'm wrong here, but so far it doesn't seem like it.
Old 10-17-18, 01:14 PM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

I'm providing examples, albeit my own so it is boasting as well (feel free to contribute to such behaviour unless there is nothing to boast about). I'm pushing out papers that can't have a single calculation error, do you think I'm going to run a hackintosh? This is what happens when a sign is flipped.

Retraction | Science

I think you neither need to start providing examples or bowing out of the conversation as all of your commentary has been unevidenced by anything you've participated in. Maybe, I'm wrong here, but so far it doesn't seem like it.
In all fairness, it appears the retraction is due to an in-house reduction program which I interpret as software, not hardware. I ain't running a hackintosh either, but know it's possible to run OS X on a ThinkPad. I do run W7/W10/Kali/Arch/Debian on TPs and the batteries are replaceable by myself.

We'll agree to disagree. My bride is an artist who runs high dollar Macs. I know Macs are beautiful machines but at some point the money runs thin. In a perfect environment, nothing fails but we all know Murphy's Law too well and can only plan ahead.
Old 10-17-18, 02:02 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I know Macs are beautiful machines but at some point the money runs thin.
No successful person would spend their own money on Mac. It's either by governmental grant or a depreciating business asset. It's not different than any other piece of lab or business equipment.