Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What time is the next train (station decal)?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What time is the next train (station decal)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 05:19 PM
cannonride15

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly

Thats a REALLY good idea, I know the Cannonball will be a firmer ride than my Trek tourer, but that Miyata 1000LT is built like brick outhouse... I’m in��
Great, look forward to hearing your results! Personally I don't get these people that say Cannondales are so harsh, one guy on the 'Show us your Cannondales' thread wants to give his away...A Silk Road I believe. If that's really the case, Cannondale really missed the mark in naming that one!
Old 03-13-19, 06:22 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by cannonride15
Personally I don't get these people that say Cannondales are so harsh, one guy on the 'Show us your Cannondales' thread wants to give his away...
Yup. I guess I'm one of "these people" (?) I'm not that same guy but I had an R500 CAD2 that was so harsh, I gave it to a friend who built it up for someone else. You can't assume all sizes and models ride the same. They don't.
I like C-dales, I've had 3 of them, still have one.
Old 03-14-19, 12:17 PM
cannonride15

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Yup. I guess I'm one of "these people" (?) I'm not that same guy but I had an R500 CAD2 that was so harsh, I gave it to a friend who built it up for someone else. You can't assume all sizes and models ride the same. They don't.
I like C-dales, I've had 3 of them, still have one.
Fair enough, sorry to hear your CAD2 was harsh. Harsh in what regard, like narrow, high pressure tire harsh? Thought the later generation CAD designs were supposed to be improvements over early gen. models. I can only relate to the ones I own, so I guess I've been narrow minded! Narrow tires do not promote comfortable ride, My SR800 with 23mm tires is no where near as comfortable as the ST400 with 32mm tires. Also, it requires more attention to ride without wandering due to frame geometry, but not frame material. I attribute ride quality (comfort) to tire selection (suppleness) and pressure, not to frame material or wheel construction. But that's just me, YMMV. Glad to hear at least one Cannondale works for you, what model is that one?
Old 03-14-19, 01:16 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Glad to hear at least one Cannondale works for you, what model is that one?
I had a 92 T1000 and currently have an 88 SM500 with fat tires. My CAD2 was built all retro road, SR group, MA2's running narrow tires as was fashionable. At the same time I had an 86 Japanese Bianchi 022 frame with Campy drops and Suntour Sprint group that ate up the miles with no discomfort, usually with 23's or even 20's. Night and day so I moved the Cannondale along. The Bianchi was pretty much the same weight to boot.

I'd love to find an ST but they're not as common up here and prices stay high. I'm amazed at how little you folks pay for these bikes.
Old 03-14-19, 02:47 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
So I saw the thread title and I broke out my train schedule and then logged in ready to help. Then I realized it had nothing to do with trains...or does it?

Did I miss something?

Great looking bike though!
Old 03-14-19, 09:10 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
So I saw the thread title and I broke out my train schedule and then logged in ready to help. Then I realized it had nothing to do with trains...or does it?

Did I miss something?

Great looking bike though!
Just a dumb joke I made up, referring to the headbadge on the 1980s Cannondales. 😉 What looks like a house (at first) is actually the train station, that they borrowed the name "Cannondale" from. 😀
I finally got signed up at vintage cannondale today, so "might" eventually figure out if mine was sold in '85 or '86, or sold as a frame or complete bike. But I have no idea if they kept records, so it might be all wishful thinking. 🤔 😉
BTW, thanks for the compliment, she appreciates it. 😎
Old 03-15-19, 05:53 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine

Just a dumb joke I made up, referring to the headbadge on the 1980s Cannondales. 😉 What looks like a house (at first) is actually the train station, that they borrowed the name "Cannondale" from. 😀
I finally got signed up at vintage cannondale today, so "might" eventually figure out if mine was sold in '85 or '86, or sold as a frame or complete bike. But I have no idea if they kept records, so it might be all wishful thinking. 🤔 😉
BTW, thanks for the compliment, she appreciates it. 😎
Hah! I had no idea about the headbadge and the Cannondale name. That's why I hang out here, I just keep learning things!
Old 03-15-19, 06:05 PM
cannonride15

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I had a 92 T1000 and currently have an 88 SM500 with fat tires. My CAD2 was built all retro road, SR group, MA2's running narrow tires as was fashionable. At the same time I had an 86 Japanese Bianchi 022 frame with Campy drops and Suntour Sprint group that ate up the miles with no discomfort, usually with 23's or even 20's. Night and day so I moved the Cannondale along. The Bianchi was pretty much the same weight to boot.

I'd love to find an ST but they're not as common up here and prices stay high. I'm amazed at how little you folks pay for these bikes.
@clubman, a shame you let the T1000 go, it being essentially an ST; Cannondale deleting the S prefix in early nineties, same frame though. Yea Cannondales can be pretty reasonable, check out some for sale on this site, Complete Cannondale For Sale | Vintage Cannondale Community.
Interesting comment on the Bianchi's ride, hopefully I'll experience the same on a Japanese Bianchi Premio I picked up and is in work along with a mid eighties, mid level Peugeot PH10LS in my quest to find the reality of steel. Wish me luck!
Old 03-15-19, 07:25 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

@clubman, a shame you let the T1000 go,
Yeah but in 1999 we'd just had our 2nd kid in 2 years and my touring days were over. I got $900 for the bike and bags so that bought 4500 diapers.