Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Electric Bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Electric Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 12:24 PM
ging

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Electric Bike

I am semi retired and would like to try electric bike on the back of my motorhome on our next trip.
I am wondering when the battery is depleted how much harder is it to ride the bike?
which brands are the Cadillac's of the industry?
thank you
Old 04-29-19, 02:23 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
With an ebike, you’re still lugging the battery and the motor around when the battery goes out. And some ebikes seem to have gearing ratio optimized for motor assist.
With that said, my mid-motor ebike rides fairly well w/o assist. As well as can be expected considering weight, ride position and gearing ratio.
Hub motor bikes are supposed to add more rolling resistance off power, but I can’t verify or quantify that.
Old 04-29-19, 02:59 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
You can remove the battery on most ebikes, but still have a 10 - 15 pound weight penalty, so some extra resistance; also, gearing that may not be optimal (I changed my front chainring to resolve this issue). All OEM mid-drives (AFAIK) have geared motors (look at the tutorial on ebikesca or wiki to learn the differences between geared and direct drive), so have minimal extra resistance. Some hub drives have geared motors too. Some individuals claim their DD motors have no resistance, but not in my experience. You'll need to ride the OEM's to find the Cadillac IMO since many are "you too".

Last edited by 2old; 04-30-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 07:34 PM
ging

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thank you, very good information
Old 04-29-19, 11:12 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My first ebike was a conversion of a relatively heavy steel frame Trek mountain bike. It added 12 pounds, but I compensated by losing 20 pounds. Sad to say, 10 pounds came back every winter and it would be gone by May. This year, with endless winter, that 10 pounds is still there. I have work to do.

From my test rides,commercially available ebikes that I've ridden have little if any drag w/o power. I tried direct drive motors like on the Stromer and Elby to derive that conclusion. Geared motors should only have the drag of their internal clutches. Someone who rides a 22 pound road bike can probably feel that, but an old guy like me, no way.

Nonetheless, if you haven't been riding regularly, a good ebike will still feel pretty heavy w/o power at first. However, it's rare that users come home without power. They learn to manage their riding.

Many bike enthusiasts gravitate toward faster Class III mid motor ebikes which are pedal assist only. Those tend to be the Cadillacs as they cost the most. But they don't go unless you pedal them, even if the pedaling is like butter.,

I would recommend a Class II that has both throttle and pedal assist for someone who is less enthusiastic. They limit out at 20 mph, which is plenty for most riders. The dreaded throttle is not considered sporting and might even get your bike confiscated in NYC, but is great for starting at a crosswalk and for a little boost up a hill.

Anyway, all my bikes have throttles but I ride with pedal assist for exercise.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 04-29-19 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 10:29 PM
MikeDD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should check out Electric Bike Review.
Old 05-04-19, 12:27 PM
electricbikers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Everyone

Thank you for your valuable opinion & exact information.