Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Steel is real and I want it.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Steel is real and I want it.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 09:18 AM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
That FBM frame looks pretty decent, except very limited sizing options, and their "suggested sizes" are kinda ridiculous.

You can get custom measurements and paint as well.
Old 05-05-19, 09:21 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Yeah, starting at $1550.
Old 05-05-19, 09:22 AM
seau grateau

Also they say they don't suggest using height to determine frame size right after they suggest using height to determine frame size?
Old 05-05-19, 11:42 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
the most recent sword square geometry is a bit tight imo. i have an older sword circa 2009 and it’s 52cm c-c with a 55cm top tube.
Old 05-06-19, 09:41 AM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
It seems like they have more sizes now, and at sub $700 prices (For both frame and fork_.
https://www.lastcalldistro.com/xcart...-SQ-Frame.html

Without fork it's freaking $524!
That's an extremely good price for a made to order frameset (Even more surprising if you consider that it's made here).

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 05-06-19 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 04:46 PM
StirFry

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
The Sword looks really nice. I've been getting the itch to "upgrade" from my gazzetta. This might be the one. Looks like the 74 is a little slacker than my the current 75 I'm at. How does 4130 compare to my gazzetta's cromor?

I wonder what the frame weighs?

Last edited by StirFry; 05-06-19 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 04:57 PM
seau grateau

Cromor is at the low end of Columbus' tubeset range, so they're probably in/around the same bracket.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 05-06-19, 08:53 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
It's just straight gauge 4130. BMX companies usually don't source bad crmo as people would find out very quickly if their frames were crap. It just might be a little on the heavy end.
The custom frames have some pretty fancy tubing options:
4130 Chromoly
True Temper Versus (USA) – 4130 Chromoly
Nova – 4130 Chromoly
Columbus Zona – Nivacrom
Dedacciai Zero Uno – 18MCDV6

Haha, if other people end up buying this frame I'm going to have to get it myself someday.
Love seeing niche companies that support whatever stoke they are stoking out on going strong.
Their videos back in the day were absolutely nuts.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 05-06-19 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 10:14 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
It seems like they have more sizes now, and at sub $700 prices (For both frame and fork_.
https://www.lastcalldistro.com/xcart...-SQ-Frame.html

Without fork it's freaking $524!
That's an extremely good price for a made to order frameset (Even more surprising if you consider that it's made here).
Made in America!
Old 05-07-19, 11:03 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Also they say they don't suggest using height to determine frame size right after they suggest using height to determine frame size?
Actually, they recommend using inseam, and just include suggested height range as an additional consideration. Still arguably not a very good approach to frame sizing. I feel you should look most closely at top tube length, the hardest thing to adjust or compensate for.

This outfit looks like they only want to make 3 sizes of frame, so they pigeonhole everyone into one of those. There’s no way I’m riding a 52, but that’s what their chart suggests. At 5’11” with average leg/torso proportions (33” inseam), I’d choose their 56 without question, and I think their square geometry would work pretty well for me.
Old 05-07-19, 11:11 AM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Actually, they recommend using inseam, and just include suggested height range as an additional consideration. Still arguably not a very good approach to frame sizing. I feel you should look most closely at top tube length, the hardest thing to adjust or compensate for.

This outfit looks like they only want to make 3 sizes of frame, so they pigeonhole everyone into one of those. There’s no way I’m riding a 52, but that’s what their chart suggests. At 5’11” with average leg/torso proportions (33” inseam), I’d choose their 56 without question, and I think their square geometry would work pretty well for me.
Yeah, I assume their angle is to produce the least amount of frame sizes that work for the most amount of people, which makes sense businesswise. These kinds of sizing guidelines can easily lead people into buying the wrong size frame though, which I can't get down with. I'm 6'1" and their largest production frame is a full 2cm+ too small in the top tube for me, and the idea that that frame would be appropriate for someone up to 6'4" seems ridiculous.

Of course this is the internet, so people are more than willing to get ridiculous with it: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/fbm-sword-sq-21033

Last edited by seau grateau; 05-07-19 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 11:48 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon

the current sword sq 56 would have 56cm center-center seat tube. you would have very little seat post showing and pretty much zero clearance when dismounting. if you are into that then ok.

i have the old sword geometry 55 (measured by top tube) which has a 52cm center-center seat tube and a 55cm top tube. I'm 5'10 with 32" inseam barefoot and it fits well, could't imaging riding anything larger.

my bareknuckle for example is a 52, which has a 52cm center-center seat tube and a 54cm top tube. it fits me perfect and is also lighter than my sword.

i don't know why fbm went to square geometry, guess it looks good? doesn't make sense to me.
Old 05-07-19, 01:16 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
the current sword sq 56 would have 56cm center-center seat tube. you would have very little seat post showing and pretty much zero clearance when dismounting. if you are into that then ok.
That’s how my Steamroller is. 58cm seat tube, C-C. There’s only about 8cm of seat post from the top of the seat tube to the rails. It’s my biggest frame. But I can stand flat footed and my junk clears the top tube with an inch or two to spare.

My other bikes range from 52 to 57 cm in the ST, one under square, one square, and a few over square.

The Parallax is kind of odd at only 52cm ST C-C, my shortest frame. But its TT is 55. The geo makes sense for this bike, as it’s the one on which I really want to get low and aero. Looks like this is the same as your older Sword, @REDMASTA, and your inseam is an inch shorter than mine but your torso the same as mine.

Last edited by Broctoon; 05-07-19 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 01:32 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Yeah, I assume their angle is to produce the least amount of frame sizes that work for the most amount of people, which makes sense businesswise. These kinds of sizing guidelines can easily lead people into buying the wrong size frame though, which I can't get down with. I'm 6'1" and their largest production frame is a full 2cm+ too small in the top tube for me, and the idea that that frame would be appropriate for someone up to 6'4" seems ridiculous.
I agree. A really sensible (ethical?) company would probably just admit that they don’t mass produce bikes for people over six feet tall, and recommend custom sizing.

I’m totally average build in my height, weight, shoe size, everything. Usually this means it’s easy to find stuff that fits. On the other hand, there’s usually nothing for me in the clearance/close out items. Really big and really small guys have an advantage there.

That Sword you linked to from Pedalroom is absurd. At least two or three times the length of seat post that should be exposed.

Last edited by Broctoon; 05-07-19 at 01:37 PM.