Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

standover/clearance when

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 04:24 PM
nivalu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks to you both for replying!

The SPD pedals were once on the hybrid, but I've done a lot of musical chairs with all of my bikes over the years. Now the hybrid has toe clips.

The issue , I think, is the pedals themselves. I at first thought that my cleats were jammed in the wrong way or on the wrong side or something, because there would be times where I would not be able to get my feet out at all. I even fell once because of it.

The next time it happened, I was only clipped in on one side and even when I stopped and put the other foot on the ground, I couldn't get the clipped in shoe out. I literally took my foot out of fthe show to flip the pedal over and inspect. It was clippped in correctly , just stuck.

I've loosened both pedals several times, but I've stopped even trying to clip in.

I did 30 (slow) miles the other day and didn't even think about clipping in. I just pedaled on the other side of the pedal.

I agree that I need a new stem. I am thinking of getting some sort of adjustable stem. From the reviews, I worry about my ability to install it, and I hope I dont create new problems.

As for the saddle, I bought another new one online but had trouble adjusting the angle. I asked an LBS to do it and I honestly don't know whether
he was f-ing around or not but he angled it wayyyyy too high. The next day was hell ....I had to ride quite a ways to find a shop to adjust it because
my tools wouldnt work. I also bought the right tool from them to avoid having that happen again.

I can't say if the newer saddle is ok yet or not because I was pretty...um...damaged...from having had to ride it so long till I got it fixed.

I won't be able to ride for about 7 days sadly so I guess till then I will keep adjusting and tinkering.

I am not in a position to buy yet another new bike again.
Old 06-30-19, 11:21 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Your SPD's may have wear and tear that keeps them from functioning properly. The same for the cleats. I used to oil my SPD's regularly on the moving bits and pieces and this made them work much better. You are wise to carry wrenches to adjust your seat. When I get a new seat, lately noseless seats, the adjustment process can take weeks of adjusting to get to that happy place. The gross adjustments are usually done on the first rides but there is always improvements that can be make along the trail. If you doubt your ability to install a new stem have a shop do it just to be safe. There are tutorials on the internet that will take you through the process also. Good luck.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 07-01-19, 03:08 PM
nivalu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
Your SPD's may have wear and tear that keeps them from functioning properly. The same for the cleats. I used to oil my SPD's regularly on the moving bits and pieces and this made them work much better. You are wise to carry wrenches to adjust your seat. When I get a new seat, lately noseless seats, the adjustment process can take weeks of adjusting to get to that happy place. The gross adjustments are usually done on the first rides but there is always improvements that can be make along the trail. If you doubt your ability to install a new stem have a shop do it just to be safe. There are tutorials on the internet that will take you through the process also. Good luck.
I was definitely happy that the last shop that fixed my seat let me buy the tool they used--it was literally a random tool from their pocket but I didn't care.

Installing the stem the first time wasn't bad but the bolt was so deep that the angle adjustment was hard, which is why I took it somewhere to get it angled up. I actually picked the stem because it was not one of those "adjust from the top" stems...........I regret that now, as that one would have been easier to reach.

I agree the pedals themselves may be an issue. There is a little rust on the underside of one of them. I am gonna replace them with flat pedals for now, though. I am fine being clipped in, I'm not afraid or anything, but when I have to struggle with them that much, it takes away from my already slow riding and I'd rather focus on getting everything else dialed in.

It helps to know I'm not the only one who needs to keep adjusting!!!