Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Safety seat for 18 month old

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-20-15, 02:05 PM
Talkinghalls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, new to the forum, new-ish to being a father, not so new to bicycles.

My son is now 18 months old and now that is getting warm out I'm itching to get on my bike. BUT I am a safety nut when it comes to my son. I have a "Walmart brand" Mongoose Mountain bike, and I'm not sure where to even start to look for safety seats.

What would be better for long distance rides (20-60 miles); standard behind the seat, trailer, in front of handlebars, or attached to frame facing handle bars? To be honest I am not even sure which ones will mount on my bike!

Any help would be great! Thank you!
Old 04-21-15, 02:27 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Talkinghalls View Post
Hello, new to the forum, new-ish to being a father, not so new to bicycles.

My son is now 18 months old and now that is getting warm out I'm itching to get on my bike. BUT I am a safety nut when it comes to my son. I have a "Walmart brand" Mongoose Mountain bike, and I'm not sure where to even start to look for safety seats.

What would be better for long distance rides (20-60 miles); standard behind the seat, trailer, in front of handlebars, or attached to frame facing handle bars? To be honest I am not even sure which ones will mount on my bike!

Any help would be great! Thank you!
Thinking of your Mongoose mountain bike. I think you would have to use a trailer.
Old 04-25-15, 10:07 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
In my experience, all child seats destabilize the bike to some extent. Also, any travel with a child involves a diaper bag or other stuff.
We found a trailer to be by far the best way to go. When they get older, a Trail-A-Bike is a good way to go. My daughter loved riding in the trailer, right up to the point she turned six or seven and had her first Trail-A-Bike ride.
Old 04-27-15, 10:06 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we've done 20 mile rides with our LO in a trailer. we like it. it's not easy and we switch out the trailer when one of us is tired of hauling.

people use cargo bikes and bike seats with their kids too, i'm not sure i've seen anyone do a long distance though.