Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2017 Specialized Roubaix review

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2017 Specialized Roubaix review

Old 07-27-17, 01:51 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
@Masque, I think this might be of interest for you

https://bp4.bike/product/bp4-handlebar-alloy/
That... is amazing.

I think I'll pass, but thank you.
Old 07-27-17, 01:53 PM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I guess the only other con of having a short exposed seatpost would be the CG-R will be less effective as there's less room to flex?
The CGR's vertical compliance won't be affected, but the lateral compliance might be slightly lessened. I'm not certain that lengthening the pendulum (so to speak) would grant more effectiveness, rather than simply widening the oscillation.
Old 08-03-17, 01:51 AM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Current configuration...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FullSizeRender 6.jpg (97.1 KB, 285 views)
Old 08-03-17, 01:53 AM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you've upgraded the cranks, hydros and wheelset? Is that an ENVE? hard to see from your photo
Old 08-03-17, 04:23 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
Current configuration...
Masque,
You give a lot of advice about fit, but as I look at your bike, honestly, it doesn't fit my paradigm of correctness by any stretch. Your saddle has too much downward tilt and your handlebar is rotated too far back rendering the hook position less tenable...and your hoods are rotated rearward basically compensating for being too stretched out.

Just wanted to say. So your fit is far from any accepted norm certainly even though you believe it may work for you. My personal belief is you would be happier with further refinement. Just my opinion.

Congrats on the new bike. Love the new Roubaix...my favorite new bike because of its versatility out on the road as few roads are billiard smooth in my experience.

PS: at almost 6'1"...we are the same height...on a 56 with 110mm and your hoods rotated rearward and quite high, you ride very upright for spirited riding...really what I consider no man's land for a guy your...or my size.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-03-17 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 11:26 AM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you've upgraded the cranks, hydros and wheelset? Is that an ENVE? hard to see from your photo
My LBS accommodated my request to Frankenstein together an orange/yellow Expert UDi2. (Thanks, River City!) We're still sorting out a couple of details, but I'm really happy.

Wheels are ENVE 4.5AR (which took nearly four months to arrive) with WI CLDs and built with Comp Aero spokes. I wanted everything-proof construction, and I'm not light. :/

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Masque,
You give a lot of advice about fit, but as I look at your bike, honestly, it doesn't fit my paradigm of correctness by any stretch. Your saddle has too much downward tilt and your handlebar is rotated too far back rendering the hook position less tenable...and your hoods are rotated rearward basically compensating for being too stretched out.

Just wanted to say. So your fit is far from any accepted norm certainly even though you believe it may work for you. My personal belief is you would be happier with further refinement. Just my opinion.

Congrats on the new bike. Love the new Roubaix...my favorite new bike because of its versatility out on the road as few roads are billiard smooth in my experience.

PS: at almost 6'1"...we are the same height...on a 56 with 110mm and your hoods rotated rearward and quite high, you ride very upright for spirited riding...really what I consider no man's land for a guy your...or my size.
You're absolutely right about the hoods! Sharp eyes, sir. I've been experimenting — in search of further refinement, to borrow a phrase! — with wrist angle changes. I've got an appointment to try both -12° and -17° stems, and I've been tinkering with what the wrist angle could be if I adjust arm position instead of lean. (As for why someone might ponder this, I must refer you to my surgeon. :/ ) For tonight's longer ride, this angle will change.

I disagree with you on the saddle, however. The Power saddle looks like this when perfectly level:

Mine is 3° nose-down from that.

I agree the position is too upright. I'm looking at stem changes soon, and there's 15mm of rise built into the bars which I could remove. Together that's 35mm of stack height I could reduce, but all of it requires replacing parts.

I do appreciate your frank feedback, and I'd love to continue this discussion.
Old 08-03-17, 06:47 PM
Gr00v3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I just picked up my custom 2018 Roubaix Elite. Swapped over all the components to Ultegra with Hydraulic brakes. Basically a Roubaix Comp in 2018 Elite colorway.

The coolest part besides the really neat colorway, the specialized logos are reflective, and since I do a lot of night riding, this will help immensely.

I couldn't be happier. Now to throw on the miles!

Old 08-03-17, 07:22 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gr00v3
Well, I just picked up my custom 2018 Roubaix Elite. Swapped over all the components to Ultegra with Hydraulic brakes. Basically a Roubaix Comp in 2018 Elite colorway.

The coolest part besides the really neat colorway, the specialized logos are reflective, and since I do a lot of night riding, this will help immensely.

I couldn't be happier. Now to throw on the miles!

Odd, I don't recall seeing that colorway for 2018 Roubaix Elite. The one I saw online are just solid colours.

And is that a 180mm rear rotor?

And you mentioned swapped all to ultegra, means you didn't need to pay extra? O.o
Old 08-03-17, 07:41 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynawolf
Here is my review of my 2017 Roubaix Comp. I am 53, 6'1" and weight 240. (too much weight lifting and beer) I used to race mountain bikes, but life got in the way during the past 15 years. Time for a change. Anyway, I had a 2002 Trek 5200 and felt every bump. It is a fast bike but it hurt after 20 miles. Plus my lower back and shoulders have seen better days (mountain bike wrecks).

First, I LOVE the bike. The blue color is great. I got the bike with a full Spec body fit.

The Good
** LBS cut a nice deal with a heavy discounted fit session. Initial session was 4 hours.
** The future shock is the real deal. It only is noticeable during out of the saddle climbing, but otherwise you quickly forget about it (until you get on a normal bike.)
** the lower seat clamp and cobbler gobbler seat post work fine. No noticeable movement.
** The 28mm tires are nice, but I am heavy. I have to keep them at >95 psi or I pinchflat
** The gearing is a huge upgrade for me. I went from 8 speed to 11 speed cogs. Normal to compact crankset.
** The high frequency bumps completely go away.
** Shoulders appreciate the softening of big hits.
** The 105 shifters are not bad unless you have med-small hands. The are bulky. Work flawlessly.
** I like the hoverbar handle bars. The drops are shorter than my previous bike and I can spend hours in them.
** The Future Shock, stem & Hover Bar design allows for significant front end adjustment
** VERY IMPORTANT The bike feels almost as quick steering as my old Trek. I did not like the pre-17 Roubaix due to lazy steering.

If the Trek 5200 is a race car and a normal endurance bike is a Cadillac, the 17 Spec Roubaix is a BMW M3. A nice balance.

The bad
** I believe the Spec Roubaix is victim of its own success as they try to meet huge demand
** quality construction - loose spokes from factory. The LBS has to all but rebuild the wheels
** New technology - LBS did not adjust my headset correctly causing a rattling of spacers. Easy fix once the mech learned the bike
** Stock saddle - terrible, I used my old saddle and pedals - no issue.
** Complete bike weighs about 650 grams more than the Trek.

Remaining concern: I am 80% sure this is the correct size. My pant inseam is 34 and measures 35-1/4 inch, but I have a weak lower back from a bike crash. The fitter has pushed my seat all the way forward and swapped in a short stem. Should I be on a bike with a shorter top tube? Should I have purchased a 56? Obviously the LBS wants this one to work since the bike is now "used". My fitter has a very good reputation in the area and I am a challenge.

So, now I am working to loose some weight. If I meet my goal I will swap out the house brand crank set for an Ultegra 6800...just because.

THANKS to all who wrote on this post previously and the Spec rep who let me have a test bike for an evening.
6'1.5" 35" inseam, and 6' 2" wingspan, and the 58cm Specs are the right size for me. I have issues with their set back posts however. I usually have to swap out for a zero setback post. I can make it work but the saddle is slammed forward.
Old 08-03-17, 11:32 PM
Gr00v3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Odd, I don't recall seeing that colorway for 2018 Roubaix Elite. The one I saw online are just solid colours.

And is that a 180mm rear rotor?

And you mentioned swapped all to ultegra, means you didn't need to pay extra? O.o

Specialized hasn't released the info on the color yet. If you look really really hard in the depths of the internet, you'll find it.

or I could just show you here:

2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite [94418-4xxx] - $3,800.00 : TBSM Bicycle Emporium

The rear rotor is stock I believe. I don't recall my LBS saying they swapped it or anything

I did have to pay extra for the ultegra components, but they let me trade in the stock components for some credit toward the swap.
Old 08-04-17, 07:47 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My LBS accommodated my request to Frankenstein together an orange/yellow Expert UDi2. (Thanks, River City!) We're still sorting out a couple of details, but I'm really happy.

Wheels are ENVE 4.5AR (which took nearly four months to arrive) with WI CLDs and built with Comp Aero spokes. I wanted everything-proof construction, and I'm not light. :/

You're absolutely right about the hoods! Sharp eyes, sir. I've been experimenting — in search of further refinement, to borrow a phrase! — with wrist angle changes. I've got an appointment to try both -12° and -17° stems, and I've been tinkering with what the wrist angle could be if I adjust arm position instead of lean. (As for why someone might ponder this, I must refer you to my surgeon. :/ ) For tonight's longer ride, this angle will change.

I disagree with you on the saddle, however. The Power saddle looks like this when perfectly level:

Mine is 3° nose-down from that.

I agree the position is too upright. I'm looking at stem changes soon, and there's 15mm of rise built into the bars which I could remove. Together that's 35mm of stack height I could reduce, but all of it requires replacing parts.

I do appreciate your frank feedback, and I'd love to continue this discussion.
We will have to disagree about the saddle. I have ridden the Specialized Power and a boat load of saddles.
If the rear of the saddle is tilted down...people sit on the rear and not the nose unless riding the rivet... it is going to be an unstable perch for one's pelvis and the upper body will have to compensate to hold up the torso.

Without being dramatic, your fit is worst case. Short cockpit and downward sloping saddle. You have nothing but pressure on the hands. No man's land. A guy 6'1" is normally placed on a 58 Roubaix...what I ride for example...nominally with 110mm stem but a racier rider will go even longer stem on a 58.. A guy your size on a 56 with 110mm stem is going to have too much weight on your hands because you can't achieve a torso angle that will allow you suspend your weight over the saddle. When a rider rotates their pelvis forward and stick's their @$$ out, this moves rider CG rearward. Sit on a saddle like a 20 deg downward sloping park bench with 20 deg torso angle...your fit....and you have nothing but hand pressure.

A guy your and my size if on a 56 should be at least on a 120 or 130 stem...especially if not running more drop which creates more reach. A common mistake is setting the saddle like you have and running more setback to compensate for your weight falling forward. The wrong approach. A better solution is less setback and a more nose up saddle to move weight back. With saddle more forward a nose pointing up is less obtrusive to your underside.

Fit is a search but I saw your bike and because we are the same height, I wanted to comment.
Awesome bike. Doesn't get any better for overall riding out on the road in my opinion because what Specialized has done to the new Roubaix. My SL3 Roubaix Pro is so good however, I can even wait for the new generation.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-04-17 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 07:57 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I know color is in the eye of the beholder but I am not a fan of the faded color scheme on the Roubaix Elite. It looks like an almost 60's paint scheme. It surprises me in fact that they would release such a paint scheme.

My favorite color of the new Roubaix is blue...below. Orange shown has to be given honorable mention.

Again, color choice is personal but in my experience an important element as liking how our bikes look matters on some level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 08-04-17, 08:46 AM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We will have to disagree about the saddle. I have ridden the Specialized Power and a boat load of saddles.
If the rear of the saddle is tilted down...people sit on the rear and not the nose unless riding the rivet... it is going to be an unstable perch for one's pelvis and the upper body will have to compensate to hold up the torso.

Without being dramatic, your fit is worst case. Short cockpit and downward sloping saddle. You have nothing but pressure on the hands. No man's land. A guy 6'1" is normally placed on a 58 Roubaix...what I ride for example...nominally with 110mm stem but a racier rider will go even longer stem on a 58.. A guy your size on a 56 with 110mm stem is going to have too much weight on your hands because you can't achieve a torso angle that will allow you suspend your weight over the saddle. When a rider rotates their pelvis forward and stick's their @$$ out, this moves rider CG rearward. Sit on a saddle like a 20 deg downward sloping park bench with 20 deg torso angle...your fit....and you have nothing but hand pressure.

A guy your and my size if on a 56 should be at least on a 120 or 130 stem...especially if not running more drop which creates more reach. A common mistake is setting the saddle like you have and running more setback to compensate for your weight falling forward. The wrong approach. A better solution is less setback and a more nose up saddle to move weight back. With saddle more forward a nose pointing up is less obtrusive to your underside.

Fit is a search but I saw your bike and because we are the same height, I wanted to comment.
Awesome bike. Doesn't get any better for overall riding out on the road in my opinion because what Specialized has done to the new Roubaix. My SL3 Roubaix Pro is so good however, I can even wait for the new generation.
I am not disagreeing with your points, but height alone is not the sole indicator of bike size. Inseam to height ratio, wingspan, flexibility, and cycling goals play a factor.
Old 08-04-17, 09:30 AM
Gr00v3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spent the morning removing the stickers and throwing on a fresh coat of wax. I need to rotate the bars forward a bit. Still dialing in my fit on this bike
Old 08-04-17, 09:40 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by reef58
I am not disagreeing with your points, but height alone is not the sole indicator of bike size. Inseam to height ratio, wingspan, flexibility, and cycling goals play a factor.
You are right of course. But I have an unusual sense of proportion. Seriously. I can tell from his saddle height on a 56 Roubaix...how much seat post is showing how long his legs are. He isn't all legs for 6'1"...nor that short of inseam. My leg length at the same height is slightly longer. So what does that mean? Even worse for his fit because he has substantial torso length and nowhere to go on a 56 with a 110mm stem without much bar drop. No man's land.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-04-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 11:15 AM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate your efforts, but you sound very much like most of the people I've talked to about bike fit. And, like them, you contradict yourself.

You told me I was too stretched out, and that was why my bars were rotated back. But now you tell me my stem is too short, so I must be bunched up. This is contradictory.

You tell me that I need more saddle to bar drop, but that I also should be on a 58. The 58 has substantially higher stack height; if you want me to set my bars even as low as they are now, the 56 is necessary. This is contradictory.

You tell me I have too much pressure on my hands; at what point will I notice this? Admittedly, I have not had rides on this bike much longer than 70 miles yet. Will I notice it at 80? And 100? I certainly have no problem with it so far.

Lastly, perhaps it would put your mind at ease to know that, aside from the angle of the bars mentioned earlier, I have had two professional fitters confirm this fit. I hope it won't offend you if I take their in-person advice over yours.

That said, if you are able to accurately fit a bike based on someone's height and a photo of their bike, I congratulate you on your unique talent, as you will make a fortune online doing this.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 08-04-17, 12:23 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I appreciate your efforts, but you sound very much like most of the people I've talked to about bike fit. And, like them, you contradict yourself.

You told me I was too stretched out, and that was why my bars were rotated back. But now you tell me my stem is too short, so I must be bunched up. This is contradictory.

You tell me that I need more saddle to bar drop, but that I also should be on a 58. The 58 has substantially higher stack height; if you want me to set my bars even as low as they are now, the 56 is necessary. This is contradictory.

You tell me I have too much pressure on my hands; at what point will I notice this? Admittedly, I have not had rides on this bike much longer than 70 miles yet. Will I notice it at 80? And 100? I certainly have no problem with it so far.

Lastly, perhaps it would put your mind at ease to know that, aside from the angle of the bars mentioned earlier, I have had two professional fitters confirm this fit. I hope it won't offend you if I take their in-person advice over yours.

That said, if you are able to accurately fit a bike based on someone's height and a photo of their bike, I congratulate you on your unique talent, as you will make a fortune online doing this.

Enjoy your ride.
I shouldn't have weighed in. You don't understand what I wrote. People who ride a bad fit, don't understand fit. A pretty simple concept about a subject that is honestly too complicated for most and why all the bad posture and poor fit on the road.
Good luck.
Old 08-04-17, 03:22 PM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are right of course. But I have an unusual sense of proportion. Seriously. I can tell from his saddle height on a 56 Roubaix...how much seat post is showing how long his legs are. He isn't all legs for 6'1"...nor that short of inseam. My leg length at the same height is slightly longer. So what does that mean? Even worse for his fit because he has substantial torso length and nowhere to go on a 56 with a 110mm stem without much bar drop. No man's land.
Last question: what is my arm length?
Old 08-04-17, 04:02 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Old 08-04-17, 04:10 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
By your bike set up...hopefully like Gary posted.
Old 08-04-17, 04:51 PM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By your bike set up...hopefully like Gary posted.
Yeah! Pretty much!

I seriously do appreciate your intent and most of what you said, and by gosh if you're in the Portland/Salem Oregon area any time soon I'd love to meet with you and discuss it in person. In that way I'm sure we could have a very productive talk.

But here, with just the one photo, I think it's kind of ... well, it's just hard to believe you know my dimensions, surgical history, flexibility, etc. just from seeing my bike.

I do believe it wouldn't fit you, but this is a pretty bike-smart town, and fitters around here seem to know what they're doing, and I seem to pass their inspections.
Old 08-04-17, 05:28 PM
francisb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a older rider, who is 6'1", has a 34" inseam, and a 70" wingspan, wears size 11 shoes, and is toying with the idea of a 2018 Roubaix next year (and lives in Portland no less!)

I have appreciated the back and forth on this thread. Was hoping to save the several hundred of a fitting session, but that's probably false economy...

Regards,
Francis
Old 08-04-17, 06:35 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by francisb
As a older rider, who is 6'1", has a 34" inseam, and a 70" wingspan, wears size 11 shoes, and is toying with the idea of a 2018 Roubaix next year (and lives in Portland no less!)

I have appreciated the back and forth on this thread. Was hoping to save the several hundred of a fitting session, but that's probably false economy...

Regards,
Francis
58cm all day long for vast majority of shops who do fittings.
HTH....see below:
Attached Images
Old 08-04-17, 06:42 PM
francisb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
58cm all day long for vast majority of shops who do fittings.
HTH....see below:
Thanks Campag4life! I'll certainly start there.
Old 08-04-17, 08:46 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1

Gawd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.