Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Dolan DF4 Dropout Issue

Old 10-31-17, 09:14 PM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW View Post
They're saying the track end splays because the track nuts are overtightened. If you use the adjusters, you don't need to tighten down as much, in theory. Felt said the same thing to me when they replaced my track end inserts. Squeeze something in the x direction (like with track nuts), it'll want to push in the y or z direction. That'll cause the splaying.
Yup, I've seen the same thing happen on a couple of different aluminum frames. Related problems include damaging or wearing the track nuts faster (which encourages tightening down even more) and breaking axles trying to tighten things down enough to prevent wheel pull. In such cases, the metal insert is often designed mostly to prevent surface wear, not prevent compression damage.
Old 11-01-17, 12:57 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I love chain tensioners.