Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2018 Post Your Fixed Gear / Singlespeed Megathread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2018 Post Your Fixed Gear / Singlespeed Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 07:24 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
That's a beautiful ride, @Zaskar ^^^ Got myself some rollers for christmas

Last edited by StirFry; 12-28-18 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 07:41 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StirFry
That's a beautiful ride, @Zaskar ^^^ Got myself some rollers for christmas

Great looking bike sir! I really like your bottle cage. Aesthetically they are very cool. Does it hold your bottles pretty secure? I was looking at the Portland Design Works Maneki-neko for myself but none of my bikes have cage mounts. I may still pull the trigger and mount it on the saddle rails.
Old 12-28-18, 07:50 PM
StirFry

Originally Posted by mouse
Great looking bike sir! I really like your bottle cage. Aesthetically they are very cool. Does it hold your bottles pretty secure? I was looking at the Portland Design Works Maneki-neko for myself but none of my bikes have cage mounts. I may still pull the trigger and mount it on the saddle rails.
Yeah, it holds Podium bottles perfectly. 100% secure and a cinche to remove while riding. I actually used rivnuts to mount the bottle holder to my frame.
Old 12-28-18, 09:08 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
The PDW bottle holders that look like swallows, owls, and lucky cats are the best you can buy, if you want a perfect combination aesthetics, function, and value. There are stronger ways to hold your bottle, and lighter ways, and just maybe (but doubtfully) better looking ways. There is nothing that rates higher on all points combined.
Old 12-28-18, 10:03 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
none of my bikes have cage mounts.

Old 12-28-18, 10:22 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by StirFry
Yeah, it holds Podium bottles perfectly. 100% secure and a cinche to remove while riding. I actually used rivnuts to mount the bottle holder to my frame.
would a bike shop install these too? I know Scrod does in his shop, just wondering how common this is.. Will I have a hard time finding someone to do this? Researched all sorts of ways to put cages on my Kilo tt.

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 12-28-18 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 10:36 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
would a bike shop install these too? I know Scrod does in his shop, just wondering how common this is.. Will I have a hard time finding someone to do this? Researched all sorts of ways to put cages on my Kilo tt.

Dave
I had never heard of these... but cool! I'm confident that I could put them in myself... and I would assume a shop tech with the right mechanical skills could easily install them. They're press fit, so its simply drilling smaller diameter holes and press fitting them in.
Old 12-28-18, 11:05 PM
StirFry

Dave
I had never heard of these... but cool! I'm confident that I could put them in myself... and I would assume a shop tech with the right mechanical skills could easily install them. They're press fit, so its simply drilling smaller diameter holes and press fitting them in.
My LBS had some on hand and installed them for a very fair price.

Last edited by StirFry; 12-28-18 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 12:49 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
the are not all press fit, the ones I use at work I weld intinto place.
Old 12-29-18, 01:52 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
the are not all press fit, the ones I use at work I weld intinto place.
Not being a dick but how do you weld bottle cage threads to a finished frame?

Last edited by mouse; 12-29-18 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 08:51 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts

Not being a dick but how do you weld bottle cage threads to a finished frame?
I agree most people wouldn't. Many are also brazed into place. It just depends on how much someone wants to pay. The press fit ones are more likely to spin in place if a cage bolt gets seized.
Old 12-29-18, 04:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Dave
Rivnut

https://www.boellhoff.com/us-en/prod...uts-rivnut.php
Old 12-29-18, 08:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
would a bike shop install [Rivnuts] too? I know Scrod does in his shop, just wondering how common this is.. Will I have a hard time finding someone to do this? Researched all sorts of ways to put cages on my Kilo tt.
Probably. Or you could do it yourself:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...ottle-fittings
Old 12-30-18, 09:47 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I just scrolled through all 23 pages. I noticed a lot of bikes with non carbon wheels and brakes and the brake tracks are still black. How is that? I want my wheels to be all black (no silver brake track showing), but not sure I want to spend the money on carbon wheels. On a side note, how good are some of the Chinese carbon wheels on Ebay?
Old 12-30-18, 10:36 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselgoat
I just scrolled through all 23 pages. I noticed a lot of bikes with non carbon wheels and brakes and the brake tracks are still black. How is that? I want my wheels to be all black (no silver brake track showing), but not sure I want to spend the money on carbon wheels. On a side note, how good are some of the Chinese carbon wheels on Ebay?
I don’t have an answer for this due to lack of experience with brakes... but I’m guessing they don’t use the brake much unless emergency calls for it?

I wouldn’t suggest using the Chinese eBay wheels. I’ve never seen them in person, but I can see a quality difference just in the pictures they provide. They often look cheesy and toy-ish imo. Plus I’m not sure I would want to put my faith in sub par carbon components. Many carbon wheels will still have an aluminum brake track too. Both tri spokes I’ve owned have been this way. I just take a quality paint pen to the braking surface.

You can get smoking deals on used carbon wheels if you are patient. Just look on Craigslist and eBay regularly. Obviously meticulously watch for cracks and damage to the carbon
Old 12-30-18, 11:28 AM
StirFry

Originally Posted by dieselgoat

I've kept mine black by not riding them in the rain
Old 12-30-18, 08:27 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Other than aesthetics, is there a problem with anodized black rims wearing down to bare metal from braking? I assume the same is happening on silver rims, except it doesn't change how it looks.

Of course I don't disputing wanting to keep nice rims nice. I'm just curious for in case I ever come across black rims that I might want to use.
Old 12-31-18, 01:56 AM
StirFry

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Other than aesthetics, is there a problem with anodized black rims wearing down to bare metal from braking? I assume the same is happening on silver rims, except it doesn't change how it looks.

Of course I don't disputing wanting to keep nice rims nice. I'm just curious for in case I ever come across black rims that I might want to use.

It's all cosmetic, nothing changes functionality-wise
Old 12-31-18, 07:50 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts

the design is literally based on material wear. Some alloy rims even have a ‘wear indicator’ on the sidewall, just like tyres. Obviously a rim sidewall can last a very longtime. Far longer than you’re likely to want or need to use the rims. But every time you pull the brake lever you’re wearing down the aluminium. If you ride in the rain a lot, with rim brakes, the life of your rim will be greatly reduced. The hardness and type of your braking compound can make a difference, but most people are using more or less the same compounds, regardless of brand, because every manufacturer is copying each other. My one advice for people who use rim brakes in the rain, regularly, is to clean and inspect the pads regularly. You’re at a much higher risk of your brakes tearing off small pieces of the sidewall and having them get embedded in your pads. This will happen more if your sidewall has a machined braking surface.

as far as the anodising is concerned, my opinion is that it just makes no sense. Yea it looks good, but it will wear away. So don’t buy anodised rims unless you’re using disc brakes. If you care about those aesthetics of course. it stands to reason that you do though, if you specifically chose colour anodised rims. Anodising is essentially just a coloured (or ‘clear’) electrolyticly forced, (surface) oxidation. Manufacturers like anodising because it’s cheaper than polishing or paint as a means of protecting against oxidation. (It’s also easier to control the thickness than paint) The extra ‘hardness’ that anodsing provides, that manufacturers like to talk about, is materially useless to a bicycle rim, or hub, or frame, or handlebars, etc. etc. Because it’s only at the surface. Most silver anodised riims, if they have a machined sidewall, will be bare aluminium or clear anodised on the sidewall. So the wear is the same. It has the same effect.

Last edited by seamuis; 12-31-18 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 07:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The only functional problem would be if the brake track wears too thin to hold the tire. But that's mainly an issue if you frequently ride in gritty/wet conditions where the brake pads pick up abrasive material. I still ride on wheels I built over 40 years ago and they're still going strong.

OTOH, anodized surfaces tend to have poorer braking performance than raw aluminum. I had a set of hard-anodized Super Champion "Mixte" rims I ended up sanding the anodizing off the brake track to get decent braking.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 01-01-19 at 02:56 PM.