Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car free with a Class A motorhome.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car free with a Class A motorhome.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 01:13 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Big difference. When I was renting an efficiency apartment everything I owned would fit into a minivan. So I was "virtually" not attached to the ground. If I got a job across town, I moved over there. I went to school in another town, I moved over there. If my neighborhood was burning to the ground, I don't really care so long as I get out of there. I have nothing to lose and no reason to go back and clean up a mess and start over. I am FREE of that attachment to that ONE SPOT completely.

All of these things you mention are transient things. I don't have to worry, maintain, insure, protect any of that stuff.

Hunter gatherers. For over 5 million years this is how humans lived in harmony with the Earth, following herds, water supply, and moving from a area defiled by excrement, insects, and vermin to an area that has recovered from human habitation. Owning very few personal possessions - no more than you could easily carry around. What we are doing now is what the Earth cannot accommodate, and in only 10,000 short years since the onset of farming, which allowed us to stay in one place long enough to overpopulate and ruin it.

Obviously we are not going back to hunter gatherer lifestyles. But for me, just being able to "walk away" from the spot where I bathe, sleep, and store a few things is the way to go. I have lived in two-man tents for 7 months at a time on long bike tours with only the possessions I could carry. I was much happier doing that than owing a house. And of course my house got flooded after Hurricane Katrina because it is FIXED to the danged ground. Fires are burning up houses as we speak in the Western USA because they are fixed to the ground. You never heard of a Plains Indian (native American) city burning to the ground or flooding because those people MOVED away from areas at times when they were prone to floods or fires.

Anyway, aside from the cultural anthropology lesson, my life was 100% better before I owned a house. Outside of my job, if I had one, all of my time was free time. I did not have any work to do around the house, in fact, I was FORBIDDEN to do any work to the structure aside from dusting the place and cleaning the bathroom. My (our) house was acquired more or less by accident. Long story. I have gutted the thing TWICE since acquiring it and would burn it to the ground if not for my neighbor's house might catch on fire. Hopefully when my wife retires in two years we can move on from this disaster that owns us.
your virtual world still is connected to the real one.

Still it isn’t my place to tell you how to live. I cannot tell you how to travel that is up to you. I can only present my outlook on the same issues. My outlook on RV touring comes from two years of RV touring. It was easier and more comfortable than tent camping and I could cover greater distances than I could by foot or bike. And I had a place to cook shower and sleep.

If those things don’t work for someone else that is fine.

as far as being a hunter gatherer that worked a lot better if you were an adult male. Women and children were not as lucky.
Old 08-20-18, 01:29 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
as far as being a hunter gatherer that worked a lot better if you were an adult male. Women and children were not as lucky.
They were great bargaining chips though
Old 08-20-18, 02:45 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Often it was the women and older children keeping everybody from starving to death. The men hunted because "Vegetables feed the body, meat feeds the soul" basically. If the group depended 100% on the men to survive, none of us would be here now.

Still it isn’t my place to tell you how to live...
I don't feel like you are. Just an interesting discussion with lots of input. I sure don't expect anyone to live and enjoy my Spartan lifestyle. I really liked the simplicity and endless free time I had (and tons of liquid cash) before that house from the Wizard of Oz fell on me.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-20-18, 03:27 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Walter S
They were great bargaining chips though
True. In my Anthropology classes it often seemed that men had maybe three major roles. Provide meat. Provide protection. And raid other communities to get more women. It was a hard life and child birth claimed more than its fair share of women. It may not be a clear view but it sure seemed that way by the time we were looking at Clovis people and well into early America. It is a life that is still happening, to a degree, in some Indigenous people in Alaska. Child birth had a great effect or longevity of early women. They weren't traded or captured by others for their sewing and cooking abilities.

Sometimes we may not be that advanced today I guess. I can remember working for a big corporation watching as high ranking managers when they divorced their wives that stood by them during the advancement years and having kids for new wives that looked better at dinner parties. I know that was snide but there is some truth in there.
Old 08-28-18, 12:33 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Women are actually much better gatherers.
Old 08-28-18, 05:08 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by cooker
Women are actually much better gatherers.
only the ones that survived childbirth.
Old 09-01-18, 06:58 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts

only the ones that survived childbirth.
And the men who survived hunting were presumably better hunters.