Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What to do when chainline is a little off?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 05:30 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

When chainline is off by a little and you already have the best bottom bracket, crankset and hub combo for the application, what should you do?

I see two logical options to address the issue....

1) Use a multispeed chain that has lots of flex to it.

2) Use a chain that is wider than the chainring and cog.

Questions.....

Is one option and better than the other?

Are there any other options I should consider?
Old 08-01-18, 05:56 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I used to obsess over this stuff. If its only off a few mm, just ride it, it won't make a difference.
Old 08-01-18, 06:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
3) go for a ride.

-Tim-
Old 08-01-18, 06:19 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by mihlbach
If its only off a few mm, just ride it, it won't make a difference.
I notice on my bikes (I have 5 bikes total, all fixed) that have seemingly perfect chainline, the chains last much longer before they stretch by a noticeable amount.

On the other hand, my bikes that have chainline that is off a little, the chains stretch and wear out quicker. I can't think of any other reason for this than chainline.

Also, I have to believe that when chainline is spot-on and as such the chain is being run straight rather than bent sideways one way or the other, the system is more efficient (less flex, stretch etc. etc.).

Last edited by mrmb; 08-01-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 09:16 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
Are there any other options I should consider?

Yes, there's one more option. As others have said here, you can choose to not worry about it. It doesn't really matter, unless it's off by a lot. A few millimeters is inconsequential.

You say your bikes with imperfect chain line wear their chains out faster. So, like, how fast? Are we talking about chains lasting a year or two as opposed to five years? If you wear one out every six months, that would be annoying and worth addressing. Otherwise, no biggie. Chains are cheap and easy to replace.

I have a really nice track bike. Pretty expensive frame that I got brand new. When assembling it, I started with a bottom bracket that should have given a perfectly straight line. It put the drive side crank arm too close, allowing it to hit the chain stay. So I went with a little wider BB spindle, and now the crank clears the chain stay, but the chain line is off by maybe 2mm. My other fixed gear bike is a much cheaper frame that I got well-used. Its chain line is perfect. The only difference I can detect is that the expensive bike's drivetrain makes just a little bit of noise, and the cheaper one is dead silent. Neither one is wearing out chains, but that's just my experience--your mileage may vary. I don't lose any sleep at all over them, just ride 'em.

Do you keep your chains clean and well lubed? Ride in the rain much? In dusty, grimy conditions? What shape are your sprockets in? These factors probably have a lot more to do with chain wear than alignment does.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-01-18 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 10:10 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Are there any spacers or washers that would let you move the hub left / right in the dropouts? I had a pretty bad chainline (several mm off) when I assembled my hodgepodge of a SS bike with an old Bendix coaster hub and Schwinn road frame. So I got the chainline OK by putting different numbers of washers on the left and right, and then centered the rim in the frame by dishing the wheel towards the left. It's unorthodox, but I can't think of a downside.
Old 08-02-18, 03:47 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You can put a spacer behind the freewheel.

Old 08-02-18, 03:51 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You can also put spacers on the chainring bolts between the chainring and spider.
Old 08-02-18, 10:30 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
I decided to respond here rather than to your comment in the other thread - where you revealed that along with other nice goodies, you have a Campag Record Pista Crank on a Phil's bottom bracket...

I actually have the same set-up myself - but out of habit I run a 3/32" drivetrain so never use Campy's pista chainrings. I like nice bike parts as much as the next guy, but I do hate to spend a lot on consumables and I regard rings and cogs as consumables. Even with my cheap...errr...inexpensive 3/32 rings and cogs, I get tons of miles out of them and my chains.

What do you mean by "chainline is a little off?" I'm sure you must know that due to its unusual cups a Phil Wood BB has several mm's of built-in side-to-side adjustment? So unless your chainline is a lot more than just a little off - you should easily be able to get your chainline "right."

Good luck...

Last edited by IAmSam; 08-02-18 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-02-18, 12:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
...and you already have the best bottom bracket, crankset and hub combo for the application...
Maybe you don't, then. What all do you have, and how many millimeters is it off?

The usual problem is that the chainring has ended up a few mm more outboard than the cog. If you have chainstay clearance to spare, one out-of-the-box option might be to have a couple mm faced off the BB shell so that the whole assembly can be moved to the left, with a BB spacer added to the left side to bring it back up to 68mm width. Easily "reversed" by placing the BB spacer on the right side again.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-02-18, 01:55 PM
jmlapoint
eRacer

Bikes: Lippy Track Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Line

For chain line that is off a 'little' bit I suggest 1/8" chain, 3/32" cog, and run the chain on the loose side.
john
Old 08-02-18, 02:53 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Maybe you don't, then. What all do you have, and how many millimeters is it off?
As for what I have, I have 5 bikes.

1 - campy crank and ring, phil bb, phil hubs, phil cog, pake frame...1/8 in gear

2 - sugino crank w/ surly ring, shimano un55 bb, shimano deore hub, bolt on cog, surly karate monkey frame....3/32 gear

3 - dura ace crank w/ ring that I cant remember, shimano octalink bb, white eno eccentric hub, white cog, surly pacer frame...3/32 gear

4 - andel crank w/ surly ring, shimano un55 bb, white eno eccentric hub, white cog, surly disc trucker frame.....3/32 gear

5 - sugino crank with ring I don't remember, rpm bb, shimano deore hub, bolt on cog.....3/32 gear

That said, #1 has a chainline that is near perfect, all the others are off by a few mm. I really like the non-consumable parts that I am using though and really don't want to make changes there. I would love to use wider chains to straighten this out.

Swapping hubs and cranks.......last resort.
Old 08-02-18, 03:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

As for what I have, I have 5 bikes.

1 - campy crank and ring, phil bb, phil hubs, phil cog, pake frame...1/8 in gear

2 - sugino crank w/ surly ring, shimano un55 bb, shimano deore hub, bolt on cog, surly karate monkey frame....3/32 gear

3 - dura ace crank w/ ring that I cant remember, shimano octalink bb, white eno eccentric hub, white cog, surly pacer frame...3/32 gear

4 - andel crank w/ surly ring, shimano un55 bb, white eno eccentric hub, white cog, surly disc trucker frame.....3/32 gear

5 - sugino crank with ring I don't remember, rpm bb, shimano deore hub, bolt on cog.....3/32 gear

That said, #1 has a chainline that is near perfect, all the others are off by a few mm. I really like the non-consumable parts that I am using though and really don't want to make changes there. I would love to use wider chains to straighten this out.

Swapping hubs and cranks.......last resort.
Which crank models and BB lengths?

The above is like saying "I'm having trouble with my Ford, what do you think it is?"
RUSA #7498
Old 08-02-18, 04:56 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Which crank models and BB lengths?

The above is like saying "I'm having trouble with my Ford, what do you think it is?"
I see your point, but the bb and cranks are not going to get changed. They are as close to ideal as is available. Additionally, I don't have the lengths and models readily available to me.

I think a wider chain would straighten this out.

In your opinion is using a wider chain problematic in any way?
Old 08-02-18, 04:57 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by jmlapoint
For chain line that is off a 'little' bit I suggest 1/8" chain, 3/32" cog, and run the chain on the loose side.
john
Why would it need to be on the loose side?
Old 08-02-18, 05:01 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by Broctoon
The only difference I can detect is that the expensive bike's drivetrain makes just a little bit of noise, and the cheaper one is dead silent.
Do you consider this noise problematic?

Any irregular noise would indicate irregular metal to metal contact which in theory should lead to accelerated wear to the parts involved. Right?
Old 08-02-18, 05:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

I see your point, but the bb and cranks are not going to get changed. They are as close to ideal as is available. Additionally, I don't have the lengths and models readily available to me.

I think a wider chain would straighten this out.

In your opinion is using a wider chain problematic in any way?
I can't think of any downsides, and it might help a little. I run a 1/8" chain on 3/32" chainring and cogs myself.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-02-18, 05:59 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Holy ****, man. Just ride your bike.
Old 08-02-18, 06:21 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Holy ****, man. Just ride your bike.
I already am.

Did I ever say I wasn't?
Old 08-02-18, 06:46 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Do you consider this noise problematic?

Any irregular noise would indicate irregular metal to metal contact which in theory should lead to accelerated wear to the parts involved. Right?
Problematic? No. I think it's kind of cool. It's sort of a humming/whirring sound. More like an electric motor than any kind of grinding or scraping. I ride that bike hard, and the sound contributes to the whole experience. My much tougher and heavier fixie with big tires (Steamroller) is quiet as can be, and that's also fitting, because I enjoy casual cruises on it.

I have carefully inspected the chain ring and cog, and I don't see any signs of unusual wear, with several hundred miles on them. That's why I say I don't sweat the slight misalignment at all.
Old 08-06-18, 08:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
I already am.

Did I ever say I wasn't?
Ehhh it sounds like you are obsessing over something silly when you could just ride your bike. I don't think I have ever worried about chainline and I don't think I ever will unless I am doing some odd SS conversion on a bike that was designed as a geared bike and using a cog on a freehub body type of thing but I don't know why I would want to do that when there are so many excellent single speeds out there ripe for the picking.

Life's too short to worry about chainline.