Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Chamois Cream

Old 09-26-18, 11:52 AM
BigDave44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chamois Cream

I was wondering how many of you use chamois Cream. I have developed a constant barrage of pimples and was wondering if this will clear it up?
Old 09-26-18, 12:00 PM
maletero

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use it rides over about 40 miles. Helps with chafing. I also do use Body Glide for other chafing issues on most rides. It helps.
Old 09-26-18, 12:32 PM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
I just started using the stuff after many years of riding. I had a sore that would not heal because I did not want to take an extended period off the bike. I noticed a difference on the first ride with the cream and the sore eventually healed with no time off the bike. I am sold on it.
Old 09-26-18, 02:49 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dave those aren't pimples, they are teeth marks left over from your wifey chewing your arse the other day.
Old 09-26-18, 08:26 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used it on longer rides like 60 milers then realized why even do a short 20 miler without it if it makes you comfy and willing to sit on the saddle more?

BTW, shower right after a bike ride, that keeps the pimples/saddle sores from forming. ;-)
Old 09-27-18, 07:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
BTW, shower right after a bike ride, that keeps the pimples/saddle sores from forming. ;-)
Yep, and wash bike shorts after every ride (or every day's commute, if you do a round trip).

I use chamois cream for rides over a couple hours, and re-apply if necessary after 6-8 hours on the bike. But I'm more worried about preventing chafing or larger cysts than a rash or small pimples.
Old 09-27-18, 09:26 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
crotch cream is for chafing.. butt pimples are more of a pressure thing..
Old 09-27-18, 10:03 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Chamois cream never hurts and can help a lot. As others have said, cleanliness is also important. A trick to commuting for the ride home is to wear something like UnderAmour jockey briefs under your shorts going in to work, then home with just the cycling shorts.

If you have saddle sores or other issues and have to ride (on a bike tour, are a racer, messenger, etc.) Bag Balm is the stuff. No claims to heal but the ride will be much more bearable and you won't do additional damage (as long as you use enough - no problem - it's cheap). It ought to be in every cyclist's medicine cabinet. An $8 can goes a long ways and its shelf life opened is decades (generations?, centuries?)

Ben
Old 09-27-18, 10:19 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Chamois cream never hurts and can help a lot. As others have said, cleanliness is also important. A trick to commuting for the ride home is to wear something like UnderAmour jockey briefs under your shorts going in to work, then home with just the cycling shorts.
I haven't used chamois cream yet. But my rides haven't gone over two hours each in a long time. I sometimes feel some soreness after my commute. I usually put on vitamin A&D cream before I go to bed and the soreness clears up by the next morning. I'm curious about your use of the jockey briefs on the way into work. Wouldn't they make you sore from the thick seams on the briefs? Maybe I'm thinking more of the standard Fruit of the Loom tighty whities. But all of my underwear seem to have the same characteristic big seams. I just hang up my short (or bib) on the hanger to dry like the rest of my clothing. Yes, I still go home a bit stinky but I've never got any saddle sores so far using the same short twice a day. One thing I started doing to combat the stinkyness is to wash my skull cap in the sink at work with hand soap and water. It was one of the sweatiest and also stinkiest pieces of clothing for me.

Edit: The original post just reminded me of hearing about some folks waxing the hair off of their nether regions. Does anyone do that? Might help to prevent the pimples in the OP's case. But I've never tried it myself so I can't give an opinion on it...

Last edited by ptempel; 09-27-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-27-18, 10:52 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
No one size fits all, nor is one solution viable for everyone. There's just too many different kinds of anatomies, sizes and shape, physical characteristic, as well as different environments.

For example, I've never use or needed any type of creams or rubs, nor do I have any friction issues. I will however, get a sore butt after 4 hours in the saddle. Then again, that would be true even in a comfortable seat at home.

Last edited by KraneXL; 09-28-18 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-27-18, 12:29 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
This has always worked for me. Even when I was training on my road bike in the mornings and then spending all day in the saddle at work for 8-10 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Boudreauxs-Butt-Paste-Diaper-Ointment/dp/B0009RF8G0
Old 09-27-18, 09:57 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I use chamois cream for rides over a couple hours, and re-apply if necessary after 6-8 hours on the bike.

Ah good point! I carry a few dabs in a film type container (old camera film type plastic cylinder) or a test strip type container (diabetes) if you know one. Very handy and easy to carry on rides for the touch up!
Old 09-27-18, 10:53 PM
GeorgeAz

Bikes: Orbea Alma 2018, Specialized Allez comp triple 2007, 1977 Raleigh 3sp, 1984 Raleigh 531 Campy road

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, to answer the question I use it. Always, and especially in the summer. On a variety of bibs. The ride home in the summer often hovers close to 95 plus. Get home, get the bibs off, take a shower and wipe down with Seabreeze, Witchhazel or rubbing alcohol - choose your poison. Wash the bibs immediately and hang to dry.

I prefer Assos and it is expensive for 4 ounces, for shorter rides I get 8 ounces of European Style Chamois Butt'r from Jensens for 19.99. It works well in the heat, maybe not as good as Assos but close.

If I get one of those areas, wipe it down with alcohol and use some neosporin a couple times a day. It will resolve rather quickly.
Old 09-28-18, 12:14 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Going commando as much as possible made the biggest difference for me . i had some success with wraping high quality plastic wrap around my thighs to seal in the balm and vasline on the outside . it really took the sting off.
Old 09-28-18, 04:58 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
I I'm curious about your use of the jockey briefs on the way into work. Wouldn't they make you sore from the thick seams on the briefs? Maybe I'm thinking more of the standard Fruit of the Loom tighty whities. .
I have been using these under my shorts for the past month or so, don’t even know they are there. Flat seams and subjectively I think more comfortable on the bike than without.

Hanes Ultimate™ Men's Comfort Flex Fit® Ultra Lightweight Breathable Mesh Boxer Briefs Assorted Colors 4-Pack

Old 10-01-18, 07:56 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for bag balm.
Old 10-03-18, 10:14 AM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I always use cream. Rubs me raw if I don't. I use Queen Helene Cocoa Butter as you can get a whole tub for a few bucks. You can get at Walmart or I get it on-line. Compared to the top of the line chamois creme, this is about 99% as slippery and costs about 1/4 as much. A tub will last you for months.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...5bb2e676c79676

Last edited by HIPCHIP; 10-03-18 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling and addidition
Old 10-03-18, 10:46 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
body glide for cycling seems to work well and I don't have to get a new one every month or few

https://www.rei.com/product/799292/b...is-glide-15-oz
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-03-18, 11:26 AM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I use it every ride or training ride on the kick R
works great
Old 10-03-18, 11:48 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
I haven't used chamois cream yet. But my rides haven't gone over two hours each in a long time. I sometimes feel some soreness after my commute. I usually put on vitamin A&D cream before I go to bed and the soreness clears up by the next morning. I'm curious about your use of the jockey briefs on the way into work. Wouldn't they make you sore from the thick seams on the briefs? Maybe I'm thinking more of the standard Fruit of the Loom tighty whities. But all of my underwear seem to have the same characteristic big seams. I just hang up my short (or bib) on the hanger to dry like the rest of my clothing. Yes, I still go home a bit stinky but I've never got any saddle sores so far using the same short twice a day. One thing I started doing to combat the stinkyness is to wash my skull cap in the sink at work with hand soap and water. It was one of the sweatiest and also stinkiest pieces of clothing for me.

Edit: The original post just reminded me of hearing about some folks waxing the hair off of their nether regions. Does anyone do that? Might help to prevent the pimples in the OP's case. But I've never tried it myself so I can't give an opinion on it...
UnderAmour jockey briefs. (I think I have the model name right; they are the mid thigh, tight fitting shorts with a pouch front. They are better fitting for riding than most cycling shorts) They have minimal seams. I've never had issues with them. Rides over 30 miles I either do not use them or use a lot of Bag Balm as they are a little more abrasive than good chamois.

I started using a beard trimmer at it's closest setting (Wahl Home Haircutter, plug in) to trim all the pubic hair that can possibly be in contact with the bike seat. Big, big improvement! Works so well I see no need to shave closer, wax, etc. A couple of minutes every few weeks. (This asn't an issue when I was i nmy 20s. But 49 years later, those hairs are a lot longer.)

Ben
Old 10-03-18, 11:48 AM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDave44
I was wondering how many of you use chamois Cream. I have developed a constant barrage of pimples and was wondering if this will clear it up?

I doubt any lubricant product designed to reduce chaffing will help reduce the chances of getting "pimples". It certainly won't clear them up once they develop. Those pimples are actually the start of a bacterial infection caused by bruising (from pressure) paired with warmth (its warm down there) and moisture (again present in that area). By default its an ideal bacteria breeding farm.

Avoidance: Change out of wet riding shorts immediately after riding. Wash well and put on clean dry clothes. The bruising will lessen the more your ride. Somehow the area magically leathers up over time.

Treatment: Left untreated, those bumps can get big and extremely painful. I read a journal where a guy on tour ended up in the hospital because the infection got so bad, so don't ignore it. Here's what I do: Three times a day whenever the bumps are present, I rub antibacterial liquid soap directly on the bump for three minutes (time it, as 3 minutes will feel like eternity). I rub in circular fashion right on the bump. I then wipe the area clean of excess soap and apply Neosporin. The soap dries the skin a bit, and the Neosporin protects the dry skin from further bacteria.

Three times a day usually clears up a small (new) bump in a few days, even while continuing to ride.
Old 10-04-18, 10:20 AM
knitguy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use it on longer rides (over 20 or 30 miles) and sometimes I use it if I'm riding inside. Before I had a saddle that more or less worked for me I would always use it inside (and could tell the difference when I didn't) but I've been fine without it more recently (my Brooks B17 Imperial appears to really be breaking in at this point).