Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for an Upright Tadpole Tricycle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 06:56 AM
eepok

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,

I'm trying to find the right bike for my wife. She can ride a standard two-wheeler, but never felt fully "in control" when coasting or going downhill. She can go uphill without an issue. She loves it. But she really wants to try out a trike to see if it would avert her stability fears.

Now, I don't want to buy her a delta trike because we're relatively young. She will want to go fast and we all know how delta and corners go. She also refuses to consider a recumbent. She's not willing to adjust her riding style for the lowered road visibility.

So, what I'm looking for is an upright tadpole tricycle. I can't seem to find one anywhere, but given the existence of cargo bikes like the Nihola and Babboe, I know someone has to make one. Who knows of a make/model they can share.

PS - I'm also considering a Nihola or Babboe cargo bike, but I'm trying to cover my bases.
Old 11-04-18, 07:25 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
You ”can’t” have an upright tadpole If you want any kind of cornering speed.
Well, atleast not without some serious gymnastics.
Or a custom build.
Physics won’t allow it.
Regular bikes have high centers-of-gravity but manages by having the rider lean in corners.
’Bents manages by having a low CoG.
So a high CoG and a non leaning vehicle would need a very wide front axle width to avoid toppling over when cornering.
Regular tadpole ’bents are challenging enough in storage and manual handling.
If built, your upright ”performance” tadpole will be a beast off the road.
To transfer the cornering ability of a tadpole ’bent into an upright tadpole, you need to keep the angle between the CoG and the outboard contact patch.
So - barring serious gymnastics - you’re looking at something like 3X the axle width.

Last edited by dabac; 11-04-18 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-04-18, 07:52 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
If you google British racing tricycles, you can see three wheel uprights in delta form. You can also see how much severe body english it takes to corner one. Never seen an upright tadpole and like dabac says, I doubt they exist.

Old 11-04-18, 08:50 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
This page has a few photos of some. mixed in with other types of trikes. Not sure If some are linked to manufacturers.

Edit- can't post the link?

Search for "upright tadpole trikes" they are out there. Maybe only custom made, I did not use all of the links.
Old 11-04-18, 09:28 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
A couple of high seating production trikes (not custom)

Try visiting www.bentrideronline.com and Utah Trikes - Online Recumbent. The first is a recumbent specific website and the second is a very prominent recumbent trike dealership. Catrike makes only tadpole trikes and has at least two with higher seating - Catrike Villager and Catrike 559. I think the Trident Spike is also a candidate for your needs and a little easier on the budget. I can attest for the quality and handling of Catrikes. I own a Catrike 700 and have ridden a Catrike Expedition. Not cheap but definitely a trike good for many thousands of miles. One thing to remember is the higher the center of gravity, the less stable the trike is. It's just a matter of learning the limits for a high seating trike and not exceeding them.
https://www.catrike.com/villager
https://www.catrike.com/catrike-559
Spike | Trident Trikes, Recumbent Trikes, Chameleon Convertitrike, Stowaway Folding Trike
Old 11-04-18, 09:36 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
He specified no recumbent style tadpole.

"She also refuses to consider a recumbent. She's not willing to adjust her riding style for the lowered road visibility."

Old 11-04-18, 09:56 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Missed the no-recumbent requirement. Too bad because I have never come across anything that was as useful as a recumbent trike when comparing trike weight and gearing. If you ask any long time, high mileage recumbent trike rider they will tell you that they get far more room from passing motorists than on an upright bike. The idea that someone can see a granny trike but can't see my 7 foot long Catrike 700 with my head 3 feet above the pavement and waving flag is mystifying.
Old 11-04-18, 10:04 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Tadpole recumbent trikes are stable because the rider's weight is between the 3 wheels, and low. Delta recumbents can be relatively stable if the center of gravity is back by the rear wheels and low, which it's often not. What I'm saying is, the weight distribution is more important than the configuration in making it stable. An upright trike is going to have a high COG no matter what the wheelbase is; so I can't envision a stable tadpole upright anymore than I can a delta style upright.

So my advice is to give her a longer wheelbase and some good hydraulic disc brakes. And make sure she can reach the controls easily.
Old 11-04-18, 10:46 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 82 Posts
An overconstrained problem has no solution.
Old 11-04-18, 11:21 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
An overconstrained problem has no solution.
+1

give the Worksman utility a look.
rugged, reliable, heavy and slow.
or
be objective, try a recumbent trike.
never thought I would like one,
until I tried it.
it is a great feeling cruising along on one!
Old 11-04-18, 11:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Christiania trikes..
Old 11-05-18, 11:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your bike, add one of these? https://www.addbike.fr/en/home/
Old 11-06-18, 08:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Maybe it is the bike she is currently riding? Lower end bikes and bikes with skinny tires or really stiff uncomfortable bikes can lead to feeling unstable. Maybe try something with wider tires and certainly better brakes and that could solve the problem rather than trying to go for a clunky machine that will be harder to pedal and probably come with lower end components due to nobody wanting something like that unless recumbent.

Also it is good to make sure her position is good on the bike and a good fitter can help with that. That won't change the wider tires and better brakes but could help because sometimes people seek out bigger problems rather than just seeking solutions.
Old 11-07-18, 03:07 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
As an alternative, how about getting a tandem so you are looking after the stability and she can just enjoy the ride?