Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rear Rack

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rear Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 07:47 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Rear Rack

It seems like the trend is to big saddle bags away from rear racks and panniers. A rack doesn't add much weight, and adds capacity and flexibility. About to buy a rear rack for my bike and now I'm second guessing.
Old 11-28-18, 11:22 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
If you are referring to the under saddle bike backing, they are intended for road bikes that cannot fit racks or off-road touring where the cargo needs to be very secure. Of course, some people do it, because it's the latest "thing".
If you are riding your bike on finished surfaces and your bike can fit racks; go with the racks.
Old 11-29-18, 12:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
It depends on how much you want to pack, mostly. Us kitchen sinkers tend to need 4 panniers and a rack top for out tent, bag, pad, stove, water, food, riding clothing, off bike clothing, tools and spares...… I know minimalists who think any rain gear is too much. For me I prefer to be able to sit up in my tent and not have to pack it into a pannier when wet.

Have you test collected all your gear then packed it into a known size bag? Doesn't need to be a bike bag for this volume test.

Will you be camping, cooking your own food, be able to fix your bike (or just smart phone the problem away) Will you only ride and won't care how you smell to others? Will you sight see for a day+? Andy
Old 11-29-18, 02:59 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
It seems like the trend is to big saddle bags away from rear racks and panniers. A rack doesn't add much weight, and adds capacity and flexibility. About to buy a rear rack for my bike and now I'm second guessing.
you've already decided "capacity and flexibility" are important factors for you. why should you care about "trends?" no need to crowdsource this one.

i prefer the ability to pick up awkward sized packages to carry back to camp...

Last edited by saddlesores; 11-29-18 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 03:08 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It depends on how much you want to pack, mostly. Us kitchen sinkers tend to need 4 panniers and a rack top for out tent, bag, pad, stove, water, food, riding clothing, off bike clothing, tools and spares...… I know minimalists who think any rain gear is too much. For me I prefer to be able to sit up in my tent and not have to pack it into a pannier when wet.

Have you test collected all your gear then packed it into a known size bag? Doesn't need to be a bike bag for this volume test.

Will you be camping, cooking your own food, be able to fix your bike (or just smart phone the problem away) Will you only ride and won't care how you smell to others? Will you sight see for a day+? Andy
The bigger the bag the more you will carry. I think you already know that.
Old 11-29-18, 06:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I am actually a disciplined packer. My large panniers have ample room left even when I tour in places where I need to be prepared for cold, wet weather. I have always been that way. Never been one of those "I'm taking it because I have room for it" people.
Old 11-29-18, 07:58 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am actually a disciplined packer. My large panniers have ample room left even when I tour in places where I need to be prepared for cold, wet weather. I have always been that way. Never been one of those "I'm taking it because I have room for it" people.
lets face it, its easy first time out on a bike trip to take too much stuff, and its a common occurance--I know I did it and its all part of the learning experience.
One has to learn from the mistake and those who dont will moan and groan about hard it is, but generally if someone is a "you can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink" sort of person, its in their hands.

but yes, to the question posed here, for regular road riding and such, panniers offer a flexibility and ease of use (more space, spare space for extra food at end of day etc, easy on and off) that is a no brainer.
Top off that it encourages the use of the bike for regular commuting and whatnot in everyday life, which is a good habit for a healthy lifestyle and reducing the number of cars in our urban settings.
Old 11-29-18, 08:04 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Outside of researching what others are doing to see if there is any usefulness in what they are doing for my use cases, what others are doing has never been a rational for any of my decisions.

If you like racks and panniers, use racks and panniers.
Old 11-29-18, 08:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
lets face it, its easy first time out on a bike trip to take too much stuff, and its a common occurance--I know I did it and its all part of the learning experience.
Glad to be in the minority on this one.
Old 11-29-18, 08:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

chicken or the egg? Andy
Old 11-29-18, 09:14 AM
jefnvk

I've never understood this logic. There are times I've had to pare my load down to fit into my available baggage, but I've never added to my packing list because I have spare room in my bags or planned to use all my available capacity. It is quite easy to take off with unused space.
Old 11-29-18, 09:33 AM
djb

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I've never understood this logic. There are times I've had to pare my load down to fit into my available baggage, but I've never added to my packing list because I have spare room in my bags or planned to use all my available capacity. It is quite easy to take off with unused space.
you evidently are not my wife ;-)
Old 11-29-18, 09:34 AM
djb

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Glad to be in the minority on this one.
smartass ;-)
chuckle
Old 11-29-18, 09:41 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by djb
you evidently are not my wife ;-)
I would make a horrible wife
Old 11-29-18, 09:54 AM
linus
Crawler

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Simple. Pack your stuff and see if you need the space for the two rear panniers or you can get away with a seat bag. Pick the best one you can afford and you are set.
Old 11-29-18, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1st weekend in June , the trans-america tour route racers arrive,
most use bikepacking bags .. and race & tri bikes,

Though, as I understand, last years winner used a velomobile ..
seems superior aerodynamics beats light weight.

Old 11-29-18, 11:07 AM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saddle bags aren't designed to be trendy (though they have become so with some cycle tourists). Their design is for bikepacking, a very different activity than traditional cycle touring. When touring off road (not just off pavement, but off roads entirely) panniers can easily snag on brush, rocks, cacti, etc. Luggage that rides high and in line with the rider (saddle bags) mitigate these snags. They have functional purpose.

As others have stated, and you argued yourself. Racks/panniers work very well on roads (even rough dirt roads). Pick what works.
Old 11-29-18, 02:34 PM
djb

Originally Posted by jefnvk
as per google....

Gas fills available space
Gases expand spontaneously to fill any container

and because of this law, this means that husbands then have to pick up and load both bikes up the steep steps into French trains one after another with very little time before the doors close.
It is known.
Old 11-29-18, 03:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by djb
as per google....

Gas fills available space
Gases expand spontaneously to fill any container

and because of this law, this means that husbands then have to pick up and load both bikes up the steep steps into French trains one after another with very little time before the doors close.
It is known.
And the very little time mentioned will be blamed on the husband no mater what. Andy
Old 11-29-18, 03:12 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by djb
It is known.
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
And the very little time mentioned will be blamed on the husband no mater what. Andy
Especially when I was off getting her a tea and got back just in time to chuck everything in it when I found out the train decided it was leaving a couple min early.
Old 11-29-18, 04:25 PM
djb

all kidding aside, I still its pretty common for a lot of people to fill up large panniers perhaps with too much weight, but unless one is disciplined in terms of observing cause/effect in terms of how hard it can translate to biking in hilly terrain, or carrying your bike up stairs, you'll only change how much you carry if it affects you too much in a negative way.
That said, I have another dear friend who tends to carry too much in her panniers, and struggles mightily on hills. Part of it is her gearing, which just isnt low enough but wont change it more despite my attempts over the years (Ive brought it down a bit) but part of it seems to just be stubborness or something, yet she suffers so much on hills when we've biked together and I always am surprised how bloody heavy her panniers are (U lock, tons of spare food etc) --which comes back to the "you can lead a horse to water..." comment.
Old 11-29-18, 04:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i prefer the ability to pick up awkward sized packages to carry back to camp...
That looks like an e-bike battery pack in the rear rack, that is better to make sure you do not get too hot and sweaty before you unpack the odd sized package when you get to camp.
Old 11-29-18, 06:59 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
My first overnight trip will be on the Erie canal trail from Buffalo to Syracuse camping either 2 or 3 nights. Panniers on a rear rack should do the trick. Also going to do a front handlebar bag or roll. Maybe a Wald 137 with a Swift Sugarloaf basket bag. The possibilities seem to be endless... .
Old 11-29-18, 09:08 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I was listening to a podcast and this woman was talking about cycling the Peru Divide, using bikepacking gear and then complaining that she didnt have enough room in her bags for the food they needed, their bags were limited in capacity and there were long distances between re supply points. I thought "there is a solution for that problem".

This idea that panniers will catch on bushes and cactus and stuff is a bit weird, I've never experienced it on off road touring. I can see that front low riders could be a liability but I'm not sure hanging all that stuff on the handlebars is much better.

At the rear there are two main kinds of saddle bags, the football shaped bikepacking bags and the old British style transverse saddle bags, like Carradice make. A rear rack helps stabilize the transverse type, but it isn't strictly necessary, you can get attachments that will support the bag.

The main advantage of bike packing gear is the small bags force you to cut weight, and apparently they are more aerodynamic than panniers. Also much trendier. If you are doing the Divide and you see people with panniers, they are either over 50 or from Europe. Probably both.

Personally I'd go for the rack, it enables you to carry a flat of beer back to camp

Last edited by skookum; 11-29-18 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 11-29-18, 10:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
If you are referring to the under saddle bike backing, they are intended for road bikes that cannot fit racks or off-road touring where the cargo needs to be very secure. Of course, some people do it, because it's the latest "thing".
If you are riding your bike on finished surfaces and your bike can fit racks; go with the racks.
Nope. CreakingCrank nails it. Bikepacking gear was originally designed for off-road touring, specifically touring that includes single track riding. The bags actually carry poorly on the bike vs panniers but panniers don’t do well in tight quarters. This bike handles the load much better

2015-05-03 11.38.54 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

than this bike

DSCN1197 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The weight on the mountain bike is too high and too far forward for good handling but panniers are just too vulnerable for off-road touring.

For any touring, I would much prefer panniers. The load is lower and easier to control. But when trails are narrow and there are rocks along the way, panniers become a liability. The bikepacking gear is compromise but it is inferior, in my opinion, for anything but the purpose it was desisgned for, in other words, off-road touring.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.