Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How often do you need a day off?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 04:31 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
There are probably as many different answers as there are cyclists. Here is mine: Back when I was still working and commuting 60 km round trip to work every day along with weekend club rides I once rode 42 days in a row. Averaged well over 500 km per week. Felt better at the end of that stretch than I did at the beginning. However, I was careful to measure my efforts, since I was racing on weekends and had to make sure not to be tired on the start line. It helped that I had already been riding seriously for over 25 years at that point so I was aware of my limits. It worked pretty well, in racing I managed many podium spots at the Provincial masters level and a win in a time trial at the national championships. Some people thrive on a high workload, some others don't and have to train more specifically. For me, a daily cycling diet worked well. Also, I didn't have the discipline to stick to a strict training plan
Old 05-08-19, 06:07 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Still kinda new to biking on a regular basis. How much rest does the body need from it?

I know it's not as demanding on the body as heavy weightlifting where you need a day off, but also a bit harder than, say, hiking.

Can you bike 6-7 times a week, or is that too much? I realize that also depends on distance and effort. But trying to get a feel for how much is too much so that I don't over-do it.
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
It depends on your physical conditioning and they type of riding you do.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Agree with people who say "it depends". If you're leisurely riding an hour or less per day, there's no reason you'd probably need a recovery day.

If you're pushing that hour hard, or doing longer rides, a day off every few is probably a good idea. The line is going to vary a lot from person to person.
I was involved with this exchange on the thread, Rest vs Ride:
Originally Posted by Maelochs
…Adaptation to mileage happens when your legs can recover. …If you never rest you will possibly survive the ride, but you will lose capacity steadily.

If you are willing to take twice as long to ride to work for several days, that might give your legs enough of a rest. Might not.

Go ahead and do your weekend plan.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Since my perceived exertion is relative, I can ride according to my schedule as I feel
Damnit, Jim, I'm a cyclist, not a doctor!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"I'm Givin'Her All She's Got, Maelochs!"
hate to do the +1 thing but this was exceptional ... with the visual, too ....laughed loud enough to upset my wife.
Old 05-10-19, 12:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
At 61, recovering from injuries and illness over the past year, I've cut back from 5-6 rides a week to 2-4, with only one hard workout ride. I needed more rest and recovery time. My average speeds/times on familiar 20-30 mile routes are about the same as this time last year, but I can't do it as often for now. My mileage is down from around 125 miles a week, 400-500 per month, to 50-75 a week.
Old 05-10-19, 04:49 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
M-F I commute 12 miles per day. Additionally I run 30 miles per week. I also bike Tu and Th evenings about 20 miles each day, moderate to high intensity. Saturday is rest day. Sunday 50-75 miles, fairly easy pace. Not as much work I think as when I ran 80-100 miles per week, but I still need a rest day.