Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you placed your last online order for Shimano stuff & if so, what did you buy?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have you placed your last online order for Shimano stuff & if so, what did you buy?

Old 05-27-19, 11:58 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

With Shimano finally getting around to enforcing their ban on online stores selling Shimano gear, I had to have a long hard think about what stuff did Shimano make that I might need over the next few years, that I didn't want to pay a massive mark up on, from an LBS, compared to the online prices I have been use to.

BTW, Bike24 and Bike-components.de(with 10% off all Shimano items by using the code "Shimano10" at the checkout) will take orders on Shimano products until 1 June 2019, so think long and hard about it.

If you have a Shimano road crank double, I'm sure you won't have difficulty finding new chain rings at your LBS in the future, but as I have just recently purchased a 3x Trekking crank by Shimano(T781), I noticed that I couldn't find a store in Australia selling replacement chain rings for this crankset, so I have ordered some replacements for it in my last order.

The main thing that I purchased that I didn't think there was a suitable substitute for, was a set of 4 piston XT disc brakes, so I ordered Shimano XT BR-M8020 Disc Brake Set

I figured I might try to build up a wheelset at some point and if Shimano parts were out of the picture, I'd end up paying a lot more for DT Swiss hubs, especially their rear one, which is about 3 times the cost of a XT hub and this XT hub comes with 36 holes.

So I also purchased the following :

Shimano XT HB-M8000 Disc Center Lock front Hub for Quick Releases

&

Shimano XT FH-M8000 Disc Center Lock Rear Hub for Quick Releases

So what Shimano goodies did other people get as part of their last online order of Shimano gear?
Old 05-27-19, 12:08 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
With Shimano finally getting around to enforcing their ban on online stores selling Shimano gear, I had to have a long hard think about what stuff did Shimano make that I might need over the next few years, that I didn't want to pay a massive mark up on, from an LBS, compared to the online prices I have been use to.
Sounds more like a reason to give 'em the finger and explore other options rather than buy a bunch of their stuff. Whatever the case, I can't imagine this ban continuing indefinitely; in today's world if you're not selling online you're basically dead.

Maybe they're overestimating the power of the dark side....
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-27-19, 12:20 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
I don't know what this "ban" is really all about, other than enforcing manufacturers suggested pricing to keep off shore products from under pricing the locals.

I only have one bike with Shimano (Deore), and I can still get anything I need from Amazon. If you have a Sram equipped bike, this is nothing new.

Now, having said that, if I have a hard time getting my blue spd-sl cleats from Amazon, my opinion will change quickly.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-27-19 at 12:26 PM.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 05-27-19, 12:43 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I don't think Shimano stopped selling online entirely, I think they just stopped selling across regions online. Both of the above vendors are European, they just stopped selling in the US. You will be able to buy Shimano stuff from domestic online sellers. The reason for the ban is Shimano wants to price control by region. Shimano lowered their US pricing by 20-40% in 2016 in anticipation of this change.

I use Ultegra groupsets as a comparison. A full 8000 groupset undiscounted from Merlin in the UK costs about $720 shipped, compared to about $850 undiscounted from a domestic seller. That's a hefty premium in the US no matter how you paint it. At least a shop will now likely be able to sell you Shimano for similar prices now. Also, Ebay is still out there.

Note that SRAM has always set MSPs online.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-27-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 12:49 PM
BobFishell

Bikes: 1990 Klein Quantum, 1995 Klein Quantum Pro, 1997 Klein Pulse Comp, Cannondale 3.0 (junk box build - year unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I just now ordered an HG-71 8-speed chain from Amazon. Maybe I should order another 2 or 3. 8-speed components are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 05-27-19, 01:02 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't think Shimano stopped selling online entirely, I think they just stopped selling across regions online. Both of the above vendors are European, they just stopped selling in the US. You will be able to buy Shimano stuff from domestic online sellers.
Domestic online sellers in Australia are pretty woeful and not very price competitive.

I suspect things may not be as dire in the USA or UK.
Old 05-27-19, 01:03 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
How is it that Shimano prices can be so different for European countries versus the US? And why, if as Hiro11 claims Shimano has dropped prices by 20-40% in the US, do they need to block me the consumer from buying wherever I want? In my US market experience, product selection remains poor and pricing high. Explore the options for Shimano dyno hubs in the US market versus the German market and tell me how I'm being treated fairly as a consumer. Is this even legal (from a consumer protection standpoint) in the US market?

Shimano is making a mistake here but I doubt they'll realize it any time soon.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 05-27-19, 01:06 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Sounds more like a reason to give 'em the finger and explore other options rather than buy a bunch of their stuff. Whatever the case, I can't imagine this ban continuing indefinitely; in today's world if you're not selling online you're basically dead.

Maybe they're overestimating the power of the dark side....
I've since been able to find alternate suppliers of brake pads and rotors and avoiding their chains are easy with KMC.

But I couldn't find another product with anything like the same value for money in respect of their disc brake sets and rear hubs.
Old 05-27-19, 01:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
No I haven't placed my last online order of Shimano stuff.

If I did, then I would have to go to Campy, SRAM, or Microshift.
Campy is a non starter due to it being so limited in availability, it costing more than I want, and seeming old in my mind.
SRAM is a non starter because I just don't care to figure out new stuff.
Microshift would be fine if there were more options and a wider range of drivetrain components.

Of the 3, I really would be good with microshift as i like their road shifters up to 10sp. The 11sp groups use a thumb button though. Why the design change?...odd. if their 11sp shifters used the same dedicated 2 paddle design as the lower groups, I would be game. Exposed shift cables is also lame, given how long others have tucked then under the tape.

I'll just buy shimano stuff where I can for the lowest price I can. It'll most likely be ebay.

What I won't do is spend much time bemoaning the situation. I find it interesting from a global supply and trade perspective and like learning about it because I'm a nerd, but I really can't see myself getting worked up over it.

The changes will increase the cost of building a built by $200 or so. That's nothing to ignore, but it's also not insurmountable.
Old 05-27-19, 05:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Are shimano complete groupsets even their own SKU in the US? Finding individual parts is seemingly doable with a struggle, finding a 105/Tiagra/Sora etc groupset from a US e-tailer.. pretty darn near impossible. It's not really just the money, but can you even find this stuff to buy?

googling yields that Aliexpress may be the go-to place. Was this the outcome Shimano hoped for?
Old 05-27-19, 05:29 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are shimano complete groupsets even their own SKU in the US? Finding individual parts is seemingly doable with a struggle, finding a 105/Tiagra/Sora etc groupset from a US e-tailer.. pretty darn near impossible. It's not really just the money, but can you even find this stuff to buy?

googling yields that Aliexpress may be the go-to place. Was this the outcome Shimano hoped for?
For Shimano....You can find Ultegra and above easily online...and 105 if you know where to look. All the lower tier stuff no one stocks (as a group set) or lists online. There simply aren't enough sales to justify the overhead. Some e-tailers list via groupset (Colorado Cyclist, CompetitiveCyclist, TexasCycleSport to name a few), otherwise you're looking for indiv part numbers.
Old 05-27-19, 06:35 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Damn, wish would have had that code when I placed my bike 24 order. Well, still saved a lot. And US prices sure will go up once the competition is gone.....

Got a set of Deore brakes, XT shifter with SLX derailleur, 203mm adapter, a rotor and pads from Shimano. Plus some non-Shimano stuff.

For example, the Deore set was $87. Jenson sells a single Deore for $66 or so. Similar price advantage for the rest.

I had planned to buy that stuff in winter for an upgrade, but moved this up. Not planning for years ahead. Who knows what bike I build in 2 years. With new hubstandard. 13 speed and son maybe coming it doesn't save me money to to pre-purchase.

For what I ordered there is just not a quality alternative. No other shifter has instant release and double shift. No other reasonably priced brakes with mineral oil and easy to service.

Pads, rotors, cassettes, chains I can get from others.

TBH, I will just upgrade less.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 05-27-19 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 07:12 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Damn, wish would have had that code when I placed my bike 24 order. Well, still saved a lot. And US prices sure will go up once the competition is gone.....

Got a set of Deore brakes, XT shifter with SLX derailleur, 203mm adapter, a rotor and pads from Shimano. Plus some non-Shimano stuff.

For example, the Deore set was $87. Jenson sells a single Deore for $66 or so. Similar price advantage for the rest.

I had planned to buy that stuff in winter for an upgrade, but moved this up. Not planning for years ahead. Who knows what bike I build in 2 years. With new hubstandard. 13 speed and son maybe coming it doesn't save me money to to pre-purchase.

For what I ordered there is just not a quality alternative. No other shifter has instant release and double shift. No other reasonably priced brakes with mineral oil and easy to service.

Pads, rotors, cassettes, chains I can get from others.

TBH, I will just upgrade less.

Your story mirrors mine almost exactly.

In addition to the brakes and hubs I bought, I also bought a Shimano 203mm and 180mm adapter from IS2000 to Post-Mount and I had previously bought a 11 speed XT shifter set(for a build I changed my mind on), so that stays in its box for now.
Old 05-27-19, 07:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm not hedge investing in Shimano components.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-28-19, 07:21 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
And why, if as Hiro11 claims Shimano has dropped prices by 20-40% in the US, do they need to block me the consumer from buying wherever I want?
I don't just "claim" it, here's proof:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...g#.XO0zr25OlPA

Prior to 2016, Shimano used to be absurdly overpriced in the US when compared to Europe. It's still higher but not the ~40% premium we used to pay buying domestically. Prior to 2016, the pricing was so comparatively low in Europe that QBP's wholesale prices to US bike shops for Shimano gear were actually higher than just going online and buying from Wiggle or whoever. My bike shop would just tell me to go online for Shimano stuff. Shimano was trying to fix this issue and part of this is clearly Shimano throwing a bone to their dealers.

Note that SRAM has, if anything, even more restrictive pricing practices.

There are legitimate reasons why companies set different prices regionally: higher distribution costs, higher import duties, higher regulatory overhead etc. I'm not defending Shimano here, just saying that this is hardly "illegal". This happens in every industry, in fact the US is generally cheaper than everywhere else usually. Ever see what British people pay for cars, electronics and clothing? Yikes.
Old 05-28-19, 09:55 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't just "claim" it, here's proof:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...g#.XO0zr25OlPA

Prior to 2016, Shimano used to be absurdly overpriced in the US when compared to Europe. It's still higher but not the ~40% premium we used to pay buying domestically. Prior to 2016, the pricing was so comparatively low in Europe that QBP's wholesale prices to US bike shops for Shimano gear were actually higher than just going online and buying from Wiggle or whoever. My bike shop would just tell me to go online for Shimano stuff. Shimano was trying to fix this issue and part of this is clearly Shimano throwing a bone to their dealers.

Note that SRAM has, if anything, even more restrictive pricing practices.

There are legitimate reasons why companies set different prices regionally: higher distribution costs, higher import duties, higher regulatory overhead etc. I'm not defending Shimano here, just saying that this is hardly "illegal". This happens in every industry, in fact the US is generally cheaper than everywhere else usually. Ever see what British people pay for cars, electronics and clothing? Yikes.
Thanks for the link. Looks like dealers were left holding the bag on then current inventory. And Shimano’s “we don’t talk about pricing” attitude doesn’t help dealers feel very warm and fuzzy either. The whole thing is a mess. My only consolation is that I don’t have much need anymore for new, retail purchase items. I liked Shimano’s cheaper dyno hubs for wheel building across the fleet. If I can’t get what I want domestically I’ll just go with Shutter Precision. The one I have now is working well and the difference in price isn’t enough to derail future builds.

-Kedosto
Old 05-28-19, 10:28 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
The last Shimano items I bought were an HB-5800 silver 105 hubset in 36 hole for a second wheelset and a set of silver Tiagra 4600 sidepulls to replace a damaged set (QR levers had broken and parts are not available to repair) of Sora silver sidepulls on my wife's older Bianchi. Both came from a US source and the Tiagra sidepulls were crazy cheap at $29.00 a pair. Both were purchased early last fall.

My main beef is Shimano "upgrades" their levels often and then you are faced with lack of spare or repair parts as it is 'too new' or 'too old.' This is not limited to bike components. They are notorious for lacking common spares for fishing reels also.

I have a source of older take-off bike parts, so I cherry pick the Shimano items for spares.

I do not do overseas purchases for the most part except in rare instances, and they are not bicycle related.
Old 05-28-19, 10:32 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
I think part of the reason prices are lower in Europe is Shimano making allowances for the fact that our sales tax here is generally very high. Typically VAT is 20% here. I believe you pay much less in the US. And you should see what we pay for petrol (gas) where we pay VAT on the duty, which strikes me as rubbing salt in the wound. Thank goodness I do more miles on my bike that in the car!
Old 05-28-19, 10:58 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by BobFishell
I just now ordered an HG-71 8-speed chain from Amazon. Maybe I should order another 2 or 3. 8-speed components are getting harder and harder to find.
I didn't have any problems with ordering one from Jensen, just the opposite. Now that Performance brick and mortar stores are closed I had to go elsewhere and was surprised to find there were so many choices of Sram 8 speed chains. Shimano was the only choice for brake pads too if I didn't want Kool stops.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 05-28-19, 03:06 PM
BobFishell

Bikes: 1990 Klein Quantum, 1995 Klein Quantum Pro, 1997 Klein Pulse Comp, Cannondale 3.0 (junk box build - year unknown)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I know SRAM chains will work with Shimano components, but I'm picky about keeping my drive components kosher. I've always used Shimano chains and I'll keep using them until I can't find them any more. Besides, I bought a package of 30 8-speed Hyperglide pins about 20 years ago, and I still have a lot of them.
Old 05-28-19, 03:57 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I upgraded our road tandem from a 3x8 to 3x10 here a couple of months ago. The shifters were certainly pricier than they were in the past. My road bike with 105 shifters is starting to give me some fits so I am also looking at another painful purchase.
Old 05-28-19, 08:25 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I suppose "yes". I run SRAM (and some Campy)
Old 05-29-19, 06:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by BobFishell
I know SRAM chains will work with Shimano components, but I'm picky about keeping my drive components kosher. I've always used Shimano chains and I'll keep using them until I can't find them any more. Besides, I bought a package of 30 8-speed Hyperglide pins about 20 years ago, and I still have a lot of them.
re: pins- attaway to clutch to that dead tech!

I know the mentality well.
Old 05-29-19, 08:04 AM
neemt

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When is the ban coming to EU?
Old 05-29-19, 09:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by neemt
When is the ban coming to EU?
The ban for what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.