Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Mini V or Cantiliever brakes?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 11:00 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

This may be partying like it's 2011 but I'm in the middle of a bar swap on my old Redline Conquest Pro and I'm torn between keeping the Avid Shorty 6 cantis or swapping in a set of Tektro 926A Mini V brakes from an old project. The Tektros were the hot ticket back then and it eliminates the bowstring effect on the front brake from fork flex with the headset space cable stop. On the other hand I recall an old CX Magazine test where the Avid Shorty was actually the most powerful brake
I'd appreciate some experiences and opinions while the bar tape is off and all the housing is accessible.
Old 06-24-19, 12:42 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I can lock my wheels using either but prefer the lever feel of the mini v. It just feels more solid and responsive to me.
Old 06-24-19, 09:12 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I did this a couple years ago. The Tektros have really good stopping power, it was very easy to lock up the front wheel. On the other hand they *barely* had clearance to get my 38s in and out, and it seemed like I had to adjust them every single time I removed a wheel.

Finally went back to cantis just because I was tired of constantly adjusting the mini-Vs. I was able to adjust them a bit so they have pretty good stopping power too--not as good as the Mini-Vs, but good enough. I just got used to having to squeeze the lever harder with cantis.

Some day I will have disc brakes and then I'll be complaining about adjusting them, instead!
Old 06-24-19, 09:35 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Tektro 926 and RX6 mini-V brakes. I suspect other mini-Vs around the same length (80-90mm) would be fine, too. Paul Minimotos would be sweet. My 2007 Voodoo Agwe and 2008 KHS CX200 are running 926 front (with brake adjuster on the noodle) and RX6 rear brakes and road brake levers. I turn the barrel adjusters as the pads wear out -- no other maintenance required. Stopping power is great wet, dry, muddy, or salty.
I used all sorts of canti brakes in the mid-00s, and installed fork crown cable stops on my bikes. These mini-Vs are so much easier to setup and live with than most of the cantis.
Old 06-24-19, 11:49 AM
chemistry76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Mini-Vs have more breaking power than the Canti's. (You can lock the wheel up with both, but it takes more effort for Canti's.) For CX, it may not matter, but longer rides, the hand fatigue of having to squeeze harder on Canti's can come into play.