Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need Help Choosing a bike!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 04:45 PM
BikeNewbi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I知 overwhelmed by all the choices out there!
i知 looking for a hybrid/comforts and have no idea where to start.

I liked how the Giant Cypress DX looked and felt. Its around $700CAD where I am. I was wondering if theres anything similar that would be cheaper or anything better I could get for that price.

Thanks,
first time poster
Old 07-18-19, 11:35 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
If you're going the 650b route, you could have larger tires. Like the Kona Dew (47mm) and Devinci Cartier 1.75" (44mm). I just read a gravel bike article where they say even 40mm would be too small for certain rough terrain, suggesting 42mm might be the minimum recommended. Also, at least those two bikes have chainguards and have FRONT & REAR rack eyelets. Although the Kona has a triple crankset and the Devinci has a single crankset and fenders.

EDIT: Oops, just looked at the Cypress DX and realized you're really looking at a comfort bike with suspension forks. I found two others that are in the comfort category but have rigid forks. That's the Specialized Roll and the Cannondale Treadwell.
ANOTHER EDIT: Just to add some similar to the style of the Cypress DX... Jamis Explorer Sport, KHS TC 150, Trek Dual Sport 2, Kona Splice, Marin San Rafael DS2, Louis Garneau MX 2.

Last edited by hybridbkrdr; 07-20-19 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 03:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeNewbi
I知 overwhelmed by all the choices out there!
i知 looking for a hybrid/comforts and have no idea where to start.

I liked how the Giant Cypress DX looked and felt. Its around $700CAD where I am. I was wondering if theres anything similar that would be cheaper or anything better I could get for that price.

Thanks,
first time poster
BikeNewbi (boy, you're going to regret that screen name in a few hundred posts), what kind of riding do you want to do? Around the neighborhood? On paved trails? Unpaved trails? To work? All of the above? As for price, these days $700 is pretty cheap for a new bike, so don't expect much. You might have better luck on CraigsList; you can find less expensive bikes, and try different styles until one clicks for you. Hang out on Bike Forums and you can pick up a lot of knowledge to inform your choices.

And welcome!
Old 07-26-19, 07:28 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
I just read a gravel bike article where they say even 40mm would be too small for certain rough terrain, suggesting 42mm might be the minimum recommended.
I'd definitely go along with that. Some of the gravel I ride often is pretty large, and this can really throw a smaller tire around. I have 47-584 tires (or 650x47) on my Giant Roam, which actually measure about 50mm inflated, and that's probably as small as I'd ride. I've had larger 52mm tires on it before and those do even better. For the stuff I ride, I like at least a 50mm tire (2"). I had 50-622 tires before on the stock wheels, but dropped down to 584mm wheels ("650B") to keep the overall diameter in check.

I'd probably go for an even larger tire if there were good choices in a slick or semi-slick. The Specialized Nimbus from the Roll is available in a 2.3" and the Schwalbe Super Moto X is 2.4", but those are both pretty heavy, and likely not very supple.