Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tire sizing: Performance vs. availability

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 08:02 AM
bookishboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mostly I'm thinking about the difference between 406's and 451's for 20"-wheeled bikes, but I suppose this could as easily apply to the difference between 20" and 17" tires, or 20" vs 16".

For people who deliberately choose an odd wheel/tire size, or bought a bike that requires one, do you find the performance gains to be appreciable? Extraordinary? How often do you have to deal with the issue of not having a tire/tube around when you need one, and none available from any LBS's? Do you find that your choice of tire limits you to certain terrains, or get in your way when you want to do a specific style of biking? How much does "availability" play into your choice of wheel/tire?

One of my stock Kenda sidewalls failed on me two days ago (Thank god, right in town... I had a tube patch kit but hadn't yet read up on sidewall failures and quick-fixes like 'booting' them with a dollar bill). I'm within walking distance of my LBS, so went in for a replacement. I decided to try out slicks, so ordered a pair of Primo Kevlar Comets. I have to wait for them to arrive, but in the meantime, the store had a knobby cheap $12.99 BMX-style tire that I could use. I immediately appreciated the ready availability of the 406 tires.

I know that some of the folks in here use 451's, so let's hear it. Are they that much better performance-wise, and does the lower selection/availability of them bite you in the ass often?

Same thing for 16-inchers or any other odd size. I think some Moulton's use 17" wheels, and I think I've seen KHS bikes with 18" wheels.... any praises/gripes?
Old 05-26-06, 09:01 AM
Fear&Trembling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it easier to think in terms of the ERTO standard: 349, 355, 369, 406, 451 – these are commonly referred to as 16” (eg Brompton), 18” (eg R&M), 17” (eg Moulton) 20” (most Dahons, Swift, etc) and 20” (mostly, but not exclusively bents). As you can adduce, these imperial measurements are often misleading and as such bike shops can often get confused...

I buy tubes and tyres in bulk (usually mail order) and tend to swap them fairly regularly due to wear. However, I only occasionally change tyres to suit the riding conditions (usually in winter), but that is because I mostly commute down the same roads, day in, day out on my folders.

With the increasing popularity of folders/small wheeled bikes more tyres have become available, but 369, 451 and 355 remain the poor relations of 406 and 349 in terms of choice…

As for relative performance of the different sizes, I would be interested to see some data.
Old 05-28-06, 05:18 PM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use 20 inch knobbies on my dahon getaway fixie. I like them a lot and since I use it for winter riding speed is not the issue . I am just happy to stay upright and get in a ride instead of staying in the house. The price was good too about 10 dollars each from nashbar.