Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where EXACTLY do I lube the Derailleur????

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-26-06, 08:30 PM
StalkerZERO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can someone put up a pic of a derailleur with an arrow pointing EXACTLY where I put lube? I would need it for both the front and back derailleurs.
Plus where else exactly do I lube? Do I need to lube the cassette? Where exactly on the cables do I lube as well. Brake pivots points to right?

Forgive my noobiness.
Old 05-26-06, 10:18 PM
mrkott3r

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pivot joints on brakes, with cables I put a small amount down the cable housing. Lube from your chain should suffiecently lube the cassette.
Old 05-27-06, 03:22 PM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkott3r
Pivot joints on brakes, with cables I put a small amount down the cable housing. Lube from your chain should suffiecently lube the cassette.

Lube the pivot points on the brakes, and down cable housings (shift and brake) as already said. on the deraileur (it has parallel arms for moving it in and out so there are 4 pivot points there, and the pulleys also rotate forwards and back and spin so lube those pivots, and I prefer taking the deraileur apart and greasing the pulley axels, but if you're afraid to do that, then squirt some lube in there if they feel stiff. You will not need to lube the casette as it actually doesn't have moving parts, it just sits on a spinning cassette freewheel, you can squirt some penetrating light oil into that if it's feeling gritty and sluggish, if it's not, leave it. too much lube just collects dust and sand so go light, and wipe off anything that drips down the outside parts you can reach.

I found some pics on the net, and labeled them as to where to lube, so see attatched pics please.

I hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
File Type: jpg
duraace rear lube points.JPG (44.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-27-06, 08:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
it has parallel arms for moving it in and out so there are 4 pivot points
Actually there are 4 pivot pins on each of the front and back links so there are a total of 8 pivot points to be lubed on the parallelogram.