Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 02:42 PM
cnickgo
Argyle Army Foot Soldier

Bikes: Fort Gestus, 79 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 81 Raleigh Supercourse, Mosh Lux 2* Gold, IRO Rob Roy on order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice! Your making me jealous... I want my frame already! What kind of hills do you have around you and what bars are those?
Old 10-19-07, 11:54 AM
bward1028

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
cross post from SSFG
Originally Posted by bward1028
My new 'cross toy.

color-matching isn't usually my thing, but this worked out kind of by accident.

Old 10-19-07, 03:31 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livewirerc
Here's my IRO Rob Roy, currently set up with a 44/40 up front and a 17/21 surly dinglecog on the fixed side with a 17/19 white industries dos eno freewheel on the other. Gives me a couple gears to play with. Haven't done any CX racing on it yet (will be freewheeling when I do) but I love tearing around the local trails and this thing makes mincemeat of my 16.5 mile commute. I'm swapping out the frame for a 56cm green one via the group buy, but all the parts are staying.

What are you doing with the old frame?
Old 10-22-07, 07:00 PM
jasonguard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm all done "improving on" this bike. I hope it doesn't bring the caliber of this thread down too much. It's kind of a commuter anyhow and I don't put on the knobbies too often unless I'm gonna hit the trails. The Nashbar carbon cross fork is finally on, same with the in-line brakes (after a little debacle). What do you all think? The ride is very smooth, despite the aluminum and the Nashbar brand name. I spent about $200 on the frame/fork and got about that for the old Surly frame that was too big for me. Seriously, no complaints just yet. Just a need for a new set of brifters (holla if you know of any for cheap). The camo tape is also from Nashbar. Not sure how long I'll keep that look, but I think it's fun for the time being.

Old 10-22-07, 07:10 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bward1028
cross post from SSFG

OH MY GOD YOUR BIKE IS SOOOOOO SICK!!!
Old 10-23-07, 12:07 PM
~stella
worst luck ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livewirerc
Here's my IRO Rob Roy, currently set up with a 44/40 up front and a 17/21 surly dinglecog on the fixed side with a 17/19 white industries dos eno freewheel on the other. Gives me a couple gears to play with. Haven't done any CX racing on it yet (will be freewheeling when I do) but I love tearing around the local trails and this thing makes mincemeat of my 16.5 mile commute. I'm swapping out the frame for a 56cm green one via the group buy, but all the parts are staying.

Wonderful looking bike! I've been considering a Rob Roy as a single speed cross bike, just out of curiosity what size is that?
Old 10-27-07, 07:11 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a pic of just the bike, unfortunately. Here's the bike with its sub-standard rider at last weekend's race.

2006 Devinci Tosca ... changes made are:
- Ritchey Pro Biomax bars
- Ritchey Pro stem
- Selle Italia SLR knock-off saddle (horrible)
- FSA Gossamer cranks (50/34, soon to be 46/34)
- Crank Brothers Eggbeater SL pedals

The frame fits me pretty well and I love that it's Canadian made (entirely, even the tubeset is made in Canada) plus the lifetime warranty is a bonus.

Old 10-28-07, 11:00 AM
Lost again
Directionally Challenged

Bikes: 2000 Turner Burner, MTB, 2007 Turner 5 Spot MTB, 08 Bianchi Axis CX bike, Giant TCR 01 Carbon Road,Surly 1X1 ss MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still a work in progress....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0799.jpg (63.3 KB, 258 views)
Old 10-28-07, 12:35 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the 2007 K2 Enemy I just picked up Wednesday . Sorry for the crappy cell pic but for now that's all I have.

The bike in the picture is stock but I've since put on my Selle San Marco which seems to be a hapy medium between super soft mountain bike saddles (the stock WTB felt awful) and really hard road saddles, which I don't like for extended periods off-road (their fine for the pavement though). Also, I'm a little nervous about the carbon seatpost, so I may pick up an aluminum one just for the peace of mind. I'm not anti carbon and I only weight about 150 pounds clothed, it's just that I want something realy solid what with my hard and sloppy remounts. I'm too much of a noob for the couple of grams added to make much of a difference.

I also decided to give the eggbeater c's a try before I swapped on my normal shimano SPDs... and boy are they smooooooth. Also, the spds are almost scarily hard to disengage sometimes when it's really muddy, hopefully the eggbeaters will be better. The only thing I don't like about the pedals is the enormous amount of float. A little is fine, but it feels like I have to twist my foot really far out in order to disengage. Maybe I'll get used to it, but does anybody use the road cleats instead of the mountain ones? Any appreciable difference between the two?

The bike is full Tiagra which is fine for me. As stuff wears out I'l probably just replace it with 105. Honestly though, the Tiagra feels surprisingly smooth.

The gearing is also kind of road oriented, with a 50/38 and a 12-26. For racing I think I'll get a 48 toth ring, though I like the 38. Anyhting smaller than that and I feel like I'd be switching back and forth from the big to small ring too often.

The switch to STI also feels great. I seem to be shifting a lot more than I did with my bar ends, which I like, but they have their limitations. I imagine this advantage wil be even more pronounced in a race.

Also, the handling feels really, really god, nice and quick. Of course my only frame of reference is the touring bike I was using before, but still, I'm very happy to have a "real" cross bike.
Old 10-29-07, 06:36 AM
deanathin
I pity the fool!

Bikes: 2007 felt z75 2007 felt F1X with a broken deraileur, singlespeed 50cm conquest sport, old salsa cyclocross bike (like one of their first frames for cyclocross) and a small raliegh mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my cyclocross bike is pretty bad ass even though in this picture you cant see the new salsa chainguard i have just bought. this is just my back up bike in a race becuase i usually ride on a F1X which is a team bike. the frame is steel and its about 14 years old and has ultegra in the back with a ultegra and 600 shifter
Old 10-29-07, 06:39 AM
deanathin
I pity the fool!

Bikes: 2007 felt z75 2007 felt F1X with a broken deraileur, singlespeed 50cm conquest sport, old salsa cyclocross bike (like one of their first frames for cyclocross) and a small raliegh mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
poo i forgot the picture
Attached Images
Old 10-29-07, 06:57 AM
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 10-29-07, 09:21 AM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for finally taking pics before it gets trashed.
Old 10-29-07, 10:20 AM
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hahaha.. those last couple are ones I took the night I picked it up, so it's still totally pristine. I wish my chainstay was still that fresh and clean.. I should have put a protector dingdong on there right away. oh wells!
Old 10-31-07, 07:17 AM
tdblanchard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's right...studded tires baby!!!
Old 11-07-07, 02:17 PM
i_r_beej
Portland, OR

Bikes: Cannondale: '94 R400; Lemond Poprad '06; Specialized Epic Marathon '06; Specialized Stumpjumper '89; Redline Proline Pro Cruiser '10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice to see "alt bars" making a good showing.

Here's my ride:

Pretty much standard LeMond spec-- 105 changers, SRAM cassette and chain, Bonty crank. Tossed the stock VP HS with a lovely green Chris King. Replaced the plastic DT cable stops with Shimano stops. Avid Shorty canti's work quite well, thankyouverymuch, Kool-Stop pads upgraded the braking performance tremendously and eliminated much of the cantilever squeal. A Chris Kelly rear brake cable hanger sorts out a fubar'd factory setup that wasn't helped by the short aftermarket Tektro and Dia-Compe hanger. At 50mm long, it allows enough room to straighten out the sharp curves of the brake cable. It's little things like this that tend to get overlooked. The tires are the amazing Maxxis Larsen Mimo CX. These things hook up in the mud like crazy. I just can't believe how well they've worked! Topping everything off is the incomparable Midge bar by On-One.
Old 11-07-07, 02:36 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that a powermeter up there on the bars?
Old 11-07-07, 11:31 PM
KRhea

Bikes: Lots

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
MountainCycle...prior to install of cross rubber
Old 11-08-07, 06:54 PM
i_r_beej
Portland, OR

Bikes: Cannondale: '94 R400; Lemond Poprad '06; Specialized Epic Marathon '06; Specialized Stumpjumper '89; Redline Proline Pro Cruiser '10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice MC... more pics please!
Old 11-10-07, 03:04 PM
Vespa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Surly CC with Campy Mirage set-up
Attached Images
IMG_1303.jpg (27.3 KB, 195 views)
Old 11-10-07, 09:45 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdblanchard

That's right...studded tires baby!!!
That is a great looking AXIS. The Thomson stem and post, and campy parts make it.
Old 11-11-07, 02:34 AM
truvaine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pretty much brand new,

and for sale!!
2006 Redline Conquest, 55/56cm

bills come first..plus i am not racing as much as i'd like, so therefore i'll go back to my '84 Trek 410Touring for cx riding.

Old 11-12-07, 12:13 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by truvaine
pretty much brand new,

and for sale!!
2006 Redline Conquest, 55/56cm

bills come first..plus i am not racing as much as i'd like, so therefore i'll go back to my '84 Trek 410Touring for cx riding.

That's a nice ride, so are you selling it? Any pics of the Trek?
Old 11-12-07, 12:19 PM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

2007 Poprad with Disc

Thomson X4 stem. 100 mm and 0 rise. Chris King headset. Pro PLT Compact Classic Bend 44cm bar.

Thomson detail.

Cane Creek Cross levers.

Fizik Microtex Tape.

New Selle San Marco Regal in white. Ti rails. I have never known comfort until this saddle.
Old 11-13-07, 10:18 AM
truvaine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IchbinJay
That's a nice ride, so are you selling it? Any pics of the Trek?
here's some pics of the trek. i absolutely love the paint (ha, ha..). am considering repainting it soon, although i am kinda falling for the purple/red..
have new 8speed Sora shifters, a XeroLite wheelset (as well as a set of Alex's, shown on the bike instead of stock rims), XT rear der, Alvivo front, and i've already installed some Truvativ Elita cranks,etc. etc. i'll fix it up when finals are over. dumb college...

as for the redline, yup, its for sale. cant justify keeping a nice bike around taht i dont really ride.

interested?
Attached Images
IMG_0235.JPG (81.2 KB, 228 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.