Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

XT = Snob appeal?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

XT = Snob appeal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 07:44 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
XT = Snob appeal?

I know xtr is, just wondering about XT.
Old 06-19-09, 08:00 PM
hernick

Bikes: Fuji Touring 64cm, Peugeot Canada PB-18 61cm and winter beaters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL what?

From my point of view, you just can't go wrong with plain ol' Deore, LX or XT, each level being a small improvement over the last. XTR is another matter entirely, as I feel it pushes the lightweight aspect so far as to compromise durability.

Plain old Deore should serve the needs of every serious cyclist - LX or XT are incremental improvements at a great cost, but if somebody can afford it, they certainly can't go wrong with either.

The thing is about Shimano, practically every product they make is good. From the lowly $10 shifter sets like the SL-TX30 or the whole Tourney range, to the Tiagra hubs that Sheldon brown said were better than any hub from any other mfg other than Phil Wood, to the ugly, inexpensive, but strong and reliable Deore rear derailleur, to the low-end riveted cranksets to the inexpensive and expensive replacement chainrings, to the $5 UG-51 chain and the reasonably affordable 9-speed HG-53 chain, to the odd but light and precise Sora Brifters still available in 8 and 9 speed, Shimano makes great products at any price point.

So if you want the best non-racing MTB components Shimano has to offer, go XT. It's a little pricy, but it's very well made, long-lasting and very nice looking. But Deore won't let you down - and as a matter of fact, neither will Alivio, Acera, Altus, Sora, 2200 and yes, even the TX and the 050 series if you're not too hard on them.
Old 06-19-09, 08:05 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Thanks. My XT front and rear derailleurs and 2010 race face deus crankset arrived today

Just wanted to know if people will look at it and go oh... xt.. or OH! XT!
Old 06-19-09, 08:10 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
Thanks. My XT front and rear derailleurs and 2010 race face deus crankset arrived today

Just wanted to know if people will look at it and go oh... xt.. or OH! XT!
XT doesn't have the bling appeal of XTR, but XT is nothing to laugh at. The cost difference between LX and XT is relatively small, but the cost jump to XTR is a huge leap.

I run XT, so I'm a bit biased, but it seems to be the best bang for the buck. It's great quality stuff and is very respectable, yet not nearly as costly as XTR.

Likewise, I run Ultegra grade components on my road, for the same above reasons.
Old 06-19-09, 08:23 PM
mzeffex 

Yeah I heard (from my fellow bike shop employees at my shop) that XTR is just not as durable as xt. That's why I didn't go for it. I could have gotten it cheaper than it sells from employee discount.
Old 06-19-09, 08:28 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
XT doesn't have the bling appeal of XTR, but XT is nothing to laugh at. The cost difference between LX and XT is relatively small, but the cost jump to XTR is a huge leap.

I run XT, so I'm a bit biased, but it seems to be the best bang for the buck. It's great quality stuff and is very respectable, yet not nearly as costly as XTR.

Likewise, I run Ultegra grade components on my road, for the same above reasons.
I'm exactly the same. XT and Ultegra. Best for the money. The jumps to XTR and DA are too large for me.
Old 06-19-09, 08:31 PM
mzeffex 

Also as I'm not sponsored I don't want to have to replace XTR every year or X amount of time.

But back on topic, does XT = snob appeal?
Old 06-19-09, 08:49 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Possibly but only to those who give a crap (most people don't know a MTB from a road bike let alone XT from Tourney) and don't own XT or above. XTR owners will still look down on you as a penny pincher.
Old 06-19-09, 08:58 PM
mzeffex 

^ hahaha, well, too bad. Still pleased from the previous deore/alivio upgrade.
Old 06-19-09, 08:59 PM
dwr1961

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not with anyone I know. It's well-respected stuff, but no one will slobber over it.

As has been said earlier: The Ultegra of the MTB world. Good choice.
Old 06-19-09, 09:07 PM
mzeffex 

Eh, alright. aybe the new crankset will make up for that.
Old 06-19-09, 09:16 PM
FLYcrash

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think so.

An XT rear derailer has bearings in the pulleys instead of bushings. That adds functionality but doesn't earn snob appeal compared to LX or below, right? (I don't know...I'm oblivious to snob appeal. I like things that work well and are beautiful.)

Also, XT components don't have the flashy bling look. I wouldn't be able to spot them from further than I can read the stamp. Now Phil Wood, Chris King, Nitto...there's unmistakeable snob appeal. (And extraordinary functionality, too.)

Now an XT front derailer...maybe that's snob appeal. Even quite cheap front derailers work very well.
Old 06-19-09, 09:31 PM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XT cassettes have noticeably less weight than their LX cousins. Now, I am not a weight weenie, but that is rotating mass right there.

Originally Posted by dwr1961
As has been said earlier: The Ultegra of the MTB world. Good choice.
What? I better get it off my road bike.
Old 06-19-09, 09:37 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
XT looks nice...

But XTR is H-O-T

Old 06-19-09, 09:45 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Why are you trying to appeal to snobs?
Old 06-19-09, 09:47 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I also have XT on my Giant and it's been pretty good stuff...but, I only have about 15,000 miles on components and bike, and the last 5,000 miles has been on a trainer. But the shifters tend to go out of adjustment frequently so I'm always having to do something to get them to work again. This is an older generation so maybe those had bugs. Odd bike, the thing came with all XT stuff except the wheels and hubs which were cheap and on the heavy side from China!
Old 06-19-09, 10:09 PM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
But the shifters tend to go out of adjustment frequently so I'm always having to do something to get them to work again. This is an older generation so maybe those had bugs.
The older rapid rise XT rear derailers had problems with constantly going out of adjustment. The new ones are fine. If you have a rapid rise derailer you might consider replacing it.
Old 06-19-09, 10:15 PM
mzeffex 

They actually do have ceramic bushings - it is labeled on the each pulley
Old 06-20-09, 06:08 AM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tabor
The older rapid rise XT rear derailers had problems with constantly going out of adjustment. The new ones are fine. If you have a rapid rise derailer you might consider replacing it.
I think they are rapid risers, but I don't ride the bike frequently enough to warrant replacing them till they break altogether. But since you brought that up, your right, I will replace them when necessary.
Old 06-20-09, 08:58 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
XT is the work horse group. I typically recommend XT unless you have tons of cash and ok with having "the second best group"

But sure if you want to buy XTR and come back every few months buying super expensive cassettes and middle chain rings, its more money in my pocket.

Though I do recommend upgrading to XTR shifters, they are a lot better than the XT and IMO worth the premium.
Old 06-20-09, 06:04 PM
mzeffex 

Alright - looking into new shifters as I run cheap-o sram ones anyways. Gripshift. Maybe I'll go for XTR.