Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Of hubs and rims

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Of hubs and rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 09:22 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Of hubs and rims

Looking to upgrade stock '03 wheelset (Matrix 550 rims /M40-8 hubs). LBS is trying to sell me a set of camino rims laced to M475 hubs for $160. The reviews on the M475 hubs at Mtbr are scathing. I'm wondering whether people here have had similar bad experiences with these hubs or if there was just a problem with one model year. It also seems overpriced.

I am also looking at a set of handbuilt wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse, but I am a little hesitant because their deals seem too good to be true and I have never done business with them before. Intended use of wheels is XC and singletrack. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 01-27-10, 10:35 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$160 =poop unless you use gold plated Marwi's to build 'em. But you gotta remember that it's a LBS and they need to eat.

BWW looks really nice. Even if they do losen up, you could just drip a little lindseed oil in every nipple and retension by hand. My LBS did this to a set of machine-built XT/RhynoLite's and they were fantastic after a 100mi retension.

BWW
Old 01-27-10, 02:53 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low price is not the same as low cost. I can't say I have ever dealt with Bicycle Wheel Warehouse so I can't give advise there. I ride XC and the best bang for the buck in my oppinion is the XT hub. It uses the coated bearing races of the XTR and has decent seals. It is completely rebuildable and with good maintenance will last a long time. The most cost effective way to get a decent set of wheels is to buy the wheels you want at a source you trust and have them "touched up" or tensioned properly to correct anything the machine did.
Old 01-27-10, 03:50 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blamp28
Low price is not the same as low cost. I can't say I have ever dealt with Bicycle Wheel Warehouse so I can't give advise there. I ride XC and the best bang for the buck in my oppinion is the XT hub. It uses the coated bearing races of the XTR and has decent seals. It is completely rebuildable and with good maintenance will last a long time. The most cost effective way to get a decent set of wheels is to buy the wheels you want at a source you trust and have them "touched up" or tensioned properly to correct anything the machine did.
Same here on the XT hubs. OR- Buy hand built from a known good source.

Prices are high for you now- but a superb wheel builder if you are in the UK.

https://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mounta...m-wheels-disc/

Click on a wheel and select the hub- rim and spokes.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-28-10, 01:22 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Ok. I think I narrowed it to these two.

1. Sun Rhyno Lite XL welded Custom /XT hubs. $143.45 or

2. Mavic XC717 V-brake Custom /XT hubs $202.95

I'll take durability over less weight. Should I go with the Rhynos?
Old 01-28-10, 01:27 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
Ok. I think I narrowed it to these two.

1. Sun Rhyno Lite XL welded Custom /XT hubs. $143.45 or

2. Mavic XC717 V-brake Custom /XT hubs $202.95

I'll take durability over less weight. Should I go with the Rhynos?
Both rims are good but if into XC- then the 717 rims are better. If you are a bit lardy or ride heavy then go with the rhyno lites. I have both but do prefer lighter wheels.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-28-10, 01:44 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm 5' 9" and between 180-190 depending upon how much beer I drink that week. I am not "lardy" but not a lightweight either. While I do not intend to purposefully abuse the wheels, I am fairly new to offroading/singletrack and have a lot to work on finesse-wise. I don't plan on jumping off of staircases, but need something that is a little forgiving if my rear end fails to clear a log or when (not if) I take a header.