Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Why I didn't ride today!

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Why I didn't ride today!

Old 05-15-11, 01:53 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last night had that nasty stomach virus - today i'm very hungry. I'll provide more details upon request.........
Old 05-17-11, 03:11 AM
Buckeye Jim

Bikes: Motobecane Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did not ride today because its raining cats and dogs now with more to come. Will ride the motorcycle instead.
Old 05-17-11, 07:03 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Cool, rainy and windy. Same today, just not quite as cool but more wind. Tomorrow looks good.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-18-11, 03:47 PM
RonH
Life is good

Still windy today so did yard work and took a walk with my wife.
No riding tomorrow either. We're headed up to far north Georgia (McCaysville) to meet some friends. Gotta ride Friday for sure.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-19-11, 01:16 PM
Lindaosm

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to do some traveling this last week for work so I only got a spinning class in on Monday.Hoping to get some miles in starting tomorrow @ O'Leno State Park. Not sure about the trails there but guess we will find out.
Old 05-19-11, 07:08 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindaosm
Had to do some traveling this last week for work so I only got a spinning class in on Monday.Hoping to get some miles in starting tomorrow @ O'Leno State Park. Not sure about the trails there but guess we will find out.
Don't forget the camera this time ....
Old 05-19-11, 08:52 PM
RonH
Life is good

Doesn't look like I'll be riding tomorrow. While in McCaysville today we were walking in the woods for a couple of hours and I got a bug in my eye and way too much pollen. Tonight my left eye is red and swollen and my nose is stopped up one minute and running the next. I guess its a good thing I don't live in the woods. :sneeze:

Old 05-20-11, 11:41 AM
redeyedtreefr0g
Mrs. Hop-along

Bikes: Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not riding today specifically because with swapping houses back and forth from ours to grandad's in order to work on the car, I forgot my razor and didn't shave. It's too hot here to ride in my jeans.

BUT I did get my handlebars adjusted and so next week I'll make a point to ride more. With all the stuff going on and getting so excited about leaving soon, I haven't ridden in 2 weeks. I miss my bike. Plus I think it makes me happier and lets me worry less about stuff I don't need to be thinking about until June.
Old 05-27-11, 04:09 PM
cyclehen
too old for bike shorts?

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scared off by predictions of severe thunderstorms... and I could have gotten a ride in. Damn.
Old 05-29-11, 04:39 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, haven't posted much because the riding I've been doing is minor. Last weekend we put in only about 10 miles on the mountain bikes at O'Leno State Park. Very sandy in spots and both of us came back with ticks. We were really disappointed in the trails there as most were hiking only.
This weekend we were at Rainbow Springs State Park. We did ride outside the park down to the tubing entrance and back. Only about 7 miles. Saw a off road trail inside the park and decided to try it. About a half mile in we were attacked by horse flies so we quickly turned around and headed out. Most of the riding we did was around the park and down to the river for a quick swim. Here's a few pictures from this weekend.

I was ready for a ride.

Hubby...not so much. Luckily this happened before we left for our road ride.

this is where we spent the majority of the weekend. ;-)
Actually, I discovered a Kayak that I fell in love with. It's a Hobie pedal Kayak. I think it will fit in the back of the pick up with the bikes.

Almost forgot, Hubby took a ride around sunset and as he was passing through a low lying area towards the river, he thought he saw a small dog standing in the middle of the road. As he got closer, he realized it was a bobcat. In front of it was a woman and her child who were also headed to the river. As he got closer, it ran into the swampy area. As he approached the woman and her child, he told them there was a bobcat behind them. She freaked (as I would have) and turned around and headed back to her camper. So sorry I missed this ride.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lindaosm; 05-29-11 at 04:46 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-29-11, 09:06 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Linda... I KNOW what you mean about the horse flies/yellow flies/red flies .. They were attacking me today on my ride in the woods (see other thread). Got home and found 2 ticks (no fun). My sister used to live in Dunnellon (sp), so I have been to Rainbow Springs a few times. I took the nephew and his friends there about 5 years ago they went swimming I rode through town & down to the Withlacoochee trail. Rode the first 9 miles of it and then back to the springs.. This was in July so it was VERY HOT... I will never forget jumping into that COLD spring water after a HOT ride... what a rush I know you and your hubby rode the off road trails at the G.ville trail... I've been out there a couple of times in the last week or so... The trails are NICE right now.. Not to many bugs (yet) and dry. Rode the trail one way.... then went the other way... Makes it seem like 2 different trails when you do that, kinda fun & gets a few more miles in.
Old 05-29-11, 09:45 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pint+ low and still loopy.
Donated blood yesterday after I got 20 in.
They take your blood pressure before donating and the lady rattled off some blood pressure numbers that made no sense 122/88. Now I am a heart patient so I take my blood pressure on a regular basis. So when I got home I decided to take my blood pressure.
Now they do not warn you NOT to take your blood pressure on the arm you donated out of.

Let me tell you it was a REAL Monty Python moment as blood squinted out of my arm through the little bandaid they had placed over the hole. It had a B horror movie effect LOL. Sort of like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsM0C...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-30-11, 02:50 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
Linda... I KNOW what you mean about the horse flies/yellow flies/red flies .. They were attacking me today on my ride in the woods (see other thread). Got home and found 2 ticks (no fun). My sister used to live in Dunnellon (sp), so I have been to Rainbow Springs a few times. I took the nephew and his friends there about 5 years ago they went swimming I rode through town & down to the Withlacoochee trail. Rode the first 9 miles of it and then back to the springs.. This was in July so it was VERY HOT... I will never forget jumping into that COLD spring water after a HOT ride... what a rush I know you and your hubby rode the off road trails at the G.ville trail... I've been out there a couple of times in the last week or so... The trails are NICE right now.. Not to many bugs (yet) and dry. Rode the trail one way.... then went the other way... Makes it seem like 2 different trails when you do that, kinda fun & gets a few more miles in.
thanks, I saw you post about that awhile back. We're gonna have to try that one again. We rode it for a short distance and if I remember right, it was pretty wet so we turned around. I tell ya, here lately if it's not horse flies, it's ticks or Sand. Today we lucked out though. See "Did you ride today"
Old 06-02-11, 04:31 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't ride yesterday, not riding today & probably not tomorrow.... Reason? Melancholy? Thinking of all the places I could go ride today... and none of them have sparked any interest or excited me...... <sigh>
Old 06-02-11, 06:21 PM
RonH
Life is good

The wife and I drove up to Murphy and Hayesville, NC and McCaysville, GA. We were looking at houses. Found one near Hayesville. The roads in the area looked awesome. Rolling hills, a few long climbs but not too steep, lots of low and no traffic back roads, and very scenic. And it was about 8-10 degrees cooler than Atlanta.
Now we have to decide if we liked the house and area enough to uproot our lives and get out of the Atlanta madness at our ages (66 and 65).

Last edited by RonH; 06-03-11 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 07:44 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
The wife and I drove up to Murphy and Hayesville, NC and McCayesville, GA. We were looking at houses. Found one near Hayesville. The roads in the area looked awesome. Rolling hills, a few long climbs but not too steep, lots of low and no traffic back roads, and very scenic. And it was about 8-10 degrees cooler than Atlanta.
Now we have to decide if we liked the house and area enough to uproot our lives and get out of the Atlanta madness at our ages (66 and 65).
Ron, I have lots of friends in that area (Murphy/Blairsville/Hiawasee). Last year when I was up there I was so sorry I didn't have my bike. I saw so many roads that looked great for riding with hardly any traffic.

Hubby and I are just a few years younger than ya'll and we own some acreage up in Murphy but we've never done anything with it. We both keep thinking that it might be time to get out of FL, even if it's just for a few months a year. Would love to hear how your riding experiences are up there.
Old 06-02-11, 07:57 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
Didn't ride yesterday, not riding today & probably not tomorrow.... Reason? Melancholy? Thinking of all the places I could go ride today... and none of them have sparked any interest or excited me...... <sigh>
You know, I can really relate. I think that's why I've really been trying to find different places to ride. I was getting so tired of the same few spots. Hubby and I are headed out tomorrow down to Deland. Yep, it's a drive but it's something new. Might not be the best riding, but it will be a new adventure.
So, get out there! Find somewhere new and ride! ;-)
Old 06-02-11, 10:13 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindaosm
You know, I can really relate. I think that's why I've really been trying to find different places to ride. I was getting so tired of the same few spots. Hubby and I are headed out tomorrow down to Deland. Yep, it's a drive but it's something new. Might not be the best riding, but it will be a new adventure.
So, get out there! Find somewhere new and ride! ;-)
Have lots of fun riding.. and take some pics

Well after not riding today my one friend said he was going to do his "3 day" ride to the doctors office in Jacksonville. He its a bit crazy.... He just spent the last 5 days on the St. Johns river & Lake George and a bunch of the connecting waterways. This he did in a boat not much bigger than a row boat... He did have a small outboard motor though. He slept in the boat went through the Rodman locks.... Pulled up on shore in different places to sleep.... Anyway he will take 3 days to ride to the docs office, the 3rd day only riding a few miles. Yep he will sleep on the ground, on a picnic table or something... Last time he took a shower at a construction site... LOL . Asked me if i wanted to do the first leg of the ride (again). Last time we started in the middle of the PLB trail and I rode 20 miles out with him.... and then the 20 back... Sooooo I have that to look forward to. Like you said Linda Something different to keep it interesting/fun....

Ohhh and I do have a plan.... I want to ride from the north side of the Etoniah Creek State forest to the south side on sr100... Just have to con one of the friends into the long trail ride.... 18 miles or so I think... Can't do that kind of ride in the woods alone... Maybe I can bribe one of them... haha
Old 06-05-11, 07:46 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope no ride today... Busy day for a Sunday... Had friends over for a cookout ... Now I really need to ride ....
Old 06-07-11, 04:15 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to the bike shop in Palatka and picked up my road bike rear wheel. I had it re-spoked. After finding out how much the bladed spokes cost I had them replaced with the traditional round ones. Was going to go for a ride had all my gear with me but..... toooooo much smoke in the air. Smoke combined with the heat just wasn't getting it for me today.

Last edited by zzOtherlandzz; 06-08-11 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 09:01 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems no matter what way the wind is blowing smoke is rolling into my area. Fires to the south of me someplace near the Ocala Nat Forest. To the east near Flagler beach and now I heard today that there are some fires up kind of near Keystone Heights..... I just can't handle the high temps and all of the smoke in the area... Just makes me feel bad when I try to ride in it.
Old 06-15-11, 12:58 AM
renzhee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so many people
Old 06-15-11, 11:04 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made plans to go to Fl hospital to get some blood work done today. Got there about 8:30 and they told me that I needed to fast for 10 to 12 hours so I didn't get anything done. I will probably go again next Wed. So no ride today but I will ride tomorrow. Tomorrows goal will be 50 miles. I think I will try to get out about 5:30 and ride solo for an hour or so then meet Jim and Dick at 7:00 AM for a 35 - 40 mile ride. We are not getting much effect from the smoke here in Altamonte thank goodness.
Old 06-20-11, 05:54 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just one of those Monday's when I have more stuff to do..... than time to do it. I think tomorrow..... I may ride up to Golds Head State park from the PLB trail... Give those hills a try ...
Old 06-22-11, 03:45 PM
RonH
Life is good

I usually leave around 10 am for my rides. Had an appt with the sports med doc at 10:30 am. My left knee has been hurting for several weeks. Doesn't interfere with cycling. It feels just like my right knee did 3 years ago. The doc fixed my knee back then and I was out on the road in 3 weeks. I'm hoping this time it will turn out the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.