Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 07:11 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
45 minutes on the trainer at endurance pace yesterday. My few trainer sessions this year have been "When will this torture end?" for the first 15 minutes or so, then I get into the music and the rest of the session goes by quickly, and this one followed that pattern. About an hour on the trainer tomorrow, off Thursday, appointment with the eye doc on Friday and see where it goes from there.

I saw the bone doc this morning. He's happy with the way I've healed and told me I didn't need to see him again. I also spoke with him about the operation. It turns out that I was misinformed about how he did the operation; he didn't cut the hip flexor, but rather separated the IT band and went in that way. The tightness I feel is apparently due to my time on the walker. Stretching should take care of it. I also asked him if I was cleared to run. He said, "Wait, I thought you were a cyclist!" I told him I wanted to run for the load-bearing benefits. He wants me to wait until the three month mark (only a week from now) and start at 100 meters, increasing the distance by 10% with each run based on whether I feel pain from it. He also scheduled me for a bone density scan in about three weeks. I'm really curious about that.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-19-17, 09:23 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Chuck. you healed SO quickly, that is wonderful!!! Great news. Great news!!
Old 09-20-17, 10:08 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
@revchuck Great news but what about the detached retina and eye surgery**********?

My understanding of eye surgery is that any increase in blood pressure is not so good until all is healed. Did my sending healing thoughts work that fast.

If so, I am sending you a bill.

Glad you are back on the bike.
Old 09-20-17, 10:27 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Saturday was an endurance ride. Monday was seated starts and yesterday high speed motor chases.

I continue to be snake bit at SDV and my back wheel hit something on the track near the finish of a chase. The rear of the bike went into oscillation. I just relaxed and rode it out. We checked the track and could not find anything.

The motor operator said maybe something fell off the motor. Fell off the motor, come on, we are not shooting the next Mad Max sequel.

Old 09-20-17, 12:45 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
What Hermes said Chuck about the eye.

Sprints yesterday. 160 RPM max, knocking at my season best peak wattage. "Inconsistent" seems to be my one constant this year (like what I did there?).

Still putting in antibiotic eye drops every 3 hours. Saw the neurosurgeon and am scheduling MRI's on the spiney. Meh.

90 minute Z2/3 ride today. Think I'll try to get out on the TT bike and stretch those zones a bit.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 09-20-17 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 02:46 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

JRA on the TT bike today, "light" as Coach directed. I rode along the coast, it was a beautiful morning! I did do some efforts on the flat sections to stretch out a bit. Anytime I came to a little hill or whatever, my lack of slow twitch legs just went "ugh!" and loaded right up! I used to be able to climb, slowly, now I can't even do that That TT bike sure is smooth, it has a very supple ride. After banging around on the track bike over the last several days, that thing was like a luxury cruiser - very nice!
Old 09-20-17, 03:05 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@revchuck, good luck with the eye! Be careful with it.

@Racer Ex, good luck with the back.

@sarals, sounds sweet.

@Hermes, I too had a bit of a snakebit workout this am... Needed to be up at 4:20 to get out on the bike by 4:45, I like to gulp down some coffee first. At 4:25am, Mr H is shaking me awake, "Hey aren't you on the bike today?" Whoops, I mistakenly set my alarm for 4:30.

I manage to make it out the door still by 4:45 am and three minutes down the road, I ride over something (didn't see it, not sure what, my guess would be something like a piece of angle iron) and get a flat. Stop and check it out, can't find the issue with the tire but there's liquid sealant leaking around one section of the bead-rim interface.

Text Mr. H, he brings me a spare wheel and within 8 mins I'm rolling again. Sounds great but its a problem for me to start my interval workouts any later than 4:45, I get exponentially more traffic starting around 5am.

Traffic messes with my intervals because in our town every light can be tripped by cross traffic. So every car that is out vastly increases my chances of hitting a red light. Fortunately they are very short lights and often I can see them coming and modulate my effort such that the light is green by the time I get there. But it makes it hard to make your interval targets.

Frustrating, I missed on a bunch of numbers today. That's the way the cookie crumbles when its a physiology thing. But when its traffic logistics, that just blows. Or maybe it is physiology a bit too. Can't tell, which is also frustrating....

Got home and cooled down again on the mtb. More front wheel lifts.
Old 09-21-17, 09:18 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

When I was at Hellyer Tuesday, I announced loudly, to no one in particular, that I had gained six pounds since October and was sore ALL THE TIME. Everyone looked up, and nodded knowingly. AB said "Welcome to the track".

Calorie intake does not match calorie load, and my intake hasn't changed since I shifted my training to the shorter, more intense, workouts. Harder work, shorter time, less calories burned, even though it feels like more. I have gained some muscle mass, but probably only about two pounds (it's in my thighs, I can see it). So, it's not a skinsuit - it's a sausage casing.

Last edited by sarals; 09-21-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 09:50 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by sarals
When I was at Hellyer Tuesday, I announced loudly, to no one in particular, that I had gained six pounds since October and was sore ALL THE TIME. Everyone looked up, and nodded knowingly. AB said "Welcome to the track".

Calorie intake does not match calorie load, and my intake hasn't changed since I shifted my training to the shorter, more intense, workouts. Harder work, shorter time, less calories burned, even though it feels like more. I have gained some muscle mass, but probably only about two pounds (it's in my thighs, I can see it). So, it's not a skinsuit - it's a sausage casing.
Must be terrible having to squeeze into those 4 jerseys.
Old 09-21-17, 10:01 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Haha @sarals has a major first world problem, I think!
Old 09-21-17, 10:08 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
<sigh>...the sacrifices one must make....

Old 09-21-17, 10:09 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Haha @sarals has a major first world problem, I think!
Dammit!!!

Old 09-21-17, 05:55 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Woke up to snow on the mountain and 40 degrees outside. Got up to a whopping 44 today. So...dug the trainer out. That was two hours out of my day. Calibrated two PM's. Bluetooth problems with the new phone, new trainer tire on the wheel, tried to get my old computer to run Zwift which meant downloading ANT+ drivers, Zwift, and some other bits only to see "Your graphics drivers are old and will not work with this application". Not updated drivers available. Finally got on the trainer and did my workout, which resulted in finding the shoe that's been causing my foot issue.

Too long a screw. Hot spot right in the soft spot next to the ball of my foot. Shorter screw to try tomorrow.

Then my beer went altitude nuts and spilled over the top.

Nap time I think.
Old 09-21-17, 07:10 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry about the beer foaming over Racer X.

I went to the velodrome today and did a 20' WU that took me to the bottom of Z4 at the end. Some others showed up so I did their WU of about 15' of paceline with one lap pulls. It was 89 degrees today so I was plenty warmed up. Main set of my workout was 2 sets of 4 x hard seated 250m with 500m rolling recovery between the hard efforts. 15' WD of easy riding in a pace line with a couple others with each taking 1/2 lap pulls.
Old 09-21-17, 08:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@Allegheny Jet Man, it is great to have fellow Ohioan back even though North Olmsted did not play Medina.

I was at SD Velodrome today...warmup plus two jumps...then 1x125 meter standing start and 1x333 meter standing/seated/standing roll up to start line. Finished.

Race masters state track championships Saturday and Sunday.

Plus, I was called a boy toy by my wife's team sprint partner right in front of my wife. That is better than a jersey.
Old 09-21-17, 08:26 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Good luck this weekend, @Hermes!

@Racer Ex, technology makes life easier. 😂

Today I was up at 3:45, on the bike at 4am for 25 min of big gear intervals then met a friend for an hour of lively JRA. Then coffee. Good day but I'm tired.

Heading up to Big Bear tomorrow for a couple of days of mountain biking. Love it.
Old 09-22-17, 06:39 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
@Allegheny Jet

Race masters state track championships Saturday and Sunday.

Plus, I was called a boy toy by my wife's team sprint partner right in front of my wife. That is better than a jersey.
Good luck this weekend! Carry that fitness onto WC!

Adding a jersey will make you a mega boy toy. Just sayin...
Old 09-22-17, 11:40 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Good luck this weekend, Boy Toy - I mean @Hermes....
Old 09-22-17, 11:58 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I did the Thursday Night BC Workout with my people (sprinters) at Hellyer last night. Good session! Coach had asked I try 88 inch gearing for the Thursday morning session (which I didn't go to) for some specific efforts, so I decided I'd try it for the 400 meter jumps which were on tap for the sprinters session. BC paired me with two of the guys who were there. We did the efforts from the rail, dropping down into the lane as we came out of four, and then hitting the gas for one lap and little more. I was third wheel, and I stayed as close to the rider I was behind as I could. In the 86 inch gear, I was able to stay close until into turn one, and then the guys just rode away from me (bigger gears, and, well, they're guys). In the 88 inch gear, I was able to accelerate a little faster, stayed on about as long, had slightly higher top speed, made (much) more power, and the cadence was so close as to be the same. And, I felt no different in that gear than I did in the smaller one. Good stuff!
Old 09-22-17, 12:12 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Today was core work, followed with weighted walking lunge sets with MTB riding between sets. Strava shows me riding over the pond which didn't happen.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 09-22-17 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Add image
Old 09-22-17, 02:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Equipment intervals today. Reglued a tubular tire that appeared loose. Then I converted my Zipp 900 rear disc from road to track. I went to pump up the tire and discovered that the stem that extends to the value had broken off.

I thought I would have to replace the tire or a least take it off the rim. I was able to unscrew the valve tube and replace it with another new one while the tire was still glued to the rim.

Bike maintenance is never ending.
Old 09-24-17, 02:05 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Painkiller intervals. I fell off a ladder Friday and shattered my right heel. Short story is it will require surgery after the swelling goes down. World's is off the table. Actually so is walking for a bit.
Old 09-24-17, 02:09 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Dang, that sucks. Heal quickly and well!

From another perspective...maybe you should change your screen name to Racer Klutz?

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-24-17, 05:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@Racer Ex I am really sorry to hear this. I am sending the same healing thoughts that fixed Chuck's optical nerve modified for the heal.
Old 09-24-17, 07:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@Racer Ex, just so frustrated for you. So much work. Wish I could wind the clock back a couple of days. On the bright side: you'll get a bunch of reading done...

Positive thoughts for the surgery & good healing for the heel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.