Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Old 09-05-13, 09:43 AM
niuoka

Bikes: trex 7500, old diamondback, older diamondback old frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes
you know, the small thingy ke bob spikey things the chain goes around inside that back thingy
and yes, I use locktite blue on parts like that
Old 09-05-13, 02:21 PM
stevenlsmith87

Bikes: NONE

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Today I added the Ergon Grip GP2 to my Trek Dual Sport. Love the grip compared to the stock grip. Now I am looking to get some sort of saddle bag, or rack and trunk bag as well as a few other items.
Old 09-08-13, 04:53 AM
MickeyMaguire
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan to love my hybrid by riding it a little later today.
Old 09-09-13, 03:11 AM
p1eman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its taken me a few weeks because I commute on it most days and have two very small children running about but after 6 years of hardly using the bike I won in a competition, I've started commuting 15 miles each way to work and I have done......

-New closer ratio cassette- easier changing down uphill
-new selle x1 seat, less padding but more comfortable, go figure
-new sora crankset with bb up from 48 to 52 teeth, although I think the granny ring is rubbing slightly on the frame it's given me a top speed to keep up on the straights. Cassette was already 11 teeth and I wore it out as it was my 'go to' gear.
-put mudguards back on seeing as its Winter now here in England.
-new brake pads, cartridge ones this time. The old ones dissolved after a couple of nice wet rides.

Need to get a replacement front light after the clip broke on a pothole, also need a new barend after the palm rest bit snapped going over a pothole.
Old 09-09-13, 06:46 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I gave it a good washing and a lube. It's happy, I'm happy and when I'm happy, the wife's happy. It all works out perfectly!
Old 09-09-13, 01:55 PM
supremekizzle

Bikes: 2012 Diamondback Trace Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjusted my rear derailer. Haven't done the front one yet because for the most part I stay on one chainring. The rear derailer was surprisingly easy. It is silent now and only took about 15 minutes to do. Can't believe the bike shop charges $50 to do this.
Old 09-10-13, 01:50 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by supremekizzle
Adjusted my rear derailer. Haven't done the front one yet because for the most part I stay on one chainring. The rear derailer was surprisingly easy. It is silent now and only took about 15 minutes to do. Can't believe the bike shop charges $50 to do this.
I hope you watched them and with the help of our good friends at Park Tool (google them) you'll be able to save your money next time. $50 is rediculous.

I today installed an XTR cassette and Dura Ace chain. The shop charged me nothing to use their tools so I bought the owner and mechanic coffees. It's running, feeling, weighing wonderful.
Old 09-10-13, 09:41 AM
supremekizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I hope you watched them and with the help of our good friends at Park Tool (google them) you'll be able to save your money next time. $50 is rediculous.
What I actually meant is that I did do it myself and can't believe that if I, a first timer with no experience, can do it; than why does the bike shop charge $50?
Old 09-10-13, 09:51 AM
niuoka

Bikes: trex 7500, old diamondback, older diamondback old frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by p1eman
Its taken me a few weeks because I commute on it most days and have two very small children running about but after 6 years of hardly using the bike I won in a competition, I've started commuting 15 miles each way to work and I have done......

-New closer ratio cassette- easier changing down uphill
-new selle x1 seat, less padding but more comfortable, go figure
-new sora crankset with bb up from 48 to 52 teeth, although I think the granny ring is rubbing slightly on the frame it's given me a top speed to keep up on the straights. Cassette was already 11 teeth and I wore it out as it was my 'go to' gear.
-put mudguards back on seeing as its Winter now here in England.
-new brake pads, cartridge ones this time. The old ones dissolved after a couple of nice wet rides.

Need to get a replacement front light after the clip broke on a pothole, also need a new barend after the palm rest bit snapped going over a pothole.
interesting, weeks ago, I had the option to pick up a 52 tooth front chain ring, and went on the forums here and asked about it. I was told that it would not help with speed, so I did not pick it up

so your saying you did notice a speed increase ?
Old 09-10-13, 10:45 AM
p1eman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me first mention that I'm new to this but am familiar with gearing ratios in relation to motorbikes so it's not an alien concept.

Let me also qualify my statement in that I am quite fit, do a lot of exercise including spin class and used to run quite fast. I like pushing the big ring, and my route to work is mostly flat or slightly downhill. I wore out the 11tooth cog of my previous cassette, and only that cog- so my reason for going up on the crank was to prolong my cassette life more than anything. My timing is also based on strava which has innaccuracies, but is generally consistent over a known route.

It's difficult to quantify until I next do late shift for a direct comparison with traffic light phasing and traffic density, but I've gone from 16 mph avg to 17mph, literally overnight with no other changes. That's 1mph avg over 15.3 miles.

If you want to see the data I'm on strava. I list when I make changes, day of the week and shift i'm on so I can compare scientifically ish!! The close ratio rear certainly helps with acceleration btw!!
Old 09-10-13, 04:02 PM
supremekizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did I do for my hybrid today? I crashed it I decided to zig-zag on gravel going 20mph with 700x40c smooth tread tires and ate $hit. My first ever crash on a bike resulted in road rash all over my shoulder and forearm. Had to go to the clinic so they could pick the gravel out of my skin and give me a tetanus shot. Derailer took a hit but didn't get damaged at all. About the saddest thing of this whole crash was that the first thing I did was jump up and make sure my bike was OK. My bike! Never mind I'm standing there bleeding, but I had to make sure my bike was OK. Wtf!?!? Glad I was wearing a helmet though, because my head did make contact with the ground and probably saved my face from getting jacked up.
Old 09-10-13, 04:49 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
What I actually meant is that I did do it myself and can't believe that if I, a first timer with no experience, can do it; than why does the bike shop charge $50?
Sorry I misread your post. In my experience here, it's always free.
Old 09-16-13, 03:06 PM
stevenlsmith87

Bikes: NONE

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Today I swapped out the suspension fork on the DS 8.2 with a CroMoly Rigid fork. I also changed out my tires from 700cx38 to a smoother 700cx32 tires, added a Topeak Wedge, and Leyzene Pressure Drive pump. I am pretty much done swapping things around on the bike now. Might add some lights or a rack and bag, but thats it.

Old 09-16-13, 03:46 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

Today I went on a small ride just to get out. Went faster on the way out and way slower on the way back.
Old 09-21-13, 09:39 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first bike purchase in a long time. Got a pair of Panaracer Pasela 700x32 tires. Went for a short ride after putting them on - at 80psi, on broken pavement, felt much smoother than the stock Nimbus tires. Seem to roll faster too. Will experiment with the pressure a bit, but already feel the difference. Hope I don't get too many flats though!
Old 09-21-13, 09:53 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Most shops will perform this for free w/purchase of a new bike. My primary LBS recommends bringing the bike back after 30 days to give the bike a quick once over and do any minor 'tweaking' or adjusting that needs to be done, but that is the end of the free service (experience has proven that is not always accurate- depends on what needs to be done, who you deal with, and how busy they are). Another shop in town does lifetime free adjustments for the first and verified second owner of bikes bought from them.

I didn't have too much of a learning curve on the derailleur, but try as I might, I still have trouble aligning the brakes
Old 09-21-13, 09:59 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Lubed the chain. I should probably have done it a bit ago... the chain was already pretty dry.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 09-22-13, 03:44 AM
canadiandude

Bikes: BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 Alivio/Deore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did i do? I assembled my bike after taking it out of the shipping box. It's a BMC Alpenchallenge AC01. I love the matte black look of it. (Pics in the Hybrid pics thread soon!). I will be swapping out the pedals (to ?) and the saddle (to a Brooks B17). I still have a few parts that I am unsure of where they are supposed to go, lol but they are metallic red highlight parts meant to replace the stock black parts so it's no big deal if I don't get them on.
Old 09-25-13, 03:26 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Patched a slow leak in my rear tube and re-aligned my front brakes.
Old 10-05-13, 04:51 PM
Knotdodger

Bikes: 1986 Fuji touring series lll ---- Raleigh Venture 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took both hubs apart, Cleaned old grease out of hub. And put new red grease in.
Soaked freewheel in solvent, rinsed after a couple of hours. Re oiled freewheel.
Man was the inside of that freewheel dirty.
Old 10-11-13, 06:59 AM
Oldhead

Bikes: CAAD 8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I went to REI and bought some Catseye front and rear lights. I've seen bikes with these and they are way more visible. Since the light is fading when I've have time to ride I figured it was time to get them
Old 10-11-13, 09:25 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Cleaned the bike, lubed the chain, and installed bar ends.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-11-13, 09:59 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I added an adjustable stem (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C65VVE/..._26725410_item) and raised it to the highest position, about 1.5 inches higher than the stock stem. My back and palms were noticeably less sore and numb (respectively) after my first 10 mile commute. Can't wait to see how they feel after a longer 25 mile recreational ride this weekend.
Old 10-12-13, 07:39 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Bought mine, a 1992 Trek 720, off Craigslist and gave it a new home for its 21st birthday. I waxed it, and rode it up and down the block to make sure the bike shop where the guy had his overhaul done did the job right. They did.
Old 10-12-13, 08:13 PM
Short Circuit

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 3, Older Norco 10 speed road bike, Giant ATX 840 Mountain Bike, West Coast Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's my wife's hybrid, a Specialized Vita, I replaced the Nimbus 700 x 32 tires with Continental Ultra Sport 700 x 28 tires.
Also bought her some stiff soled shoes to use for riding instead of her walking shoes (very flimsy sole).
It made a world of difference for her.

Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.