Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Do You Keep Mind Active?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-30-14, 12:02 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

More and more we elders are hearing about how important it is to keep the mind active as we age. There is even an industry focused on "brain games" and such. I was wondering what others are doing?

I know physically we ride bikes and do other things. But, what about keeping the mind fit? What do you do?
Old 08-30-14, 12:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I enjoy international news programs. It helps when working with a wide range of people to know the current events from a non American news source. The BBC and France 24 are good global news organizations. I'm also learning a new language, although progress is slow on that endeavor.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-30-14, 12:31 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's some evidence, I believe, that staying physically fit and active helps protect against dementia, so cycling isn't a negligible contribution to continuing mental acuity.

I read. I read a lot, history as well as fiction. I have done a few MOOCs, mainly on philosophical themes. MOOCs are a fantastic innovation, they're going to change the face of education, imo. And more trivially, I have always been keen on crossword puzzles. As long as I can complete the crossword in the London Times in under an hour or so, I'll feel the mental processes are still more-or-less intact.

Still can't remember people's names, though. But that has nothing to do with ageing.
Old 08-30-14, 12:32 PM
dual650c

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The possibilities are endless.
- Play "mind games" like Sudoku, Scrabble, chess, etc. either alone or with others. Personally, I like the interaction with others most of the time (but I also really value alone time).
- Engage in "pen pal" type activities online. This can be combined with 2nd language learning practice on forums, web sites and chatrooms. I've become semi-conversational in 3 new languages, only 1 of which I actually knew when I was younger. As said above, international news/publications (especially when written for a non-English speaking audience) provide a different perspective on the world.
- Listen to music. Why does your grandchild like this or that new artist? If you've never heard Dvorak/Rimsky-Korsakov/bagpipe music, give it a listen (do a search on youtube). It may not be for everybody but what is? (I found it interesting to hear familiar pieces played solo on instruments that I'd never have associated with particular pieces.)
- Take up a new hobby. Research it online, at the library, or participate in a group setting.
- Go to a museum - do some research on the exhibits there, the artist/inventor/event. Create a "virtual bike tour" where you use Google maps (or something similar) to see places related to whatever turned you on (ex., plot a bike tour from home to Monticello if you saw an exhibit mentioning Thomas Jefferson)

I find I don't have enough time to do it all - there are too many things I want to do before my last ride.

Last edited by dual650c; 08-30-14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-30-14, 12:43 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
More and more we elders are hearing about how important it is to keep the mind active as we age. There is even an industry focused on "brain games" and such.....
I am not convinced that "video games" by any name are real brain exercises. I like the idea of old fashion learning. Brushing up on old knowledge and learning stuff you've never taken the time to absorb before. The Internet is a great knowledge resource if used that way... instead of just googling a quick for the minute fact.

I've taken up bicycle wrenching as a hobby. I've already purchased my "winter supply" of a couple old road bikes to restore during the winter. I've learned some real wrenching skills that are both satisfying and handy. I have other "tech" hobbies that are always evolving and require regular learning and updating of skills.

I like Barrettscv's ideas of learning a new language! I'd bet the materials could be borrowed from the library too! I've thought about French a bit.... I speak a little cycling French.... mostly learned at the local TREK dealers.
Old 08-30-14, 01:15 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
My job keeps my mind active enough. It's the first and only job I've ever had where I find myself wishing fewer of my brain cells died a premature alcohol-related death.

Old 08-30-14, 02:39 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I believe the challenge of conquering a tricky mtn bike single track, of navigating a road bike around folks on the MUP or cars on the road, learning and doing new resistance exercises (a la TRX) and stretches, challenging the system by writing letters, analyzing legislation and rules and regulations and writing white papers and web pages and organizing folks, even participating on this forum, directing and learning new songs and deciphering melodies and harmony with my gospel singing group - all are more "natural" forms of mind stimulation than playing sudoko, etc.

I sometimes wish I did not have so much stimulation.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-30-14 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-30-14, 02:43 PM
oldroadog

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8 7,Giant ATX760 , Nishiki Prestige Upgrade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I think to much about work. I read, play chess, play music to stay mentally active and turn
Off the occupational problem solving mode.
Old 08-30-14, 03:01 PM
FlatSix911

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Solitaire
Old 08-30-14, 04:21 PM
Ernest_T_Bass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I play chess and the piano, I sing along...but that doesn't count.
Old 08-30-14, 06:15 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 for exercise and fitness helping maintain or improve mental function.

As for brain exercise, I read a lot in addition to a mentally stimulating and challenging job. Activities that promote focus and problem solving, like wheel building and bike mechanics in general, also seem to help. I think it is important to change things up from time to time to force your brain to make new connections.
Old 08-30-14, 07:24 PM
Cognitive

Bikes: Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 54 plus and a practicing software & human factors engineer. My job alone is enough to keep the brain running but in addition I read / listen to books, play video games like a teenager, engage in other brain-related hobbies (photography), and do not watch TV. In my spare time I also started learning another language.
Old 08-30-14, 08:57 PM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Meditation. Calming the mind and letting go of stress helps keep my brain fresh and improves my memory, among other things.
Old 08-30-14, 10:37 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
...I know physically we ride bikes and do other things. But, what about keeping the mind fit? What do you do?
I'm too stupid to have not retired yet. I think I'll live by the alarm clock for about three to three and a half more years. I have a good job. No, wait! I don't have a "job" . . . I get paid for a hobby. I work in the space program controlling and monitoring two earth sensing instruments on two different environmental satellites. If that isn't enough to keep my mind turning, I also teach at the local community college in the evenings.

I'm really looking forward to retirement because there are so many classes I want to take. Stuff like physics, because that explains how 'everything' works. I'd like to take some history classes, and some more languages, specifically Latin. I'm sure there are other subjects that I'd be interesting in learning about. I guess when I move after retirement, I'll have to live in a college town. Also want to resume piano lessons too. I hope before I die that I will be able to play some Gottschalk.
Old 08-31-14, 04:25 AM
MickeyMaguire
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I write books, read a lot, and have a lot of hobbies and income streams. I am also an artist working in pen & ink, watercolor, calligraphy, photography (wrote a book titled "Frame That Shot"). I shoot, among other things, vacation and travel shots, dramatic portraits, landscapes. I am also a computer guy and singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. I own a publishing company that produces two magazines and books. I am a copy-editor as well. Retirement? It's not for me. I'll work until I'm pushing up daisies. I am thinking about moving to Florida and opening a bicycle repair business.
Old 08-31-14, 06:36 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I like Barrettscv's ideas of learning a new language! I'd bet the materials could be borrowed from the library too! I've thought about French a bit.... I speak a little cycling French.... mostly learned at the local TREK dealers.
This app is the best I've found, and it's free: https://www.duolingo.com/

I also watch foreign language films with subtitles, this is very helpful. If studying French, try this series: MAIGRET | MHz Networks: Programming for a Globally Minded Audience

It's like watching PBS Masterpiece Mystery, except in French. Nicolas Le Floch is a period French drama that is action packed and is some of the best intrigue be found: https://www.mhznetworks.org/series/nicolas-le-floch

I enjoy Detective Montablano in Italian, it's superb drama and very authentic: https://www.mhznetworks.org/series/detective-montalbano
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-31-14 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-31-14, 07:47 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
This app is the best I've found, and it's free: https://www.duolingo.com/
Very nice! Now... to decide which language I'd like to learn. French is so cycling-ish (a good thing), I already know a little German (might be nice to improve on that). Spanish would be good (I could tell what people in Walmart are saying).
Old 08-31-14, 07:51 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Just stay active such as biking, and stay engaged in everyday life. If you just set you rust.
Old 08-31-14, 08:08 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Very nice! Now... to decide which language I'd like to learn. French is so cycling-ish (a good thing), I already know a little German (might be nice to improve on that). Spanish would be good (I could tell what people in Walmart are saying).
Spanish is easy. Nice regular grammar, and a huge overlap with English in terms of vocabulary. Fantastica. I spent three months in Spain a couple of years ago and found it surprisingly easy to grasp.

The challenge, for me, was less in making myself understood (easy) but in understanding (hard). I have a poor ear, so even when I understood the vocabulary I frequently had difficulty in deciphering the rapidly-spoken phrases. Stuff I understood perfectly when reading became incomprehensible in conversation. But it got better over time.
Old 08-31-14, 08:42 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
...The challenge, for me, was less in making myself understood (easy) but in understanding (hard). I have a poor ear, so even when I understood the vocabulary I frequently had difficulty in deciphering the rapidly-spoken phrases. Stuff I understood perfectly when reading became incomprehensible in conversation. But it got better over time.
Wow. That's the opposite for me. I can understand a whole lot more than I can communicate. Only time I get lost is if the discussion gets technical, philosophical, or the speaker talks really fast. In normal conversation, I may not get every word, but do understand the gist of the conversation.

Italian is fairly easy also. It is so similar to Spanish. On one trip to Italy, I went into a shop to purchase something or other. The proprietor didn't understand English and I didn't know Italian well enough to communicate my needs. On a whim, I spoke to him in Spanish and he understood perfectly what I wanted. He couldn't talk back to me in Spanish, but understood perfectly.

Now French! I'm having a devil of a time with that one. It's just plain weird. Hard to believe it has the same root as Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. Haven't given up yet. I think learning a foreign language is a lot more difficult for us older folk. Youngsters have a definite advantage over us in this area.
Old 08-31-14, 11:50 AM
jim_de_hunter

Bikes: 19?? Pacific Quasar, 2008 Cannondale Synapse. 2009 Specialized Hard Rock Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started an MS degree in Math 2 years ago. Finish it in May. Then onto two research groups.
Old 08-31-14, 11:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Among other things, I read and post on threads here on BF. The mechanics forum offers plenty of brin teasers, starting with deciphering the qwestion, to figuring out what might be wrong, then "fixing" the problem, all without seeing or touching the bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-31-14, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Playing a Musical Instrument ( & sparring here ) have the online radio going at the same time

Local KMUN - Coast Community Radio KBOO | Community Radio for Portland and beyond & KPFA 94.1 FM Berkeley: Listener Sponsored Free Speech Radio | KPFA 94.1 FM Berkeley: Listener Sponsored Free Speech Radio & BBC - iPlayer Radio ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-31-14 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-31-14, 12:14 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12179 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,103 Posts
Video games can be challenging. Shooters are the most common, and they use parts of the brain.
Strategy games use other parts.

And I challenge, nay dare, anyone saying that video games don't challenge your mind to try Portal.
It's 3-D puzzles will fry your synapses. 10 bucks on Steam.

Speaking of thinking in 3D, I like air combat sims. First time you fly into a big furball it's visually overwhelming.
For about 3 or 4 seconds.
Old 08-31-14, 01:42 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Playing a musical instrument (or in my case - instruments) is the #1 thing for me. One of my goals in life is to learn to play every instrument known to man. In the photo below, all that is missing is a sax (which I can play but don't own (yet)).

Front row: An old marching band mellophone (i.e. like a french horn in the key of F), Ibanez mandolin, my grandmother's antique heirloom violin.
Middle row: Yamaha 12 string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, a recorder in C (behind mandolin), Holton Collegiate trumpet, Bundy clarinet, Conn Director trombone, an old (1950's?) Crown Euphonium (i.e. Baritone), Samick electric bass.
Back row: My new/used Yamaha DGX-505 portable grand, full size, 88-key, electronic keyboard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.