Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

anyone ever actually used a ulock as a weapon?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-10-05, 05:00 AM
2mtr
18 dog baby

Bikes: 2008 crosscheck complete, 1984 Pugeot fixed conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i always hear and read of people talking about how they'd "Smash that bastard with a ulock" or "That's what a good couple pounds of steel is for" or whatever.
Anyone ever actually done this? Like smashed a car window, hit a punk ghetto rat, beat back a dog, or is it all just boasts and dreams?
Old 04-10-05, 07:10 AM
drolldurham
ogre

Bikes: surly steamroller fixie, '90 cannondale SR 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use mine every day, in epic battles against the never-ending onslaught of demons that rise from hades in efforts to deliver my soul into a world of eternal suffering.

but other than that, no, i've never beaten anyone up.
Old 04-10-05, 07:19 AM
karmical
THC Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drolldurham
i use mine every day, in epic battles against the never-ending onslaught of demons that rise from hades in efforts to deliver my soul into a world of eternal suffering.

must clean wall of coffee now...
Old 04-10-05, 07:21 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by karmical

must clean wall of coffee now...
Haha.
Old 04-10-05, 08:37 AM
RobbieIG
Postmodern Beauty King

Bikes: Centurion Fix, Jamis Nova, Jamis Crosscountry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have bledgeoned myself a couple of times when swinging it out of it's holding place...and while practicing my ulock kung fu should I ever need to unleash my fury on someone.
Old 04-10-05, 08:49 AM
kurremkarm
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once had a driver get out of his car and act like he wanted to fight me. I took my 2 pound u-lock and put it in my right hand and waited for him on the sidewalk and he got back in his car and left.

So yeah, sorta. I absolutely would have hit the big 300 pound ****** had he come at me.

However, if i had smiled and waved when he honked instead of flipping him off it wouldn't have come to that.

I think common sense is more useful than a weapon and should be used first-- something im working on.
Old 04-10-05, 08:51 AM
Anthony King

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have dented the door of an eighteen-wheeler who buzzed me (about 6 inches away) while I was going over a bridge. He laid on his horn while he did it, so I was sure it was intentional. I lost it and was able to catch while he was stuck in traffic at a light. We exchanged pleasantries and I found that words alone couldn't express my feelings for him. That's when I unholstered my u-lock. He looked pretty surprised for a second, then pissed. He was stuck and had to turn right, so he couldn't follow me.
Old 04-10-05, 09:03 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
I had someone throw something at out of a car window while riding in the bikelane. I chased them down waving my ulock and threatening to bust out his windows while he was stuck in traffic. I know I scared the crap out of him and his punka$$ friends. They won't be messing with a cyclist for a while. That was a good day.
Old 04-10-05, 09:08 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
About the only person I've ever beaten up with my lock has been myself, and that was when I landed on my Krypto chain after flying through the air in a spectacular t-boning of another cyclist on the Lake Path in Chicago. There have certainly been times when I wish I'd had a u-lock or at least a BB spindle handy, but you can still dent things well enough with your fist if you're pissed enough.

Of course, I did write out the start of a short film in which a cyclist chases down a murderous motorist and beats the sh*t out of him with a lock, but I've neither done that nor made the short, so it doesn't count.

I guess that makes my answer no.
Old 04-10-05, 09:09 AM
kathrot

Bikes: circle a.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i routinely comfort myself at the thought of my u-lock's accessibility should i need it in a fight, and i've learned how to hold it to inflict maximum damage while protecting me the most. but at 5'6" and 125 lbs, i usually choose the 'bike like hell' route.
i had a friend put out somebody's window with his u-lock, and although it sounded pretty tuff, i wondered how that drived would treat the next bicyclist he encountered.
Old 04-10-05, 09:10 AM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch!
Old 04-10-05, 09:10 AM
MKRG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rage against orcs that are currently attempting to overrun the land of Middlewest. OOPS! I meant dorcs.
Old 04-10-05, 09:27 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they don`t seem very well balanced for defensive use -the best place to hold them would probably be at one side of the U near the cross bar

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)
Old 04-10-05, 09:32 AM
kathrot

Bikes: circle a.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by royalflash
they don`t seem very well balanced for defensive use -the best place to hold them would probably be at one side of the U near the cross bar
you should hold it with your fingers curled around the 'bar' end, with the 'u' braced up against your arm (i have the medium sized, not the little one). you can block using the bar along your arm, and punch with your fist around the bar (think a roll of quarters), or stab with the blunted end of the bar.
Old 04-10-05, 09:45 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
I've done more damage with the cleat of my shoe than with a ulock. About 10 years ago I had some jacka$$ hit me and take off. Luckily I was just knocked off my bike. I chased him down and put my foot into the door of him brand new BMW, I tore the ***** out it . He was stuck in traffic at a light and couldn't do a thing about it.
Old 04-10-05, 10:10 AM
slopvehicle
ass hatchet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen a pretty intense confrontation in front of my old house, which was on one of those tricky six-way intersections. After being hit by macho driver dude, him and the biker got in an argument, and soon the cyclist was waving the u-lok like a weapon. Then he picked up his wrecked bike and threw the whole thing onto the hood of the car. They chased each other around the block for a few minutes until the cops showed up ans started writing tickets...
Old 04-10-05, 11:39 AM
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yah in a confrontation it's foolish to be the first to reach for a weapon IMO, or to be the first to resort to violence. If someone gets out of their car to fight and neither party chooses to run instead the cops are just going to call you "mutually combative" and anyone with a weapon will be the worse off. street fights are for movies and people with no self control. but I suppose it happens, I've seen it happen and I even got into it with one of my comrades though only he choose to try swinging that thing around (we were both how you say.....without inhibition.. at the time, really it was quite hilarious)
Old 04-10-05, 11:46 AM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(redacted)

Last edited by brokenrobot; 07-23-05 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-10-05, 12:04 PM
bob454
crazy canuck

Bikes: one single speed road renolds frame old cambio rino and brodie cyclecross brodie xc hardtail mtb norco freeride full susp and azoinc hardtail urban dirtjumper and a bunch of cruziers lo rides and retros allways in flux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
many years ago I passed a truck in traffic and was freaked to see a huge rottie jump out of the truck and chase it was on a climb and no escape possible I still got a bit chewed but the old new york kryptonite put fido down I am 210 pounds mostly beef and bone and may have been able to fend off fido but the lock saved me from a bad mauling you should never use any kind of offensive weapon against anyone if your personal safety is not threatened blow the driver a kiss the gods have allready punished them by putting them in a car
Old 04-10-05, 12:38 PM
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good god man, you need punctuation!
Old 04-10-05, 12:41 PM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah! Just read it in a "Ben Stein" monotonous voice and it becomes very clear.
Old 04-10-05, 12:56 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have hit a dog with it. The thing wouldn't leave me alone and it's owner was nowhere in sight. I tried everything, putting bike between me and the dog, spraying it with water, yelling, thew a shoe at it, everything.

I finally gave up and gave it a whack in the side. I don't think i seriously hurt it as it was able to run away but I still didn't like doing it.
Old 04-10-05, 01:21 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About 12 years ago I was riding my brand new Torelli cyclocross home through a rather sketchy neighborhood. A group of 6 or 7 punk ass teenagers linked arms, blocking the road up ahead. I whipped out my U-lock, held it above my head and rode toward them as fast as I could. They scattered at the last minute and no blood was shed.
Old 04-10-05, 01:34 PM
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A gun/knife is more effective.
Old 04-10-05, 02:42 PM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PWRDbyTRD
A gun/knife is more effective.
more likely to end up locked up though

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.