Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Florida Rain Gear?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Florida Rain Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 09:50 AM
Keithmj
Bus Driver

Bikes: Trek 1.2 Trek 7.2FX Troker single speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florida Rain Gear?

I am planning on commuting this month (May) and needed some advise on rain gear. I needed something for a seven mile commute one way in wet Florida weather. I'd like advise from some of the pros who ride in wet weather here and from others who ride in wet weather. I thought about a rain cape or just a rain jacket and have read about the pros and cons. I didn't want to spend alot of money on these if I can help it. What and where would be a good one stop shop to get rain gear for bicycles? What do you all use to stay dry? I usually just get wet but want to try something different, staying dry. Cheers
Old 05-02-10, 10:00 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I;d venture that anything that keeps the water off you in summer Florida rains is going to be a portable sauna. Instead of being soaked with rain, you'll be soaked with sweat.
Old 05-02-10, 11:41 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just get wet. In Florida it isn't really cold rain and anything that keeps the rain off you will make you sweat. You'll want some decent wicking clothes which will dry quickly.
Old 05-02-10, 12:16 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by daven1986
Just get wet. In Florida it isn't really cold rain and anything that keeps the rain off you will make you sweat. You'll want some decent wicking clothes which will dry quickly.
Plus One.. Who needs rain gear in 90% humidity.. Should you ride nakid you'll still be uncomfortable.. rain gear would only cause the perspiration to collect from underneath . I'd prefer the rain..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-02-10, 12:30 PM
Keithmj
Bus Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Florida it still gets cold. It was in the 30's and 40's a few weeks back. It usually doesn't rain below 50 but at 50 it is cold when the wind blows. Even in the 60's it is still cold for me..If it stays in the 70's then that is nice. I just want to be prepaired. I was wondering what others were doing? Cheers..
Old 05-02-10, 12:40 PM
Noobtastic
Six feet please

Bikes: Specialized rockhopper, Ross gran tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need a rain jacket till winter, Florida rain in this season is too delightful to avoid. The rain might be cold at first but you'll be heating yourself up with exercise so in a few minutes you'll enjoy the cooling effect. I rode during a storm from critical mass at 5pm till family guy at 11pm last friday in baggy shorts and a safety vest. I suggest you wear cycling clothing, since they don't absorb much moisture and you can change clothes after your commute. Take off your shirt if you want; it's Florida, nobody cares. If you don't want to carry street clothing, you can ride in only cycling baggy shorts; then put on a regular t-shirt when you reach your destination, and you'd look like anyone else (only drier). I suggest that you have is a fully waterproof backpack or just a raincover/trash bag, a hi-viz vest or jacket and when the rain is especially heavy you should have a powerful headlight. I once had a silent argument with a driver at a 4 way stop sign during a storm; though he got to the intersection first, he saw my bright light coming and refused to move before I had crossed the stop sign.

If you're concerned about catching a cold, simply wear a long sleeve cycling jersey and wipe yourself down with a small towel when you're out of the rain. There are many threads on bikeforums archives that suggest a jacket that would be great for winter rides- wind, snow, rain. But right now save your money, good bike jackets generally aren't cheap.

Last edited by Noobtastic; 05-02-10 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added more
Old 05-02-10, 02:56 PM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are missing a point. Embrace the rain - it is just water. Commute in cycling clothes and it is no biggie. You have a bigger fish to fry - what to do with the drivetrain all fouled up by mud...

Ride Safe

SF
Old 05-02-10, 11:29 PM
alr

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic 12 Mixte, Raleigh DL-1 lady

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I haven't tried this, although I am thinking of making one for myself some day... how 'bout a cycling rain cape? I think the idea is, is that there are loops that attach to your hands, so as you hold the handlebars, your lower half is covered from above but open beneath (therefore free to get air). I goes without saying that you will want full coverage fenders, too. So far, I am getting by with full coverage fenders, a light rain jacket and quick drying lower clothes. Seattle rain is not the monsoon that Florida rain can be, though.

Here are some examples of cycling rain capes (the first 2 are spendy carradice, and the last one, a cheaper campmor):

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pro-route-rain..jpg (13.9 KB, 8 views)
duxback-rain..jpg (17.8 KB, 6 views)
50258..jpg (16.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-02-10, 11:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by alr
I haven't tried this, although I am thinking of making one for myself some day... how 'bout a cycling rain cape? I think the idea is, is that there are loops that attach to your hands, so as you hold the handlebars, your lower half is covered from above but open beneath (therefore free to get air). I goes without saying that you will want full coverage fenders, too. So far, I am getting by with full coverage fenders, a light rain jacket and quick drying lower clothes. Seattle rain is not the monsoon that Florida rain can be, though.

Here are some examples of cycling rain capes (the first 2 are spendy carradice, and the last one, a cheaper campmor):

My rain cape also has a chest strap to keep it from flying up in the back. Combined with full fenders w/mudguard it does pretty well. A strong crosswind can still get you wet below the waist, and you are pretty vulnerable to horizontally flying water (e.g. from cars).
Old 05-03-10, 04:28 AM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

(It's not quite as warm nor humid in London)

Cycling should not always require special clothes or the requirements of toilette when you arrive at your destination. If it's going to be a serious form of transport, you should be able to use it even when it might rain, without worrying about arriving dripping wet.

I use a raincape, after getting caught in the rain and arriving home (in a suit) dripping wet. At the time I was mix-mode commuting and only cycling about 4 miles a day, so the overheads of carrying clothes and changing would have pretty well made my trip more complicated and slower than bus or walking.

A local shop sells capes, so after test rides I got this one. (Even on a sunny August day I felt lost in the other option).

Highly recommended. I arrive at work with the end of my trousers damp and my face, but generally ready to go.

Will it work in Florida? Depends on the humidity, and your body's response to it. It's totally ventilated underneath, so it would be a better option than trousers. A jacket alone would cause more sweat, and wouldn't keep your legs dry.

(Now I've started cycling 20km to work, I'm changing when I get there, but the cape still make me more confident about heading out when it looks like rain.)

Old 05-03-10, 06:05 AM
WilliamH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
every thought of buying a poncho?
Old 05-03-10, 06:56 AM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a rainjacket and pants from Aerotech that roll up and store in bags, and I usually carry a cheap emergency poncho when I don't have the raingear packed. I'm a rain weenie though, and don't ride much if there's a threat of rain.
Old 05-03-10, 07:38 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You are searching for the Holy Grail -- rain gear that will keep you reasonably dry in warm weather without drenching you in sweat. Let me know when you find it. I haven't had any luck.
Old 05-03-10, 08:03 AM
turtle jesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its nice to see that someone also has the same problem, winds been killing me and now its starting to rain X(
Old 05-03-10, 08:11 AM
BILLB58

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what works for me for the last 4 years.....200 +/- commutes each year....11.3 miles each way.
For May thru Nov., I just get wet. I wear cycling specific clothes....if it rains on my way in, then they are dry by the time I head home...
I wear Lake sandals.....if it rains, I don't have to dry shoes out....
On my helmet, I wear a visor...keeps the light rain from hitting my eyes....I always wear a sweatband under my helmet...keeps the rain from washing sweat down into my eyes....On heavy rain days, I wear a cheap clear plastic set of safety glasses.....keeps the rain from hitting my eyes....

and most important of all, I have my headlight and tailights on....and I go slow....

I ignore T-storms.....I just keep going...

When I get home in the evening, I take the hose and do a quick wash/spray of the bike......following morning I usually add a bit of lube to the chain before I leave....and then do a full clean-up of the chain and bike on the weekend.....if no rain, then I usually can go 2 -3 weeks before a full clean-up....
Old 05-03-10, 08:17 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Should it be a hot and humid rain.. / It's only water, consider it sort of a bath rinsing away the sweat..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-03-10, 07:52 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by jefmcg
+1

(It's not quite as warm nor humid in London)

Cycling should not always require special clothes or the requirements of toilette when you arrive at your destination. If it's going to be a serious form of transport, you should be able to use it even when it might rain, without worrying about arriving dripping wet.

I use a raincape, after getting caught in the rain and arriving home (in a suit) dripping wet. At the time I was mix-mode commuting and only cycling about 4 miles a day, so the overheads of carrying clothes and changing would have pretty well made my trip more complicated and slower than bus or walking.

A local shop sells capes, so after test rides I got this one. (Even on a sunny August day I felt lost in the other option).

Highly recommended. I arrive at work with the end of my trousers damp and my face, but generally ready to go.

Will it work in Florida? Depends on the humidity, and your body's response to it. It's totally ventilated underneath, so it would be a better option than trousers. A jacket alone would cause more sweat, and wouldn't keep your legs dry.

(Now I've started cycling 20km to work, I'm changing when I get there, but the cape still make me more confident about heading out when it looks like rain.)

Gah! One size fits all?!? My current cape makes the same claim, but at 6'2" I'm not the one size they all fit. /rant /threadjack
Old 05-05-10, 07:14 AM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain cape. I overheated in a =snow storm= with a "breatheable" rainsuit, and still got wet. The rain cape was too chilly by itself, even in a warm April rain... I found myself wishing for a light jacket. You may want to team it with some "rain legs" depending on your size and bike. I have a pedal-forward bike and I'm roughly the same size as an over/under washer/dryer set, so my knees get wet in torrential downpours (but not my lower legs, weird)... a more traditional riding position and a less substantial figure and it's just about a perfect solution.

It does catch headwinds like nobody's business, tho.
Old 05-05-10, 07:22 AM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Gah! One size fits all?!? My current cape makes the same claim, but at 6'2" I'm not the one size they all fit. /rant /threadjack
Sorry to hear that. If you want me to take some measurements to see if it would work for you, I'd be happy to. The water pools in my "lap", so it would definitely for someone taller
Old 05-05-10, 09:12 AM
geetlord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never found much that helped with the torrential downpours that you get in sumer storms in florida, normal rain jackets and pants make you sweat and don't keep out all of the rain. Good glasses are helpful to keep some rain out of your eyes, but thats the most can really recommend.
Old 05-05-10, 09:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Keithmj
I'd like advise from some of the pros who ride in wet weather here and from others who ride in wet weather.
It's been known to rain once or twice in Seattle. Like yesterday, while I was out riding. And today. And tomorrow, they tell us. Anyway, it's good for the gardens...

I thought about a rain cape
Up, up, and away!

I really like the Arc'teryx Accelero. It blocks about 2/3 of the wind, but lets some through, like air conditioning. My commute in to work is five miles, and almost entirely up hill. Makes for a fun, quick ride home, but it's less fun going in. I wear a jacket because it gets cold, and windy. While the thing isn't waterproof, technically, I've had it out for a few hours and stayed bone dry underneath, thanks to the DWR coating. Rain forms drops, like mercury; the heavy ones roll down, and the lighter ones just stay there until they get shaken away.

But it's not cheap. And it doesn't cover your legs.

Another option, and maybe a better one given the humidity ( I know it gets cold in Florida, and that farmers down there had to cloister their fields to keep tomatoes from freezing ) down there, is to get a wool base layer. That's long undies, and a long-sleeve tee shirt. You'd wear pants over them, and on a cold day a shirt or jacket, but on a warmer day, you can wear the shirt as an outer layer. Wool feels dry when it's wet, continues to insulate ( unlike cotton! ), pulls sweat away from you like a dry sponge, and never, ever smells like body odor. Merino is incredibly soft, and this time of year there are a lot of sales.
Old 05-06-10, 12:40 AM
Mendel

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007); Fuji Finest (2002); Trek 1100 (1994); Giant Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually commute in Shimano sandals. When it starts to rain I take off my socks so they don't get soaked. Everything else can get wet and dry fast enough. I used to commute in MTB shoes I could never dry them out fast enough.
Old 05-06-10, 08:15 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
In Florida it still gets cold. It was in the 30's and 40's a few weeks back. It usually doesn't rain below 50 but at 50 it is cold when the wind blows. Even in the 60's it is still cold for me..If it stays in the 70's then that is nice. I just want to be prepaired. I was wondering what others were doing? Cheers..
We'd be lucky to see 70's temps again before November. As for me, I wear a very lightweight backpacking jacket until I begin stewing, then I take it off and get wet. I think a rain cape will be on my purchase list this spring.
Old 05-06-10, 09:10 AM
Keithmj
Bus Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mendel
I usually commute in Shimano sandals. When it starts to rain I take off my socks so they don't get soaked. Everything else can get wet and dry fast enough. I used to commute in MTB shoes I could never dry them out fast enough.
I was thinking about using these sandals since I usually wear them anyway..Have you tried using Goretex socks? Does anyone recommend a certain kind? I have been reading about these and they are suppose to let things out but also keeps things out..I also ordered a pair of RainMates, https://www.rainmates.us/home.jsp that others have spoken of and I'll give them a try. I also have a Wind Vest from 3 Feet Please https://www.shop.3feetplease.com/prod...7&categoryId=5 to keep the wind from coming through..If it is warm I don't mind getting wet but when it is cold I want to stay dry..I also have some Tee Shirts that wisk perspiration away..Cheers.
Old 05-06-10, 11:17 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to use a rain cape when I was in Louisiana, it catches wind like nobodies business. The one I had, had little thumb loops in the front. You put your thumbs in them, hook the hoods, and they kept the front of the cape from flapping. I would think that a cape coupled with rainmates would be a workable solution for that climate.

In Maine, I switched over to the J&G breathable rain jacket, not quite as much ventilation as with the cape. I am a big fan of Rainmates. I have some full coverage rain pants for very heavy rain/cold temps. 95% of the time the Rainmates are all I really want or need.

I also have some waterproof/breathable gloves. I hate cold fingers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.