Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chrome Plated Watisitti???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 07:59 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 940 Posts

This frame set if likely a rare Watisitti(pronounced what-is-it-e), however, an expert opinion would help make clear the frames pedigree. Does anyone have an idea as to what this frame set might be? It intended purpose or design intent. Perhaps even make and model. Disregard the improper rear wheel and focus on the frame.

The frame set is all chrome plated, lugless with forged drops, has a nice ring to it. I could take some more pictures, tomorrow when I go to complete the sorting of the three hundred bicycles that landed in Thunder Bay recently.

StolenBikes_Chro .jpg
Old 04-18-10, 09:02 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
When I saw your title I thought it was a joke: Chrome Plated What-is-it?, like you had an odd looking chrome accessory that you couldn't identify...

Sorry I don't have help for frame.
Old 04-18-10, 09:20 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 386 Posts
These were frames purchased by the CBN (Community Bicycle Network) that were part of their efforts to have communal bikes for Toronto riders. A person would buy a pass-key and it would allow them access to bikes provided by CBN in various locations around Toronto. I will be by the CBN today or tomorrow so I can ask exactly what type of frame it is and who made it...
Old 04-18-10, 09:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 940 Posts
These were frames purchased by the CBN (Community Bicycle Network) that were part of their efforts to have communal bikes for Toronto riders.
Very interesting and I never would have come close to guessing the heritage and intent. I would, indeed, like to know a bit more. Thanks.
Old 04-19-10, 03:58 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
When I saw your title I thought it was a joke: Chrome Plated What-is-it?, like you had an odd looking chrome accessory that you couldn't identify...

Sorry I don't have help for frame.
I thought the same thing! I thought it was a bit of word play with an odd name. pretty cool design sort of a universal frame. not a diamond but not a stepthrough unisex/unisize

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-19-10, 04:27 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 644 Posts
Looks like an abomination against nature.

yeah - I'm actually mostly serious there.
Old 04-19-10, 04:28 PM
svt4cam
On a mission from God

Bikes: 6? Favorit (under construction), 82 Bianchi Nuovo Racer, 76 Alan, 8? Raleigh Fixie, 75 Atala, 94 Cannondale 2.8, 75 Paramount P13, 94 Cannondale RT1000 tandem, 76 Masi Gran Criterium, 81 Motobecane Grand Touring, 77 Mondia Super, 12 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost looks like a weird time trial funny bike has a derailuer hanger so I would assume it was a tri bike or time trial bike in a prior life.
Old 04-19-10, 10:42 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Looks like an abomination against nature.

yeah - I'm actually mostly serious there.
You definitely have a valid point. Where the top tube tees into the seat tube is an inherent weak point, and would be prone to buckle in the event of a heavy impact; this weakness is shared with the traditional step through "ladies" bike frame design. The inherent weakness could e counteracted with judicious reinforcement; which would obviously add unnecessary weight vs a classic "diamond" frame design.
Old 04-19-10, 10:47 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by svt4cam
Almost looks like a weird time trial funny bike has a derailleur hanger so I would assume it was a tri bike or time trial bike in a prior life.
My thoughts exactly and I am sure you are right... they just built it with a lower horizontal top tube instead of a reverse sloping TT. Man we have learned a lot about aerodynamics since then haven't we!
Old 04-19-10, 11:23 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
My thoughts exactly and I am sure you are right... they just built it with a lower horizontal top tube instead of a reverse sloping TT. Man we have learned a lot about aerodynamics since then haven't we!
Yeah, now they just use ridiculously high seat posts and equally ridiculously low handlebars.
-Gene-
Old 04-20-10, 12:09 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Amani576
Yeah, now they just use ridiculously high seat posts and equally ridiculously low handlebars.
-Gene-
actually we have learned that riding the largest frame possible with your reach requirements is the most aerodynamic. Professional cyclists are flexible, they are professionals.
Old 04-20-10, 12:56 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 386 Posts
I dropped by the CBN yesterday and no one could remember any specific details about these frames however, the woman who has been running the show there for a good number of years was not there so, when I see her next, I will pick her brain and see what she remembers.