Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much did you pay for your road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How much did you pay for your road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 01:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7082 Post(s)
Liked 11,180 Times in 4,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The value of anything - new or used - is driven by the market. A wheelset that sells for $2000 new, but $500 used doesn't mean the new one is overpriced. The lower price of the used set reflects people's concern about the condition, the lack of warranty coverage, and other unknowns that make the purchase a gamble.
This OP is playing out a classic bf theme: I can't afford nice stuff, so I'm gonna tell others that they are fools for buying it.
Old 05-02-24, 01:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked 5,669 Times in 2,859 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Does anyone else smell a sock?
You might be right. There certainly is a familiarity to the odor.
I'm trying to decide which is preferable. We're used to socks having their fun until the IP police catch up with them. On the other hand, it's disturbing to think that there are actually people with such a need to display their ignorance that they will subject themselves to the humiliation OP has suffered here.
Old 05-02-24, 01:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3997 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm trying to decide which is preferable. We're used to socks having their fun until the IP police catch up with them. On the other hand, it's disturbing to think that there are actually people with such a need to display their ignorance that they will subject themselves to the humiliation OP has suffered here.
One of the upsides of the Dunning-Kruger effect is that the afflicted person doesn’t understand they’re being humiliated.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-02-24, 02:00 PM
2muchroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
The value of anything - new or used - is driven by the market. A wheelset that sells for $2000 new, but $500 used doesn't mean the new one is overpriced. The lower price of the used set reflects people's concern about the condition, the lack of warranty coverage, and other unknowns that make the purchase a gamble.
I agree, the value is determined by combining all of those factors. Condition, mileage, price, warranty etc.
Personally, the only thing I'd consider buying new for myself is a carbon frame and wheels, because it really can be a gamble. But from what I've seen so far, most of the sellers make very reasonable offers while being transparent and professional. They clearly marked every scratch, blemish or irregularity.
Had I seen your RLT9RDO I would've probably gone for it in white. Used it might be close to what I paid for the ALR 5.
Do you ride that bike still? I'd love to see a picture if you have one handy.
Old 05-02-24, 02:00 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3256 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,529 Posts
It was definitely more than that doggie in the window.
Old 05-02-24, 02:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5041 Post(s)
Liked 8,280 Times in 3,911 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
I agree, the value is determined by combining all of those factors. Condition, mileage, price, warranty etc.
Personally, the only thing I'd consider buying new for myself is a carbon frame and wheels, because it really can be a gamble. But from what I've seen so far, most of the sellers make very reasonable offers while being transparent and professional. They clearly marked every scratch, blemish or irregularity.
Had I seen your RLT9RDO I would've probably gone for it in white. Used it might be close to what I paid for the ALR 5.
Do you ride that bike still? I'd love to see a picture if you have one handy.
The RLT9RDO "white" isn't white. It's a weird light green-ish color.

From Sunday morning before the start of a gravel race...
Old 05-02-24, 02:14 PM
2muchroad

Yeah that looks extremely nice. The wheels are sick lmao. I was afraid about color schemes not matching on mine, but with CF wheels it seems that pretty much anything will work.

I meant this one here, isn't that it?
Old 05-02-24, 03:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Yeah that looks extremely nice. The wheels are sick lmao. I was afraid about color schemes not matching on mine, but with CF wheels it seems that pretty much anything will work.

I meant this one here, isn't that it?
It's not that color in real life. This is more accurate...
Old 05-02-24, 03:40 PM
2muchroad

Yeah ok that does look green-ish. I don't like it actually. Weird that there would be such a difference compared to the website. They call it "Avalanche Grey / Slate" on there.

After I sell my current project, I'll be looking for a frame like this. Carbon, disc, <1.7kg & a light color scheme with branding.
Old 05-02-24, 08:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Whoolio
32 lb 1982 steel mixtee frame with equally old metal rim brake wheels, and I am the happiest I have ever been in my life. you don't need to have the best possible components to be happy, and besides, it has held up better than the skeletal system that I was born with, which is pretty sturdy imo.
Its like anything, you put your money and energy where your desires are. I love bike riding and feel the need to always have nicer parts and upgrades to make it work better. I've golfed a few times, its fun, always had to borrow clubs and wouldn't feel like I was missing anything if I ended up with a 30yo set from dicks bought at a local garage sale. For me they'd be good enough and why I would need better, and how they would help me, some nut with an obsession over golf could tell me, and even tell me why I needed to upgrade to a 10,000.00 set. I'd still be happy with the garage sale special. To each their own interest.

That's funny. I can totally relate with "bikes for the whole family".
I remember my dad taking us to Walmart for our very first bikes and we loved it. Nowadays, your kids are telling you about which freehubs to get for their light gravel bike.
When this is your 13yo kid, and she beats half the grown women she races against, then you listen about the parts she needs and spend the cash for something better. In her case a 1600.00 felt TK2 with an 800.00 wheel upgrade. If she podiums at nationals this year the felt gets replaced with a 1600.00 Dolan frameset and the felt waits till younger siblings grow into it. Also built her a new road/cross bike this year which she'll use to defend her state champion title in criterium, hoping to hold it for the 3rd year in a row.

I'm talking to everyone, not just this crowd.
Explain again, for those not in the know, why comparing used to new prices doesn't make sense when determining value?
The guy says he rode less than 1000km on those wheels, so they are practically new. It's a fun fact that you could get the wheels of a 10K bike for 500 bucks, I'm sure not everyone instinctively knows that.
Although I wouldn't consider 1000km old, I also wouldn't consider them new by any stretch. You also have no idea how much he's actually ridden them, have they been crashed? Could there be hidden damage? Does he actually ride with thought on where he's going and the terrain or has he plowed them through rough pavement with no concerns for what damage could be caused? Did he make it all up and they're stolen? Wheels, like forks, are one of those items I'm not always trusting of buying used since too much can go way too wrong way too quickly if they've been abused or mistreated. I bought a couple years old used miata with an msrp of 29k for 18k with 32k miles on the odo, does that mean miatas are only worth 18k? Like any used item, there is depreciation, and part of that is the serious hope that you're not buying a lemon and that you will get your money's worth before the used item hits its end of use life cycle.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-02-24, 08:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2703 Post(s)
Liked 3,272 Times in 1,714 Posts
Congrats on your daughters results and GL to her in future races Russ Roth
Old 05-02-24, 10:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
When this is your 13yo kid, and she beats half the grown women she races against, then you listen about the parts she needs and spend the cash for something better. In her case a 1600.00 felt TK2 with an 800.00 wheel upgrade. If she podiums at nationals this year the felt gets replaced with a 1600.00 Dolan frameset and the felt waits till younger siblings grow into it. Also built her a new road/cross bike this year which she'll use to defend her state champion title in criterium, hoping to hold it for the 3rd year in a row.
I get it 100%. I told my kids that I will support their sports or hobbies equal to the level of effort they put into it. My youngest was competing with and against the best in the country (for their age) by the age of 12, and I was happy to provide the best gear available.

I hope your kid continues to thrive and enjoy cycling. I wish her continued success.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-03-24 at 09:21 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-02-24, 10:34 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 314 Posts
The wheelset is the same Cosmic Carbon Racing Series and the disc model is being sold for 500€ used. You think the disc brake version isn't more expensive than the rim one?
That is a completely obsolete wheel set. Look at the shape of the rim. More of a "V" shape, while the high quality newer rims are more of a "U" shape. Makes a big difference in terms of stability in cross winds.

Also, from what I saw on line, that rim is a tubular tire rim. While some people absolutely adore their tubular tires and wheels, they are not the current state of the art (sorry Dave M). And the used ones you found were for sale in Germany. Shipping to the US?

Finally, yes, the marginal gain per dollar spent does decrease. But for me, the marginal gain of a fairly expensive bicycle was worth it because it allowed me to ride with the same group I have ridden with for the past 8 years after a major non-bicycle related injury.
Old 05-03-24, 04:18 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 39 Posts
Cheapest was 40 bucks with maybe 30-40 in gas.
I enjoy riding that bike almost as much as my more expensive ones.
Most expensive was 1k usd back in 2020/2021
both used
Old 05-03-24, 06:10 AM
2muchroad

Sure, I can appreciate that, but I also think that's not quite fair because of course we'll do anything for our children. Your daughter is awesome btw, she reminds me of my cousin who competes in jiujitsu with a similar drive and ability to take out adults lol.
My uncle taught me how to repair and build bikes around that age. Kids pick up on the enthusiasm of their parents and try to mimic it, that's the unwritten rule.

Although I wouldn't consider 1000km old, I also wouldn't consider them new by any stretch. You also have no idea how much he's actually ridden them, have they been crashed? Could there be hidden damage? Does he actually ride with thought on where he's going and the terrain or has he plowed them through rough pavement with no concerns for what damage could be caused? Did he make it all up and they're stolen?
True, there is always a risk. Then again, professional and honest sellers can be identified by their feedback record and sales history. Those who are making a living on commercially selling this stuff are usually trustworthy.

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
That is a completely obsolete wheel set. Look at the shape of the rim. More of a "V" shape, while the high quality newer rims are more of a "U" shape. Makes a big difference in terms of stability in cross winds.
What are you riding right now?
Old 05-03-24, 06:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked 5,669 Times in 2,859 Posts
What an odd snark from someone who does not ride at all.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-03-24 at 06:34 AM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-03-24, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18504 Post(s)
Liked 15,818 Times in 7,428 Posts

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.
Old 05-03-24, 08:15 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 305 Posts
I really went all out on the last one. I have almost $400 in it ! That includes the gas used to get it. And I'm considering spending even more on one this weekend !
Old 05-03-24, 08:31 AM
2muchroad

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.
I just bought an ALR 5 used. It's stripped down atm, I'm replacing the crank, wheels and stem.
Old 05-03-24, 09:24 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I just bought an ALR 5 used. It's stripped down atm, I'm replacing the crank, wheels and stem.
Which ALR 5?
Old 05-03-24, 09:29 AM
2muchroad

2018 model with rim brakes for 600. I was initially just looking for the frame, but since the deal was good I took the whole thing.
Old 05-03-24, 09:39 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

2018 model with rim brakes for 600. I was initially just looking for the frame, but since the deal was good I took the whole thing.
Trek makes 2 different models with the "ALR 5" designation - the Emonda (road bike) and Checkpoint (gravel bike). Since you have rim brakes, I assume that's the Emonda.
Old 05-03-24, 09:47 AM
2muchroad

Yeah it's the Emonda ALR 5.

I'm currently negotiating for an SL5 frame. The ALR 5 will get sold once I've finished switching those parts.
Old 05-03-24, 10:12 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Why on Earth would anyone care what anyone else paid for a bike -- or for any other object?
Or what they paid for a jersey!!
Old 05-03-24, 10:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7082 Post(s)
Liked 11,180 Times in 4,775 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Or what they paid for a jersey!!
You really are not good at this comprehension thing.

No one, including me, cares how much you spend on a jersey. The disagreement is over whether your $20 Amazon jersey (or $50 Primal Wear jersey) is as good as something from Assos, or Rapha, or… Etc.

Two very different things. Can you understand that now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.