Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Affordable and scalable solution to bar motor(cycles|scooters)?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 02-29-16, 07:38 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello

Motorcycles and motor scooters are a major PITA where I live.

It gets to the point where authorities deploy this type of infrastructure to prevent them from riding in pedestrian areas (where bicycles are allowed):

This type of equipement has numerous issues:
  • Cyclists must stop, and lose all their speed, a.k.a. kinetic energy; NOK for commuters
  • Cyclists riding either cargo bikes or pulling a trailer can't go through
  • Parents carrying a wide/long child stroller can't go through either
  • People on wheelchairs have a hard time going through

Is there an affordable and scalable solution? Hiring millions of cops just to stand there 24/7 isn't an option.

Thank you.
Attached Images
Old 02-29-16, 09:16 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's no way that scooters on the sidewalk can be legal in Paris. Very unsafe.

I don't know how to go about doing this, but I would prefer to have a police stationed in the area for a while, handing out expensive tickets to these scooter riders. It will get them off the sidewalks and generate revenue for the city. And it won't have a negative impact on the regular sidewalk users.
Old 03-10-16, 03:57 PM
Winfried

$€24,000/year (sales tax excluded) just for that single camera that can tell if a car did or didn't stop at a STOP sign:

Mise En Service Du Premier Radar De Franchissement De STOP à Yerres? | Valdyerres.com

Is there really no cheaper, open-source solution?
Old 03-10-16, 04:08 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Netherlands uses rattle bumps and chicanes to slow people down. Similar to above they impact bicycle riders as well though not nearly as badly. Fortunately they are rarely needed and are indeed quite rare.

I'd think enforcement with expensive tickets the only viable option. Need to make sure a clear line is drawn on what is and isn't allowed. Bicycles allowed. All e-bikes allowed? Only pedelecs under 150 watts and no throttle allowed?
Old 03-10-16, 04:50 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
This is probably the best cost-effective solution.
A Two-wide stroller should be able to get through there with no problem.
If cyclists have to slow down, they were going too fast for a pedestrian path to begin with.
Cyclists with panniers can get through. Cyclists with trailers may have to get off and walk it through the barricade, just to be safe.
This kind of barricade is meant as a prompt to slow anyone who isn't walking, down. It keeps out all forms of motorized traffic. I am speaking from experience with the East Coast Greenway.
Old 03-10-16, 05:41 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
This kind of barricade is meant as a prompt to slow anyone who isn't walking, down. It keeps out all forms of vehicle traffic. I am speaking from experience with the East Coast Greenway.
Fify. I'm not sure why the o.p. thinks that the chicanes are intended only for motorcycles and scooters. They are for anything that isn't a pedestrian. So... if it slows a cyclist down... erm... that was the intention! What, only motorcycles go 20mph on the MUP? A cyclist on a sidewalk or MUP should be moving at or below the speed of any pedestrians that are in front. Better yet, they should be in the street. I doubt there are ANY motorcyclists, and few scooterists that actually try to go any real distance on a sidewalk. The freeway is another matter. What makes scooterists think that it is a good idea to be on OR 26? The structures are there to control cyclists.
Old 03-11-16, 01:13 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Fify. I'm not sure why the o.p. thinks that the chicanes are intended only for motorcycles and scooters. They are for anything that isn't a pedestrian. So... if it slows a cyclist down... erm... that was the intention! What, only motorcycles go 20mph on the MUP? A cyclist on a sidewalk or MUP should be moving at or below the speed of any pedestrians that are in front. Better yet, they should be in the street. I doubt there are ANY motorcyclists, and few scooterists that actually try to go any real distance on a sidewalk. The freeway is another matter. What makes scooterists think that it is a good idea to be on OR 26? The structures are there to control cyclists.
A really good cyclist could bunny hop over that low obstacle.

GH
Old 03-11-16, 03:13 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
$€24,000/year (sales tax excluded) just for that single camera that can tell if a car did or didn't stop at a STOP sign:
Sadly, in the states, those cameras are revenue generators. The vendor gets a portion of the revenue generated. When automatic cameras were banned in my state, several cities bought handheld ones and sent cops out to to use them. If you figure a $200 - 500 fine, and $100 in court costs the breakeven point is pretty low.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 03-11-16, 03:42 PM
Winfried

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm not sure why the o.p. thinks that the chicanes are intended only for motorcycles and scooters. They are for anything that isn't a pedestrian.
No, they're meant specifically to stop motor (scooters|cycles) and quads. I know, I live here. They're everywhere, and are a major PITA.

But the collateral damage is that it makes cycling needlessly difficult (have to stop, bow, pass through, and resume), and near impossible if you have a cargo bike or a trailer with kids.

Hence my question about cheap solutions to let peds/cyclists through but keep motorized traffic away.
Old 03-11-16, 09:20 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
That stinks, it's certainly not even remotely an issue in my area, I've only seen it a few times in several decades.

The only realistic and non invasive solution seems to be impounding the vehicle, with significant fines, bureaucratic hurdles, and criminal charges for those who attempt to evade authorities.