Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which of these "endurance" bikes would you buy based on my profile and why?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 01:28 PM
jimicoltrane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I've posted a few times over the last couple of weeks about getting a new bike. I'm 80% there and, as of this moment, have it down to three bikes. I'm an intermediate rider in a normal group, a novice among you all I'm sure. 57 years old. Ride 95% on the road in hilly terrain. Most of my rides are 30+ miles and 75 miles is not unusual. I'm about to start training for two long three day charity rides in the fall. This bike will likely be my last unless I wreck it or hit the lottery. I've decided on disc brakes and an "endurance" set up. Please don't consider cost as in the end each of the three will be within $200 of the others. I know that answer is "they're all good." but wondering whether among you regulars there's a reason to go one way or the other.

There is no opportunity for me to test these bikes. #1 and #2 would come from a reputable seller and would be shipped to me.

1. New 2015 Colnago CX Zero. I'd fit the bike with 700x28 tires. Obvious plus: It's a Colnago. Obvious downside: Mechanical brakes.
Colnago CX Zero - Ultegra Road Bike 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles

2. New Wilier GTR Team Disc. No real obvious plus or downside that I know. Very few reviews of the bike in the internet world makes me a little cautious.
GTR Team Disc | Wilier Triestina S.p.a

3. Used 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc Di2. Obvious plus is the Di2 shifting. Downside is the bike is used and will be shipped by a private seller cross country. It is not the linked bike (which looks like a great deal but is the wrong size )

Thanks.
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Di2, Disc - Trek Bicycle Superstore
Old 03-18-16, 01:46 PM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
My heart says Colnago, but as someone who has used both hydraulic and mechanical disk brakes on mountain bikes, I would pass on mechanical disks.

Of the 2 left I would prefer the Canondale for Di2 and hydraulic disk, so it would come down to if I could trust the seller. It would have to be through something like eBay where I could view the seller's history.
Old 03-18-16, 01:49 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jimicoltrane
I've posted a few times over the last couple of weeks about getting a new bike. I'm 80% there and, as of this moment, have it down to three bikes. I'm an intermediate rider in a normal group, a novice among you all I'm sure. 57 years old. Ride 95% on the road in hilly terrain. Most of my rides are 30+ miles and 75 miles is not unusual. I'm about to start training for two long three day charity rides in the fall. This bike will likely be my last unless I wreck it or hit the lottery. I've decided on disc brakes and an "endurance" set up. Please don't consider cost as in the end each of the three will be within $200 of the others. I know that answer is "they're all good." but wondering whether among you regulars there's a reason to go one way or the other.

There is no opportunity for me to test these bikes. #1 and #2 would come from a reputable seller and would be shipped to me.

1. New 2015 Colnago CX Zero. I'd fit the bike with 700x28 tires. Obvious plus: It's a Colnago. Obvious downside: Mechanical brakes.

2. New Wilier GTR Team Disc. No real obvious plus or downside that I know. Very few reviews of the bike in the internet world makes me a little cautious.

3. Used 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc Di2. Obvious plus is the Di2 shifting. Downside is the bike is used and will be shipped by a private seller cross country. It is not the linked bike (which looks like a great deal but is the wrong size )

Thanks.
Don't buy a bike you've not test ridden. ESPECIALLY if you're going into this with the attitude of "this bike will be my last unless I wreck it or hit the lottery". You need to make it a priority to go test ride bikes if that's what you're hoping for. Buying bikes blind is how you end up buying a bunch of them before you find the one you want to keep.

Are you also saying #3 is not even the right size for you? Why would you even consider that?
Old 03-18-16, 01:57 PM
jimicoltrane

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996
Are you also saying #3 is not even the right size for you? Why would you even consider that?
Actually I said the bike in the link is not the bike I'm considering buying as it is the wrong size. (If it was the right size I'd buy that bike "new" as the price is great AND it's from a reputable dealer.) I posted the link to give those who might want to look at the specs of the bikes I'm considering.
Old 03-18-16, 02:07 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks.
Buy the one that you think looks the coolest.

Nitpicking subtle differences is a waste of time.

The more you like the way it looks, the more you will enjoy riding it.
Old 03-18-16, 02:14 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Actually I said the bike in the link is not the bike I'm considering buying as it is the wrong size. (If it was the right size I'd buy that bike "new" as the price is great AND it's from a reputable dealer.) I posted the link to give those who might want to look at the specs of the bikes I'm considering.

That makes more sense. Are there no local dealers near you where you can try stuff out? I rented a synapse for a week before I decided to get one (rental fee went towards the purchase price).
Old 03-18-16, 02:43 PM
jimicoltrane

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996
Are there no local dealers near you where you can try stuff out?
There are stores around but none where I can get a chance to ride two of them to compare. And at my level of riding, frankly, it would be hard for me to get a good feel of the differences.

I'm a moderately skilled guitarist. I can pick up two or three guitars in succession and know fairly quickly which I prefer. I don't have that level of "feel" for a bike, which has led me to internet research and pricing.

The rental idea is cool. Will see if a store nearby does that. The other idea which does make some sense is to buy the one that I think looks the coolest. Interestingly there was another bike I'd considered, the Cannondale w/o the Di2, but the color scheme (mostly bright green) didn't work for me at all.
Old 03-18-16, 02:45 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you live that you can road test a bike at least similar to these? There's got to be some LBS near you that sells CF Endurance bikes with a 105 (or above) groupset.

Check out the Fuji Gran Fondo with Ultegra and Hydraulic disc brakes.

If you insist on buying at bike that expensive without a road test, then get a pro fit to determine what your numbers are. Of course, if you already have a bike, you can get the stack/reach (or effective seat tube/effective top tube) numbers from it.

GH
Old 03-18-16, 02:47 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

There are stores around but none where I can get a chance to ride two of them to compare. And at my level of riding, frankly, it would be hard for me to get a good feel of the differences.

I'm a moderately skilled guitarist. I can pick up two or three guitars in succession and know fairly quickly which I prefer. I don't have that level of "feel" for a bike, which has led me to internet research and pricing.

The rental idea is cool. Will see if a store nearby does that. The other idea which does make some sense is to buy the one that I think looks the coolest. Interestingly there was another bike I'd considered, the Cannondale w/o the Di2, but the color scheme (mostly bright green) didn't work for me at all.

Whaaa??? Green synapses are best synapses. You can clearly see my preferences:

A LBS is still better for you, especially in the case where you may not be able to tell. The guys in the shop will be able to fit you, and figure out what bike is going to be best for your body type.

Edit: Also REI sells cannondales, and has a pretty liberal return policy, so you could buy it try it for a couple weeks and return it if it's not going to work for you. There are REI stores just about everywhere. But, you might have to have them order the bike in for you.

Last edited by jtaylor996; 03-18-16 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 03:40 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Long live Italy liberated and redeemed
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.