Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Got new wheels and love 'em! Vuelta Corsa HD

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 10:34 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A couple of weeks ago, just after having the wheels of my Bianchi(32 sp lightweight rims on 105 hubs) trued for the second time in just a couple of hundred miles, I rode a 32 mile ride and the wheels were out of round and warped.
I've read many threads here about trouble with different wheels, but haven't had a problem in the past with my older bikes, and I thought that even at close to 260, the 32 spoke wheels would work fine.
Anyway, the next day Nashbar had a sale on the Vuelta Corsa HD wheelsets....and free shipping. After reading the reviews, I ordered them.
Are they heavy? Yes they are. Are they true like an arrow after riding all weekend? Yes they are. Can I tell a difference on hills? No I can't, I still pant and wheeze and look on the pavement for my lungs. Is Karl glad he ordered them and had a fantastic ride? Damn skippy.
Old 03-01-11, 12:32 AM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say you made a good choice, enjoy.
Old 03-01-11, 06:24 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by seenoweevil
No I can't, I still pant and wheeze and look on the pavement for my lungs. Is Karl glad he ordered them and had a fantastic ride? Damn skippy.
Oh MAN! Do I know that feeling!!! Glad you like the wheels. Considering the same ones perhaps for my old roadie to swapout the 27" wheels for those...
Old 03-01-11, 09:17 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Can I tell a difference on hills? No I can't, I still pant and wheeze and look on the pavement for my lungs.
Too funny!
Old 03-01-11, 10:02 AM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Too funny!
Only after the fact sir!
Old 03-01-11, 11:20 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How many miles does the first set have on them? They should be good enough for a 260 lb rider. Who trued them, did he retension them, and why won't they stay straight?

I had the same problem with a set of wheel back in 98. Shop wheel guy said I was too heavy for the Mavic CXP30 28 hole rims at 230 lbs (same profile as a DeepV). I believed it so the rims sat in the closet for 11 years. After a few more bad expeiences with LBS shop wheel guys, I started to question the knowledge and ability of the guys working on my wheels.

I learned to build my own with great success. So I went back to the rims, retensioned the front one myself. Then payed $15 for new spokes and rebuilt the rear, Now at 250 lbs, it has more than 8000 miles on it with zero problems. The LBS guys couldn't keep it straight for more than a week.

It may be worth it to spend $20-$30 to someone that knows what they are doing. Have them retension the wheels 'NOT JUST RETRUE THEM BUT RETENSION" which would save the wheelset.

The trick is to have new wheels retensioned after 300 miles for clydes. Many don't pay attention cause they think true means good. Not so, the tension needs to be correct or you will break spokes at about 2000 miles.

The LBS said these rims weren't any good. I gave them a little TLC and now they have over 8000 miles with zero problems.

Old 03-01-11, 11:25 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Only after the fact sir!
That's to funny! I know lots of clydes that break wheels but do absolutely no climbing. I suggest they give the Deep V a try. Common response is "no, they are too heavy, too slow and not good for climbing"............. One guy as far as to tell me that he got dropped cause his Ultegra hubs were too heavy and slow rollers............
Old 03-01-11, 10:18 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
A guy I used to try to ride with (he kept coming up with reasons not to ride with me), was a weight weenie... Kept telling me what I needed and how much faster he was than me. Till the day I caught him, and dropped him. HARD... on my MTB. It wasn't even close to fair, that bike had road triples, with a 53t big ring, and knobbies. Oh how I wish to be that strong again! Others were chasing me and saw me demolish said weight weenie... He said something about he had his "heavy" wheels that day. And he never ever mentioned I needed something lightweight ever again. AND pointedly avoided riding any direction I was headed... This was like 18 years ago. But the point is the same. Oh, the rear wheel on my MTB had a high flange hub, 4 cross pattern and 15g spokes. NEVER ever broke a spoke on that wheel.

Then that bike was stolen... No, I don't think weight weenie stole it. Did I mention it would be nice to be that strong again?
Old 03-28-11, 08:08 AM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
How many miles does the first set have on them? They should be good enough for a 260 lb rider. Who trued them, did he retension them, and why won't they stay straight?

I had the same problem with a set of wheel back in 98. Shop wheel guy said I was too heavy for the Mavic CXP30 28 hole rims at 230 lbs (same profile as a DeepV). I believed it so the rims sat in the closet for 11 years. After a few more bad expeiences with LBS shop wheel guys, I started to question the knowledge and ability of the guys working on my wheels.

I learned to build my own with great success. So I went back to the rims, retensioned the front one myself. Then payed $15 for new spokes and rebuilt the rear, Now at 250 lbs, it has more than 8000 miles on it with zero problems. The LBS guys couldn't keep it straight for more than a week.

It may be worth it to spend $20-$30 to someone that knows what they are doing. Have them retension the wheels 'NOT JUST RETRUE THEM BUT RETENSION" which would save the wheelset.

The trick is to have new wheels retensioned after 300 miles for clydes. Many don't pay attention cause they think true means good. Not so, the tension needs to be correct or you will break spokes at about 2000 miles.

The LBS said these rims weren't any good. I gave them a little TLC and now they have over 8000 miles with zero problems.

Sorry it took this long to answer Beanz, I missed this thread for a while! I think the guy and the lbs is good, but the wheels are unbranded, so no telling what they are, but they sure are light compared to the wheels on all my other bikes. I will take them to another bike shop and put them on my grandson's bike to see how his little skinny self does with them, then maybe try them again later. Finally losing a few pounds, so we'll see.
Old 05-11-11, 03:43 PM
john_steed_uk

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Sirrus Elite 2001 Specialized Crossroads 1999 Specialized Hardrock 2007 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently bought a set of the Vuelta HD wheels from Nashbar. Came within a week.

Attached an eight-speed SRAM cassette also from Nashbar. Put them on my (slightly) old
Specialized Sirrus.

They look great and they are very fast. I did not think that they were heavy at all. In fact,
I was impressed as to how light they were when I pulled them out of the box. I like them alot
and highly recommend them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
red_specialized_407_1.jpg (62.6 KB, 487 views)
Old 05-11-11, 04:07 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I recommend these wheels all the time, they look solid and have decent reviews.. Good bang for the buck.. If you are 200+ you should worry more about rock solid performing components than shaving a few grams of weight off your bike..

I get grief from my friends for riding Veloce cassettes, instead of Record. I use them because they are easier to clean and I can buy 5 of them for the price of 1 Campy Record Cassette.
Old 05-11-11, 08:18 PM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by john_steed_uk
I just recently bought a set of the Vuelta HD wheels from Nashbar. Came within a week.

Attached an eight-speed SRAM cassette also from Nashbar. Put them on my (slightly) old Specialized Sirrus.

They look great and they are very fast. I did not think that they were heavy at all. In fact, I was impressed as to how light they were when I pulled them out of the box. I like them alot and highly recommend them.

Not to be mean, but recommendations from clydes with new wheels don't mean a lot. Come back when you have a few thousand miles on them and let us know how they are doing. I've been getting about 5k miles on rear open pros and over 10k on front wheels. The most important thing is to get them hand built by someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 05-12-11, 09:03 AM
john_steed_uk

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Sirrus Elite 2001 Specialized Crossroads 1999 Specialized Hardrock 2007 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If we waited for every bike product to have 10K+ miles on it, we
would never buy anything.

With this product, I thought that a certain amount of quality was implied.

These wheels are manufactured and sold by reputable companies. They are
considered to be heavy duty wheels that can handle up to 300 pounds. I
posted this to inform other readers of this forum about this product that
would prove useful to many. I only found these wheels on Nashbar after
hours of searching. I was hoping to save fellow readers these hours of searching.

I was just trying to help out other riders like myself who desire a strong
wheelset at a reasonable price.

I will though post again after I have a few thousand miles on them.
I have no doubt that I will be posting only positive things about these wheels.

Handbuilt wheels may not be a necessity for everyone.
Old 05-22-11, 09:34 AM
FR4NCH1SE

Bikes: 2009 GMC DENALI (walmart bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If we waited for every bike product to have 10K+ miles on it, we
would never buy anything.

With this product, I thought that a certain amount of quality was implied.

These wheels are manufactured and sold by reputable companies. They are
considered to be heavy duty wheels that can handle up to 300 pounds. I
posted this to inform other readers of this forum about this product that
would prove useful to many. I only found these wheels on Nashbar after
hours of searching. I was hoping to save fellow readers these hours of searching.

I was just trying to help out other riders like myself who desire a strong
wheelset at a reasonable price.

I will though post again after I have a few thousand miles on them.
I have no doubt that I will be posting only positive things about these wheels.

Handbuilt wheels may not be a necessity for everyone.
But Handbuilt wheels are almost a necessity for every clyde. Since we are in a Clyde section of the forums.
Old 05-22-11, 04:59 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
...I learned to build my own with great success...

How did you learn to true and re-tension? Self taught ... or read a book about the subject? Do you use that Park Tool truing stand?
Old 05-22-11, 11:35 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right at a thousand miles on the wheels now, and I am still in love with them, by the way. Still arrow true, and I'm not looking so hard for the lungs on the hills lately!
Old 07-21-11, 01:58 PM
jdefran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Right at a thousand miles on the wheels now, and I am still in love with them, by the way. Still arrow true, and I'm not looking so hard for the lungs on the hills lately!
Just curious how these wheels are doing for you? I am about to build up my commuter with some upgraded components and will be replacing the wheels. Even if you don't have 10K on them, I will take your word for it

What width tire are you running? I'm looking to use a 23 on them. Also, did Nashbar provide skewers or rim tape?
Old 07-21-11, 10:31 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdefran
Just curious how these wheels are doing for you? I am about to build up my commuter with some upgraded components and will be replacing the wheels. Even if you don't have 10K on them, I will take your word for it

What width tire are you running? I'm looking to use a 23 on them. Also, did Nashbar provide skewers or rim tape?
They are still great, and they came with skewers and rim tape, though I put cloth tape in them instead. The provided rim tape just didn't weigh enough! Seriously, I love them and am tickled I bought them still, even though they can't be worth anything since they are not handmade. I have 23's on them by the way.
Old 05-27-16, 01:48 PM
john_steed_uk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, has it been 5 years (and thousands of miles) already?

So, I still have these wheels, they still perform extremely well, and I am still very happy with them.

Any heavy/heavier rider will truly benefit from them. Highly recommend.
Old 05-27-16, 06:26 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, has it been 5 years (and thousands of miles) already?

So, I still have these wheels, they still perform extremely well, and I am still very happy with them.

Any heavy/heavier rider will truly benefit from them. Highly recommend.
At least this is a good resurrection of a thread, as a follow-up review to your first one.

GH
Old 05-29-16, 03:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I have a set of these. They are quite heavy. They're the only wheels I've ever had on any bike that made me notice how stiff they are. I have full confidence in them, but if there's any pleasure to be found in the ride quality of wheels, you won't find it here. I had a QR bend on one of them, right near the nut end, when the wheel was out of the bike. I never figured out what caused it. That's not encouraging for the quality of the small hardware, but stuff like this is usually designed to be good where it really counts to find the minimum point between price and warranty claims.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-18-16, 04:17 PM
threeve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a set of these wheels from Nashbar and put them on my bike today (after learning about cassette lock rings and making a quick trip to the local shop for an FR-5). They don't seem appreciably heavier than the old wheels and feel sturdy so far. I look forward to seeing how well they hold up but I have high hopes based on the reviews here.
Old 06-19-16, 12:46 AM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up a set about 6 months ago and they are a great set of wheels for the price.
Old 07-17-16, 08:21 PM
DennyV

Bikes: Orbea Onix Tour De France, Easy Racer Tour Easy. Bacchetta Giro 26, Giro 20, Catrike Road, Cannondale Mt bike, Peugeot PSV-10 Vintage racing bike.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm on my second set of these. I semi retired the first set with almost 10k miles on them, replacing them when I got a killer deal on a second set. The first set is now set up for backups when I do ultra races. I haul them around, but have never had to use them. For Big guys, I highly recommend them. BTW the second set recently purchased has Silky Smooth bearings, right out of the box. The first set took a couple hundred miles to get that way. Also I have never had to retension or retrue either set..
Old 07-29-16, 04:43 PM
8figgas

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just rcv'd my set in the mail today, hope to mount tomorrow. Being 275lbs I was always nervous of my stock wheels(2012 CAAD 8) trying to dodge every road bump I saw. Now its time to really ride, no excuses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.