Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Doping on 60 Minutes

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 11:43 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts

CBS 60 Minutes investigates mechanical doping in professional cycling | Cyclingnews.com

CBS 60 Minutes reportedly travelled to Hungary to interview Istvan Varjas, the engineer widely believed to be the brains behind the invention of mechanical doping in cycling. He has hinted about the investigation several times and admitted he was paid to share his knowledge.

According to several Cyclingnews sources, the CBS 60 minutes investigation is due to be aired on Saturday January 28.
This should be interesting - even if just for the fact that it's getting such a big stage.

1. I have a hard time believing this is widespread, or even much of a factor.
2. The report says the motor can be activated by the team car for short bursts and the rider might not even know he had a doped bike.
3. But if it's true, it's a level of cheating an order of magnitude worse than blood doping.
4. Lance denies he ever used it.
Old 12-29-16, 02:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Took them a while thats a stale Year Plus old story ..
Old 12-29-16, 03:44 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Took them a while thats a stale Year Plus old story ..

I gather that what they've got might show that there's something more to the story. Other than Femke has anyone else been busted? What if this guy really has some provable dirt on big names and teams?
Old 12-30-16, 10:30 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That story makes as much sense as claiming Eddy Merckx rode a carbon frame.
Old 12-30-16, 01:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Guess The Mechanics had a PIT bike they put together .. The Motor kit alone Is a Lot of Euros to buy It.
Old 01-29-17, 07:48 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few interesting things about the segment.

1. The Hungarian guy didn't say outright, but seem to intimate that the mechanical doping in 1998 was for the USPS team.
2. They showed Greg Lemond a motorized bike, and he seemed to think that it could be a problem in professional cycling (he also looked like he's not in great cycling shape).
3. It was interesting that the team SKY's time trial bikes were heavier than the minimum by almost exactly the amount that would indicate a motor, and some organization wouldn't let the TdF weigh the wheels separately from the cycle.

GH
Old 01-29-17, 08:18 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I thought the heart rate trigger for the motor was an interesting touch. Pretty good idea. Everyone is wearing a heart strap that transmits signals. No dedicated switch!
Old 01-29-17, 09:01 PM
howellhandmade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno, I've always loved the sport and have never wanted to believe the cheating stories, but it does seem that testing and enforcement has historically been the only restraint on cheating; if it is technically possible and provides an advantage, and if it is undetectable or not being tested for, someone will do it. It seems that a motor would be quite easy to detect if one were looking for it, but they won't find one now. I hope it is just a case of self-promotion by the inventor. But if it has been done, it will come out eventually. Someone, someday, will want to settle a score, or will need to cop a plea, or an old team bike with traces of modification will be found.

Something I haven't seen discussed is the presence of a battery already in the bike thanks to di2. How hard would it be to create a more powerful battery, and/or use the excess power of the di2 battery to power a motor?
Old 01-30-17, 12:34 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I commute on an ebike. It has a 350 watt direct drive motor that is silent. While there is nothing "hidden" about my system, I've ridden the bike side-by-side with other riders for mile after mile on the MUP, without them even noticing and they are quite surprised when I point it out to them. It is very plausible that someone has taken this technology and miniaturized it to the point that it could be easily hidden. No, not to give a boost to the extent my bike has, but at least to an extent that could make a significant difference, or even decide, a stage race. The story said it could give a significant boost for up to 20 minutes... I'd say that is easily enough to decide the winner of a stage race. Now consider the energy savings and recovery time for a rider that uses the device in multiple stages.

Cycling has been proven to have cheaters (that win major events) for a couple of decades. I still enjoy watching, but I do it with a full expectation that, somewhere in the future, the "winner" will be identified as a cheater. It's approaching "entertainment" rather than "sport." I hope it doesn't get lumped into the same category as professional wrestling.
Old 01-30-17, 01:53 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I gather that what they've got might show that there's something more to the story. Other than Femke has anyone else been busted? What if this guy really has some provable dirt on big names and teams?
They basically accused Cancellara.
Old 01-30-17, 02:25 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
The article is showing up all over my feeds. I have a tough time believing collusion on such a level but then again, it took me a long time to believe the EPO stuff...so obviously I'm not a good judge in these matters.

Just seems like it would be so easy to detect.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 01-30-17, 08:09 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
They basically accused Cancellara.
Tho they never mentioned his name.
I've always thought the Hesjedel crash was the smoking gun.
Old 01-31-17, 10:19 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
Tho they never mentioned his name.
I've always thought the Hesjedel crash was the smoking gun.
They didn't say the name of anyone but Armstrong or Lemond. Too many syllables in the rest I figured.
Old 02-01-17, 10:21 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Posted elsewhere, my fix would be put an upper limit on weight.
That is not preferred to catching them, but if there is doubt - give everyone in the sport the same playing field and let the big money work on new toys.

So require equipment in the 12-13# range and allow motors. Seems motors are becoming part of cycling market anyway these days.

I agree with @howellhandmade post #8. If they can cheat and it is unlikely they will not be caught they will cheat. The sport is too international to depend on one group's values. Making a rule that only the honest follow will not work.