Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to select new wheel set?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 08:13 AM
Gusnova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone.
I have the famous Gmc Denali 700c. Had it for 6 years. Use it to comute to work at least twice a week.I use it, and abuse(transitions of road to sidewalk, etc.) it. The rear Hub is bad and needs a new one.
I dont know what to get. I would like to replace the wheel, and cassette, so i can go faster, and at same time has tobe HD to withstand my riding habits.
Plan to keep the bike as long as possible.
Any suggestions will be appreciated(im overwhelmed)in selecting something good.
THANKS!
Old 06-07-17, 08:21 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Go to a bike shop and buy the cheapest wheel that is the same as yours is. You have a freewheel not a cassette by the way. There is nothing on that bike that can make you faster except getting yourself in great shape physically. There is nothing wrong with the bike but any improvement is going to cost more than the bike did with no signifiant improvement. If you want more speed buy a better bike. Roger
Old 06-07-17, 09:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Does the bike have 7 speed?

You can buy 7 speed cassette wheels.... hmm, maybe they are harder to find than thought. Maybe an 8/9/10 cassette wheel + a spacer for a 7 speed cassette.

The 7 speed cassette will give you slightly more flexibility in gearing over a 7 speed freewheel. And the 8/9/10 wheel could allow other upgrades in the future.

Here is a 11-24 and 12-24 7 speed cassette which would be difficult to find in freewheels.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-7-Spe...ZF2?th=1&psc=1

Of course, there is a lot of debate on how much those extra high gears actually help with speed. I do believe they help some people.
Old 06-07-17, 09:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
lectric cycles, https://www.eradkits.com/ offers a Mid drive motor kit That will make you faster.
[outside help]

Id get another rear wheel with an internal gear hub, in combination with the electric motor.

NuVinci CVR, has a 2 cable grip shift, it will slip over that separable handle bar ..

continuously variable, so not having a number count of 'speeds'..

Old 06-07-17, 09:38 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
What's wrong with the rear hub? If it's not coasting, that's probably the freewheel failing, which is integrated with the rear gear cluster on that bike. If the bearings are rough, look into whether they can be overhauled (the issue would be that the bearing races of the wheel are too rough). If the bearings are truly shot, or the axle's bent, or whatever else that's irreparable, then, yeah, replace the wheel.

With your bike being 7 speed, there is some possibility that the spacing of your rear wheel is 126mm, which would make it incompatible with 8/9/10sp freehub wheels, which are spaced at 130mm. Measure between the inside of the rear dropouts to find out. If it's 126, just get a 7 speed freewheel hub wheel. These can be a little difficult to source. If you go to a bike coop or a shop with used parts, or on craigslist, you can likely find what you need. Failing that: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Rear-7...-/301438377254 would be good. Most good bike shops should also be able to order you something, but are likely to not have anything in stock.

If it measure 130mm, I'd probably recommend you get a freehub wheel, a 4.5mm spacer to put a 7 speed cassette on, and a new 7 speed cassette. You can get an 11t small cog if you want. This will also have a stronger axle than a freewheel hub. If you replace your cassette you probably need to replace your chain, as given your riding habits I'd be willing to bet your chain is worn. You will need a chain tool (~$15-40) and a freehub tool ($5) and a chain wrench (~$10-40) and the skills to use them. If you buy a wheel off the internet, it will probably have poorly adjusted/greased hubs, and may slightly out of true, both issues most/many shops would resolve on an inexpensive wheel before handing it to a customer.

Last edited by cpach; 06-07-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 09:38 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
lectric cycles, https://www.eradkits.com/ offers a Mid drive motor kit That will make you faster.
[outside help]

Id get another rear wheel with an internal gear hub, in combination with the electric motor.

NuVinci CVR, has a 2 cable grip shift, it will slip over that separable handle bar ..

continuously variable, so not having a number count of 'speeds'.....
Excellent suggestion. That shouldn't cost more than 10X what the bike cost initially but it will make him faster.
Old 06-07-17, 10:53 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
You could buy a whole new Denali for not much more than the cost of a decent wheel. These bikes are intended to be disposable.
Old 06-07-17, 01:51 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It appears that NONE of the above posters know much about the GMC Denali bicycle.....

The OLD is 135mm. The Denali is a hybrid with drop bars, using the low cost MTB components for the most part.

This is a direct replacement for the original wheel: https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...bo-bk-dti2-0sl

Put your old freewheel on it, or a new freewheel and your done.

This one is a nice upgrade:
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...-deore-lx-t670

you'll need a new 7 speed cassette and a 4.5mm spacer to properly locate the 7 speed cassette on the wider freehub.

As far as faster; if you are not spinning out in top gear, as noted above, faster will only come from engine improvements.

If you are spinning out in top gear, the cassette can help. The Denali is equipped with a 14-28 (or 13-28) freewheel. With a cassette you can go to 11 teeth on the smallest cog; which changes the top gear from 3.43 to 4.36. With the 48/38/28 crankset; I'd suggest going with a 11-24 cassette like this one: https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...3-11-24-nik-7s

Again NOTE that if you are not spinning out in top gear the 11 tooth top gear is not going to make you faster.
Old 06-09-17, 09:55 PM
Gusnova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx alot for all the responses. Execept for the one with the electric bikes, really!!
When i said faster, maybe i didnt explain my self. What happens is that when im going in a slight down hill and all my fast gears are engage. I feel i can pedal some more, but is like im missing more gears. That is my best explanation😂😂.
And i know any good component will cost more than my bike. But i had it for so long im going to it running. One day ill buybonevof those $750 bikes (lol)....
Old 06-09-17, 10:07 PM
Gusnova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx Nfmisso! With those links. They provide all specs and info that i need. I feel i can go by my self from there. To me is easier to adjust the head valves in my car, than truing the wheels in my Denali. Thats where i im. lol
Thanks again! Post is closed.
Old 06-09-17, 10:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12773 Post(s)
Liked 7,689 Times in 4,081 Posts
I'd probably go with a wheelset.

Vuelta Corsa Pro II 11-Speed Road Wheelset

+

SRAM Pg-730 7 Speed Cassette

+

spacers. Unfortunately Nashbar doesn't have cassette spacers, so you could go to Amazon, I reckon
https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufa...ssette+spacers

Then you'll need a cassette tool.

Have a 12" crescent, 24mm or 1" endwrench, then just get
Park Tool FR-5.2G Cassette Tool

Otherwise, go with:
Nashbar Cassette Lockring Tool

Wheels will be a little narrower than rear end of the Denali, but the 2.5mm squeeze of each dropout shouldn't be a problem

The 12T small cog will yield a slightly higher gear than the 14T which I think is stock on Denalis.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-09-17 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 12:40 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
While the niagara cycle is a nice upgrade, if it were me, I get a complete cassette wheelset off of eBay for less than $140. There is a 29er (same as 700c) Alivio/CR18 wheelset for less than $120 new. If you spend some time looking at different wheels, you could probably get a very good used wheelset delivered for less than $100.

If the rear wheel is wearing out the front may not be far behind. Last thing you need is to drop a couple hundred bucks on a wheelset.

John
Old 06-10-17, 07:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I was entertained.... Start over the "denali" is not worth wasting more money on.

you got too cheap a bike to be imagining yourself faster, buy a proper bike at a bike shop next time.
Old 06-10-17, 07:27 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seriously, just send the thing to the dump. You'll end up spending more for wheels than it's worth, and in the end, you'll still have a 40 lb piece of junk to ride. You can buy a DECENT used bike for the same price.
Old 06-10-17, 11:18 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'd probably go with a wheelset.

Vuelta Corsa Pro II 11-Speed Road Wheelset

Why would you purchase a 130mm OLD wheel for a frame with a 135mm spacing?
Old 06-10-17, 02:13 PM
Gusnova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me it doesn't matter if it a cheap bike

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I was entertained.... Start over the "denali" is not worth wasting more money on.

you got too cheap a bike to be imagining yourself faster, buy a proper bike at a bike shop next time.
I had that bike for over 5 years. There is alot of memories build over time that no new "real" bike will have. Because of that i will keep it running as long as i can.The Denali sure is heavy,but is also heavy duty made, is tough frame that suits my riding style(city streets.Bike trails or parks are just plain boring). If i spend $500 on good quality components it may be not ok for you. But it is ok for me.
Old 06-10-17, 02:38 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Gusnova
I had that bike for over 5 years. There is alot of memories build over time that no new "real" bike will have. Because of that i will keep it running as long as i can.The Denali sure is heavy,but is also heavy duty made, is tough frame that suits my riding style(city streets.Bike trails or parks are just plain boring). If i spend $500 on good quality components it may be not ok for you. But it is ok for me.
well put! the fork is heavy... the rear wheel probably had issues because of a low quality, poorly assembled, hub...... the front hub was too tight from the factory, and if adjusted properly early in it's life, it would work ok....

the rear derailleur is a bad experiment in bad shifting.... same for the front der.... BUT, they work ok if adjusted properly..

the twist shifters are tragic.... i swap on old lever type ones that fit to the gooseneck... LOTS better!

swap in a lighter fork, and better shifting ders... add a set of lighter, higher quality, wheels... i'd imagine the stock tires lasted quite a while, but they too are HEAVY, eh? and the stock, easy-rust, cables have long been replaced with SS ones, right?

the bottom bracket(crank bearings) is another low quality piece... swap in a better one.

the crank set is a heavy one... get a better, lighter, one.

the frame is ok... heavy, but durable....

high end bike thieves ignore the Denalis... this is a benefit!

trolls suck... have fun riding your Denali.
Old 06-10-17, 02:41 PM
Gusnova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Seriously, just send the thing to the dump. You'll end up spending more for wheels than it's worth, and in the end, you'll still have a 40 lb piece of junk to ride. You can buy a DECENT used bike for the same price.
Why people trying to make me buy another bike. I did not ask if the bike was cheap? Or if it was junk? Or if it was decent?
I ask for help in how to select a wheel set?
If you spend lots of money on real bike, well that is your choice.
The Denali frame is made of surprisingly good quality aluminum. With good components this bike will be just as good as an overpriced "real" bike.
I know this because Im a welder, know something about metals, and have ride the bike for over 5 years.
And i only spended $170.00, plus tires, tubes, and brakes.
Just save your negativity for your own.
Old 06-10-17, 02:46 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gusnova, Don't worry about it. Follow nfmisso's advice and you'll be just fine.

Brad
Old 06-10-17, 03:08 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12773 Post(s)
Liked 7,689 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
Why would you purchase a 130mm OLD wheel for a frame with a 135mm spacing?
I figure if road riding continues to be a passion, and the OP finds a good used road bike on CL, then that would make a good backup wheelset. I'd try to fix the stock wheelset so that it could be sold with the Denali in the future.

Denali stays are pretty long so the rear triangle can handle the squeeze.

A 135 rear road wheel without disc support would be of more limited future use, I think.
Old 06-10-17, 03:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Generally Shimano will be easier to fix, replacing assemblies , but not the tiny parts within them...

But don't they use a SRam Grip Shifter?

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-10-17 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 04:10 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gusnova
Why people trying to make me buy another bike. I did not ask if the bike was cheap? Or if it was junk? Or if it was decent?
I ask for help in how to select a wheel set?
If you spend lots of money on real bike, well that is your choice.
The Denali frame is made of surprisingly good quality aluminum. With good components this bike will be just as good as an overpriced "real" bike.
I know this because Im a welder, know something about metals, and have ride the bike for over 5 years.
And i only spended $170.00, plus tires, tubes, and brakes.
Just save your negativity for your own.
Hello, Mr. Welder. Let me introduce myself; you can call me "Mr. Mechanical Engineer".

FWIW, I spent (as opposed to "spended") $250 on a nice used Cannondale, which had a nice wheelset, with 7-speed cogs. It weighs.....let me take it to the scale......21 lbs. How much does your Denali weigh? I'll wait for your answer later, but I'm betting it's in the neighborhood of 40 lbs.

So, you think that your frameset is "surprisingly good"? Well, for the price, maybe, but let ,me ask you; are the tubes seamed or seamless? Are they butted? Is there internal lugwork under those butt welds? Has it been annealed after welding? Do you even know which grade of aluminum it has (mine is 7075 with a T6 aging, BTW).

So, yes, you can buy a "good" wheelset for this bike, but the junky frame, and all the rest of the components will still be there. It's throwing good money after bad; it's trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; it's penny-wise and pound-foolish; it may even be like bringing coal to Newcastle. Right now, the major value on your bike is the approximately $20 of aluminum that you'll get at a metal recycler. I doubt you could sell the rest for $10.

Don't waste your money on this bike.

Thank you, and have a nice day!

Last edited by AlexCyclistRoch; 06-10-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 04:32 PM
Gusnova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the deal.

Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Hello, Mr. Welder. Let me introduce myself; you can call me "Mr. Mechanical Engineer".

FWIW, I spent $250 on a nice used Cannondale, which had a nice wheelset, with 7-speed cogs. It weighs.....let me take it to the scale......21 lbs. How much does your Denali weigh? I'll wait for your answer later, but I'm betting it's in the neighborhood of 40 lbs.

So, you think that your frameset is "surprisingly good"? Well, for the price, maybe, but let ,me ask you; are the tubes seamed or seamless? Are they butted? Is there internal lugwork under those butt welds? Has it been annealed after welding? Do you even know which grade of aluminum it has (mine is 7075 with a T6 aging, BTW).

So, yes, you can buy a "good" wheelset for this bike, but the junky frame, and all the rest of the components will still be there. It's throwing good money after bad; it's trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; it's penny-wise and pound-foolish; it may even be like bringing coal to Newcastle. Right now, the major value on your bike is the approximately $20 of aluminum that you'll get at a metal recycler. I doubt you could sell the rest for $10.

Don't waste your money on this bike (and, while I'm at it, "spended" is not a valid word).

Thank you, and have a nice day!
Well..Duh!!
I dont care about your bike. Whst matters is that you like it.
And i like my bike the way it is. If you think is worth 20 bucks, well....Duh!
Oviously is not your Bike. Is worthless to you. I am not planing to sell it. Want to keep it for ever😁😃.
And sometimes i fatfinger words when typing. Im sure you never make mistakes Mr.Engineer, ...now go look your sel in the mirror....Duh!
Old 06-11-17, 08:08 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'll stand with the OP on this. I have the Kent International 6061 frame used on the Denali. Mine was sold as Genesis Roadtech. I started with upgrading the tires to Vittoria Zaffiro II 700x28 - much lighter! ($34.18) Next got a CF fork from Nashbar. ($79.99) Unlike the Denali, mine has a 1 piece handlebar and had stem shifters. I replaced them with Shimano Tourney brifters. ($77.95) The RD got bent and wasn't worth the time to bend it straight so I got a Claris RD. ($24.09). After all that, I still have a bargain bike - and I ride it everywhere and park it anywhere. So, replace the wheel for $40 or the wheelset for less than $120. Keep enjoying your ride and laugh at the cynics.
Old 06-13-17, 11:22 AM
Gusnova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700
I'll stand with the OP on this. I have the Kent International 6061 frame used on the Denali. Mine was sold as Genesis Roadtech. I started with upgrading the tires to Vittoria Zaffiro II 700x28 - much lighter! ($34.18) Next got a CF fork from Nashbar. ($79.99) Unlike the Denali, mine has a 1 piece handlebar and had stem shifters. I replaced them with Shimano Tourney brifters. ($77.95) The RD got bent and wasn't worth the time to bend it straight so I got a Claris RD. ($24.09). After all that, I still have a bargain bike - and I ride it everywhere and park it anywhere. So, replace the wheel for $40 or the wheelset for less than $120. Keep enjoying your ride and laugh at the cynics.
Thanx alot. Lots of good info. Very apreciated👍

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.