Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you sometimes feel like you hate your bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you sometimes feel like you hate your bike?

Old 11-26-18, 09:46 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
Ok, maybe "hate" is not the right word, but there's been times when I've been out on a long ride, and I ask myself, "Why am I out here doing this?" Your muscles hurt, you are hot or cold. There's other things you need to be doing.
Anyone else relate?
No. Cycling … for me is a real joy. Cycling may or may not have other benefits. But for me cycling is not a means to an end. I ride for the fun.
Old 11-26-18, 09:59 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I tend to "hate" my bike when I go over the bars and get badly injured. Even though I know it was my fault, I still "hate" that bike while I'm recovering.
Old 11-27-18, 11:44 AM
Richard25

Bikes: diamondback atroz 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't hate my bikes. But I hate my bike chain. it loses every time when I run away from home. it's disgusting.
Old 11-27-18, 11:45 AM
embalmingfluid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bike is a fun torture device.
Old 11-27-18, 11:59 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Yes, of course.

Over the course of a couple hundred hours a year of riding, there's plenty of opportunity to be disgruntled with this thing or that.

If only it were a little lighter... carbon instead of aluminum, maybe. But then if it were CF I'd wonder if maybe I should have gotten the Aluminum Synapse instead of the Carbon one.

If only its tires were less prone to goathead flats...
If only its shifting between the 7th and 8th cog while in the large chainring were more reliable...
Is it too stretched out? Is it stretched out enough?
Is the saddle too high? Is it too low?
Why does the headset tick sometimes when I hit a hard pothole?
How I hate the fact that the left shifter's down-shift lever has 1cm broken off the bottom of it (and yet it works well enough to not want to spend a bunch of money replacing the whole shifter).
Is it stupid to have a Tubus Fly Evo on the back when I only carry a pannier on it very infrequently? Maybe I would be happier taking it off! But on the other hand, I like having it on.
Is my CygloLite Hotshot Pro 150 too bright, blinding approaching vehicles? Is it bright enough to be seen from a distance?
Wouldn't it be so much nicer if I had Ultegra components instead of 105?
Why, when there's so much room under the downtube, is there no set of bottle mounts on the under-side? (Which I would use to hold my pump).
Why do I only have 2mm clearance between the tire and the chainstays when I mount GP4000sII in a 28mm size? Would it have hurt them to give a little more room there since the rest of the bike has ample room for 28mm tires?
Would a newer Synapse frame be a world better than this ten year old one? Should I swap out the drivetrain from a 3x10 to a more modern 2x11 at next break-down?

There are an infinite number of things to worry about and dislike on the bike as you sweat along your routes. But in the end, every bike is made of compromises (even if the compromise is in terms of what you cannot spend money on because you just spent $10k on the bike). The best solution is to just get out and ride. ... or buy N+1.
Old 11-28-18, 09:08 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Never. I might not always want to ride it, and there are times, when I'm dying trying to hang onto the end of a fast pace line, that whether I'm "having fun" or not is debatable. But the bike itself? I love it. It brings me happiness just looking at it.