Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 03:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts

Just bought this CAAD 12 w/105 about two weeks ago. And, yesterday I put a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs on. Then, because I have a Park digital scale, I weighed it. 17 lb. 10 oz w/Speedplay pedals, 1 bottle cage and a Garmin mount. I thought that was pretty light for 105. Cannondale calls it a 52 but it actually measures out at 54. I've ridden it 4 times for about 100 miles and it is so much more than I imagined. Really, really happy.
Old 06-02-19, 08:02 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Chop21
It's a sad day, my CAAD 9 has got a dented top tube - I guess that's the problem with leaving it locked outside the office every day.

Was looking to get a CAAD 12 frame and moving my Khartoum elites, ultegra and carbon finishing kit on to that, BUT, our local bike shop stocks some very nice Ti frames, so I'm going big and buying the Enigma Excel!!!

Excited but gutted to see the old bike go..... After thousands of miles and continuous upgrades, will be a damn shame to get rid of it
I don't think I'd want to work someplace where I had to lock up my bike outside.
Old 06-03-19, 06:43 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I picked up a 2015 CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc back in April (feels like February or March it's been so long) when it was, naturally, still cold and wet. I may be in my 30s, but I come from restoring and building many a C&V steed, vintage Cannondales included. Black Inc. seems to me to be the second coming of the "Black Lightning" black/gold color scheme, just spread to more models. I really freaking dig it. I was looking at going to a disc bike for my next build to expand my horizons and see what the fuss was about, especially with regard to braking performance in the rain, which, as anyone who commutes year round in the northern states/rainy areas can tell you, braking in the rain is no fun. Add in the steep hills and busy city traffic in and around Seattle, and it's critical to be able to haul yourself down in a hurry, with confidence.

Well, I figured 11-speed would be part of the deal, and it was. Along with internal cable routing, hydraulic disc (on top of just a "disc brake" criteria), and BB30. The learning curve looked more like a cliff to climb! This was especially true as I would be doing all the research and leg work to figure out, source, purchase (used components only, minus tubes, chain), and build the bike. And well, after many months, including a brief summer hiatus as I worked to obtain the correct brake calipers (mountain bike style 74mm center-to-center, M6 bolt interface **post mount** BR-RS785, NO banjo bolt), I was able to sell other bike parts and fully fund this build. The goal was to fund it and have an a la carte build for a fraction of a full-zoot Sram Red 22 Hydro Disc CAAD10 Black. Mission accomplished on all fronts, even if I did take the bike to a good shop to hook up, fill, and bleed the hydraulic brake lines. I did the final assembly and bedding-in of the brake pads+rotors. This brace of modern tech (on top of plenty of 7/8/9/10-speed build experience prior) was daunting and with a good bit of money and time into it, a little intimidating.

Thankfully, the bedding in went well (I followed the directions), though certainly very interesting to have to do! The following test ride (a 3.7 mile loop) went very well. This CAAD is certainly a 'platform' in that it is very stable and sweeps and surges upon intentional steering and out-of-the-saddle acceleration/climbing efforts. Due to the low-cut steerer, my saddle-to-bar height drop is the most extreme of all my rides, but it looks great and is comfortable. This is a bike you can ride for a long time, and although it is the start of eternal rain up here, I still want to get it out every chance I can. Such a great bike!!

2015 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc - 63cm

HT: 73.5° ST: 72.0°
Weight as pictured ~19.2 lb with SPD (mountain type, not very light) pedals as I commute and enjoy walking around normally.
Shimano Ultegra or Ultegra level - 6800 generation -
Shimano ST-RS685 11-speed hydraulic brake/shift units
Crankset: Ultegra 175mm length, mid-compact 52-36T
Cassette: 11s 11-28T Ultegra with Ultegra FD and RD (long cage)
DT Swiss Spline 23 wheelset with centerlock disc mounts, Schwalbe One 700x28mm tires
BR-RS785 brake calipers - post mount (mountain bike standard - 74.02mm +/- spacing, M6 bolt)
Shimano ST-99 discs (Ice Tech with Freeza) 160mm F, 140mm R - front adapter: Shimano SM-MA-F180P/P2 (a 20mm spacer for going from 160mm to 180mm calipers, but works properly here)
PRO stem 105mm - Giant Contact SL compact bars 42cm CTC
Zipp seat post, Fizik Aliante Large (155mm width) saddle, Specialized Ribcage bottle cages (bought new years ago).

So. Hot.

Great looking bike. At 19.2lbs that probably gives my 61 Roubaix carbon a run for its money. I like that sir.
Old 06-03-19, 06:58 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Great looking bike. At 19.2lbs that probably gives my 61 Roubaix carbon a run for its money. I like that sir.
Thank you! I've changed it to tan wall tires, and it looks pro. Still, the all-black in these photos still looks great. Maybe I'll change back...
Old 06-25-19, 10:28 AM
pnczur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yay! I am now a Cannondale owner's club member!

I have always wanted a caad frame after trying out my buddy's 2004 R5000 back in the day. It was so light and responsive that it became my reference point for every bike that came into my orbit thereafter. So one day as I was browsing around on Offer Up I found this frame in my 54cm size that was selling for $200. I made an offer of $120 and a deal was made.

As you can see the upper cage on the down tube was mangled from a botched rivet job. I was able to drop in some epoxy and all was good.

I transfered all the parts off my second bike/trainer onto the caad. Here is how it came out looking like after the first batch of parts

The fame is a BB30 frame so I had to get an adapter. I first bought a praxis adapter but I didn't like the execution of it so I ended up getting a Rotor adapter instead that was a lot more simple to drop it in.

Here is my first initial build and its everything I wanted and so now I am finally a member. The downside to me building this frame up is that it has made my carbon frame not seem as special as it once was.

Here is the final version

I just finished a quick 30 mile ride and wow! so explosive out of the saddle, I was hitting well known sections with an ease that I only feel when I'm at my peak. Only downside is this frame has also given me the most feedback in form of vibration at my hands. The rear feels like I'm floating. A good carbon stem is the next upgrade.
Old 06-25-19, 12:09 PM
pnczur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More pics and which one gets the zero’s?

Old 07-11-19, 08:15 PM
thenewjs

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
First online US retailer I've found to carry the CAAD13 https://www.kozy.com/product/cannond...a-363769-1.htm
Old 07-12-19, 08:41 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by pnczur
. So one day as I was browsing around on Offer Up I found this frame in my 54cm size that was selling for $200. I made an offer of $120 and a deal was made.
jealous! I need a 54 CAAD9 (BB30) frame for a singlespeed project
Old 07-12-19, 11:51 AM
GoodNewsEvery1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I’m wondering if the Caad13 will have a disc Ultegra build. I’ve seen photos and leaked info for 105 rim, 105 disc, and Ultegra rim but not Ultegra disc. None of the bike shops that have listed the Caad13 has it either. I’m still trying to decide if I’ll try to get an outgoing Caad12 Ultegra or get the new one.

Last edited by GoodNewsEvery1; 07-12-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-12-19, 12:09 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodNewsEvery1
I’m wondering if the Caad13 will have a disc Ultegra build. I’ve seen photos and leaked info for 105 rim, 105 disc, and Ultegra rim but not Ultegra disc. None of the bike shops that have listed the Caad13 has it either. I’m still trying to decide if I’ll try to get an outgoing 12 Ultegra or get the new one.
I have the 2019 CAAD12 Ultegra Rim. Sweet bike.

Based on the published specs for the 2020 model, the price is $200 higher, the crank and chainrings are different (no longer the OPI Spidering), handlebars and stem go from C2 to C3, the seatpost goes from carbon to aluminum, and the cassette goes from Ultegra to 105. When all is said and done, I'm not sure if the advances in frame design compensate for changes in hardware, but I'd want to know more about it before deciding.
Old 07-14-19, 05:27 AM
GoodNewsEvery1

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I have the 2019 CAAD12 Ultegra Rim. Sweet bike.

Based on the published specs for the 2020 model, the price is $200 higher, the crank and chainrings are different (no longer the OPI Spidering), handlebars and stem go from C2 to C3, the seatpost goes from carbon to aluminum, and the cassette goes from Ultegra to 105. When all is said and done, I'm not sure if the advances in frame design compensate for changes in hardware, but I'd want to know more about it before deciding.
I stopped by my LBS yesterday. They had (unofficially) a Caad13. They are out of Caad12s and nowhere near has them. I also sat on a SuperSix Evo while there. I’m 5’9 but much more leg that torso. The 54 cm SSE fit perfectly. However, I was reaching some with the 54 cm Caad13 and it wasn’t as comfortable. This was just sitting on the bike; I wasn’t able to ride since I had my 3 year old with me.

I am thinking of ordering a 54 cm Caad12 from Rei since they have some (no 52s though). Once I have it, I can see how it rides and fits. Then I take the Caad13 and SSE out for a demo and really compare the 3. I would prefer one of the Caads but if the SSE fits better, I will have to decide which build to get. The ultegra SSE is nearly $2k more than Ultegra Caad but does have a lot of upgrades like carbon wheels.
Old 07-14-19, 03:08 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
The CAAD13 and new SSEvo geometry are almost identical. Any differences you felt could have been seat setup or stem spacers. The charts I've seen only show a mm difference here or there. I test rode a bike yesterday that was very similar to my current geometry but it felt very short to me. Upon returning I noticed the seat was slammed as far forward as possible. If I would have noticed earlier I am sure the 1.5 inches of extra space would have been perfect.
Old 07-14-19, 05:51 PM
mpp

Bikes: 2016 CAAD12 Disc 105

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Happy new member to Cannondale club! Picked up a NOS 2016 CAAD12 Disc 105 3 weeks ago. Put 250mi on it so far and loving it. Running with stock components + Look Keo Max 2 Carbon pedals + Wahoo Element Bolt + speed and cadence sensors. I have a Hunt Aero Light wheelset on order, along with GP5000TLs. Primary use is solo road rides with occasional social rides with friends -- not planning on racing.

I'm really tempted by the Topstone 105 for unpaved trail rides as a complement to the CAAD12. I'll probably wait to next year though before deciding.
Likes For mpp:
Old 07-14-19, 06:00 PM
GoodNewsEvery1

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mpp
Happy new member to Cannondale club! Picked up a NOS 2016 CAAD12 Disc 105 3 weeks ago. Put 250mi on it so far and loving it. Running with stock components + Look Keo Max 2 Carbon pedals + Wahoo Element Bolt + speed and cadence sensors. I have a Hunt Aero Light wheelset on order, along with GP5000TLs. Primary use is solo road rides with occasional social rides with friends -- not planning on racing.

I'm really tempted by the Topstone 105 for unpaved trail rides as a complement to the CAAD12. I'll probably wait to next year though before deciding.
I’m the opposite. I have a Topstone 105 and looking to get a Caad12 or 13. I really like my Topstone; it is a great gravel bike. I have a second set of wheels with slicks for when I take it on light gravel or rougher paved roads.
Old 07-15-19, 06:40 AM
GoodNewsEvery1

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluechip
The CAAD13 and new SSEvo geometry are almost identical. Any differences you felt could have been seat setup or stem spacers. The charts I've seen only show a mm difference here or there. I test rode a bike yesterday that was very similar to my current geometry but it felt very short to me. Upon returning I noticed the seat was slammed as far forward as possible. If I would have noticed earlier I am sure the 1.5 inches of extra space would have been perfect.
The new Caad13 is officially on the Cannondale site and you are totally right. It must be the way they were set up that would cause them to feel so different.

No ultegra disc model is listed on the site. I am now trying to decide between ultegra builds of the Caad12, Caad13, and new SSE.
Old 07-15-19, 07:48 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
My quest may be over

I'll keep this simple and straight to the point... my wife loves pink bikes. The new CAAD13 has a 105 model in "Sherpa" which looks very pink to me. I know it's a little early and all the specs may not be available but I don't seem to see any differences between the "Womens" 105 and the standard model. Is this basically going to mean the women's model comes with a shorter stem, smaller cranks etc? The frames are exactly the same.

Maybe finally I can get her a bike (color) she really loves.
Old 07-15-19, 08:08 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodNewsEvery1
The new Caad13 is officially on the Cannondale site and you are totally right. It must be the way they were set up that would cause them to feel so different.

No ultegra disc model is listed on the site. I am now trying to decide between ultegra builds of the Caad12, Caad13, and new SSE.
There was no Ultegra disc in the CAAD12 (at least in the US in the past few years). To me, some the components on Ultegra CAAD13 seem like a downgrade. I wonder if it's really a better bike.
Old 07-15-19, 08:16 AM
GoodNewsEvery1

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
There was no Ultegra disc in the CAAD12 (at least in the US in the past few years). To me, some the components on Ultegra CAAD13 seem like a downgrade. I wonder if it's really a better bike.
Yup. They kept the line up similar to the Caad12. Europe gets a Caad13 Ultegra disc though.

The downgrades might sway me to find a 12 (especially if on sale).
Old 07-15-19, 12:26 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
CAAD13 is getting me all hot and bothered.
Old 07-17-19, 08:16 PM
ToiletSiphon

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone has the weight of the CAAD13 105 disc?
Old 07-18-19, 06:22 AM
GoodNewsEvery1

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon
Does anyone has the weight of the CAAD13 105 disc?
I saw on another forum that someone weighed the 105 rim and it was 8.44 kg (18.6 lbs) so I would expect the 105 disc to be about 9 kg (or just under 20 lbs).
Old 07-18-19, 08:27 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Old 07-26-19, 01:52 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
My CAAD 8 as of today...

Old 07-27-19, 08:43 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I don't like any of the paint schemes for the CAAD12. Waiting on the CAAD13.....
Old 07-27-19, 02:19 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts

I'm nearly done with this build.

Yes, I posted it above some time ago. But it is nearly ready to ride, it has already had a 2 mile shake down. Just some minor adjustments needed, and bar tape.

It has SRAM Red 53/39 crankset, Force 2x10 brifters, Rival FD and RD, and 12 to 30 cassette. Without bar tape, comes in at 18 lbs 5 oz...

Last edited by zjrog; 07-27-19 at 06:13 PM.
Likes For zjrog:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.