Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

older mavic ksyrium or newer axis 2.0 ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 11:05 AM
unalteu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey guys . need a bit of advice . have 2 wheelsets older mavic ksyrium ssc or newer specialized axis 2.0.
now normally id go for the newer less worn axis but the mavics are considerably lighter (about 350g for the pair roughly on kitchen scale but you can feel the difference by hand)
the hubs on both are smooth . they are both quite true the spokes tension is good .
the only real tell of wear on the mavics is the brake surface which is concave but not to a ridiculous amount tho its noticeable (id say roughly 15 - 20% concave wear ) wheres the axis is not worn at all (roughly 3 - 5% )
thanks

Old 09-17-20, 02:49 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 870 Posts
I might be missing something here, but if there's nothing wrong with the Mavics I'd ride those. I'm not really sure why you'd ride the heavier wheels unless there's some other benefit?

They look like they could use a good scrubbing, but otherwise those are a pretty decent wheelset. That valve stem though...
Old 09-17-20, 04:17 PM
unalteu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I might be missing something here, but if there's nothing wrong with the Mavics I'd ride those. I'm not really sure why you'd ride the heavier wheels unless there's some other benefit?

They look like they could use a good scrubbing, but otherwise those are a pretty decent wheelset. That valve stem though...
yeah well like i said . they re old ..older and more worn than the axis . but alas like i said just the brake surface is to only sign of actual wear ..unsure how important that is .
Old 09-18-20, 02:18 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I think you'll find the Mavic's will stand a good bit of wear yet. Sadly you'll find that when they are too worn or if they get damaged Mavic won't have replacement rims for them. I've got an otherwise perfect pair where the rear one got damaged when I was rear-ended. Made me swear that I'd never again buy expensive wheels that couldn't be repaired. The Mavic freewheel unit, though, is still quite replaceable.