Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel bike shoes/pedals?

Old 09-24-20, 03:59 PM
Grimfish74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Gravel bike shoes/pedals?

I’ve always used SPd’s on my road bikes but for a number of reasons I’ve decided to go with the crank brothers flat pedals on my new gravel bike. After a lot of searching I found some casual looking Adidas MTb 5/10 shoes, (why do they nearly all look like student skateboarding trainers?) but although they stick really well they are very uncomfortable, I’ve done about 150 miles in them now and and comfort is not getting any better.

So I went out tonight wearing some Solaman trail shoes and these felt great the only problem being my feet slipped at times, and when I checked the sole’s later I could see the pin marks have just started to slice through the rubber.
So with that in mind I’m not sure what to do next is there some better flat pinless pedals out there I could use with my trail shoes?
Old 09-24-20, 05:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Why not just stick with SPD ?
Old 09-24-20, 08:44 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
For me it's the TIME ATAC pedals, FTW
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 09-24-20, 09:50 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I use the regular 'ol classic 5-10 Freerider, the one that looks like a skate shoe. Cheap, comfy, and grip for days with my VP Vice pedals. My feet don't move unless it's intentional. I have tried a few other 5-10 models in the past, and they were always really narrow--is that what your discomfort is with the new ones that look like Sambas? The classic ones have a pretty roomy/comfy toebox. I can wear them all day actually walking around, etc.

Any kind of trail shoe that has a tread/lugged sole I find very sketchy on pedals like this. The contact area isn't there so the pins can't do their job, and the tread/lugs can keep you from finding the sweet spot with foot positioning (I like to slightly move my feet at times intentionally to make subtle changes depending on what I'm doing--one of the main bonuses of flats). Also, the tread sometimes gets "hung up" on the pins, and not in a good way.

Last edited by pbass; 09-24-20 at 10:08 PM.
Likes For pbass:
Old 09-24-20, 10:25 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
how much do you actually walk on your gravel bike? for best on bike experience you want stiff carbon soled xc shoes
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 09-25-20, 06:06 AM
Grimfish74

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Why not just stick with SPD ?
I’m planning on some long solo days/weekends out so want a more casual look, no Lycra or clicking road shoes when I stop off.
Likes For Grimfish74:
Old 09-25-20, 06:09 AM
Grimfish74

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I use the regular 'ol classic 5-10 Freerider, the one that looks like a skate shoe. Cheap, comfy, and grip for days with my VP Vice pedals. My feet don't move unless it's intentional. I have tried a few other 5-10 models in the past, and they were always really narrow--is that what your discomfort is with the new ones that look like Sambas? The classic ones have a pretty roomy/comfy toebox. I can wear them all day actually walking around, etc.

Any kind of trail shoe that has a tread/lugged sole I find very sketchy on pedals like this. The contact area isn't there so the pins can't do their job, and the tread/lugs can keep you from finding the sweet spot with foot positioning (I like to slightly move my feet at times intentionally to make subtle changes depending on what I'm doing--one of the main bonuses of flats). Also, the tread sometimes gets "hung up" on the pins, and not in a good way.
thanks that’s good advice and yes it’s the samba type I’m wearing, it’s a shame because I really like the look, will check out the classic versions thanks.
Old 09-25-20, 07:39 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I'll third or 4th the SPD reccy with stiff XC MTB shoes.

That being said, with Shimano's SPD patent expiring, everyone is making them now. Even LOOK has LOOK-a-likes of SPDs now.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-25-20, 09:10 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by Grimfish74
thanks that’s good advice and yes it’s the samba type I’m wearing, it’s a shame because I really like the look, will check out the classic versions thanks.
Yeah the classic ones don't look as sleek as the newer models. They look like a chunkier skate shoe, so as far as aesthetics it might seem a little off at first if you wear spandex! (I wear some of the newfangled "gravel shorts" so it looks a little more...cohesive
Old 09-25-20, 09:30 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Is there some better flat pinless pedals out there I could use with my trail shoes?
I’m planning on some long solo days/weekends out

The pins on the Velo Orange Sabot pedals are rounded, providing grip without tearing up your shoe's soles.

People who ride MKS Lambda pedals swear by them. Big surface, no sharp pins.
Old 09-25-20, 09:57 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by Rolla
The pins on the Velo Orange Sabot pedals are rounded, providing grip without tearing up your shoe's soles.

People who ride MKS Lambda pedals swear by them. Big surface, no sharp pins.
I liked the Lambdas on my urban bike. Very nice. But for off-road shenanigans give me the tallest sharpest pins ya got!
Old 09-25-20, 09:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I've been very happy with Crank Bros Eggbeater 3 pedals and PI X-Alp 'gravel shoes' (new this year) IMHO - the gravel marketing on these shoes is pure marketing, but also they are better than typical road or MTB shoes for riding gravel. (edit/adding) These shoes are good for walking (I'll wear them for some bike errand/shopping trips), the cleat is recessed and doesn't click while walking. Also look for commuter clipless shoes, there are a good number clipless shoes that are better for walking.

For me, clipless pedals are key to gravel, you get into so many rough patches (washboard for example), keeping my feet connected the the pedals make bike-control so much easier. Eggbeaters are great at allowing you to engage the cleats in the messiest conditions (only time I've had minor issues is in slushy wet snow - not many people are nutty enough to go out in those conditions).

When I say 'messiest' ... I really mean it! 2018 The Filthy 50:

photo credit Markman Outdoor Photography

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 09-25-20 at 10:02 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-25-20, 03:25 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I’ll second the vote for Crank Bro’s eggbeater pedals, I have them on both of my gravel bikes.

Likes For sarhog:
Old 09-25-20, 03:41 PM
pbass

I’m planning on some long solo days/weekends out so want a more casual look, no Lycra or clicking road shoes when I stop off.
You may not go back (even though many of the replies here keep recommending clipless after you stated you want to use flats).
I love riding flats on my gravel bikes. Maybe because I come from a MTB background, and my riding is about 50/50 pavement/dirt (including plenty of singletrack) I dunno. But I have no intention of ever clipping in again. Very comfortable for long days on mixed terrain and can send it with flats and 5.10s with no worries.

Last edited by pbass; 09-25-20 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-25-20, 04:13 PM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by helldorado
for me it's the time atac pedals, ftw
+1 ...
Old 09-25-20, 10:40 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I've been using clipless on my gravel bike, but when i built up my Surly ECR with RF Chester flat pedals (for slower, more casual riding, especially when loaded for bikepacking), i rode in some worn Oboz hiking shoes. It was nice, doable, i don't think i was missing much compared to the advantages. I lost grip a lot, but the soles were worn. I just picked up a pair of these and they may work out great for flats. I haven't had a chance to ride yet. Not as big and clunky as my Five Ten Freerider Pro MTB shoes

https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-T...woSolar-Red-75

eric/fresno, ca.
Likes For ericzamora:
Old 09-25-20, 11:54 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by ericzamora
I've been using clipless on my gravel bike, but when i built up my Surly ECR with RF Chester flat pedals (for slower, more casual riding, especially when loaded for bikepacking), i rode in some worn Oboz hiking shoes. It was nice, doable, i don't think i was missing much compared to the advantages. I lost grip a lot, but the soles were worn. I just picked up a pair of these and they may work out great for flats. I haven't had a chance to ride yet. Not as big and clunky as my Five Ten Freerider Pro MTB shoes

https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-T...woSolar-Red-75

eric/fresno, ca.
Been eyeing those--when my current Freerider classics wear out I may try them. It's all about the Stealth Rubber--they should be equally sticky. Pricier than the regular Freeriders but I like the look better! Would you say they're narrow in the toebox?

Last edited by pbass; 09-26-20 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-27-20, 04:11 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
SPD or Egg-beaters with a stiff XC school sole...but that's already been said.

Last edited by Badger6; 09-28-20 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Weird autocorrect
Old 09-27-20, 01:32 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Would you say they're narrow in the toebox?
They << look >> narrower, but they feel very similar to me, but I have yet to ride in them (head held down in shame). I do not have wide feet. Here they are with Freerider Pros in one photo, Fizik Terra Ergolace X2 in the other.
Likes For ericzamora:
Old 09-27-20, 02:16 PM
pbass

They << look >> narrower, but they feel very similar to me, but I have yet to ride in them (head held down in shame). I do not have wide feet. Here they are with Freerider Pros in one photo, Fizik Terra Ergolace X2 in the other.
Thanks man! Very helpful.
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-01-20, 11:25 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Speedplay Frog pedals and cleats, with Shimano waterproof shoes, work well for my '17 Motobecane Omni Strada Comp.
Old 10-01-20, 01:50 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Yeah the classic ones don't look as sleek as the newer models. They look like a chunkier skate shoe, so as far as aesthetics it might seem a little off at first if you wear spandex! (I wear some of the newfangled "gravel shorts" so it looks a little more...cohesive
Please steer me in the direction of the "gravel shorts" of which you speak. I need something that's not as overkill-ish as MTB shorts with all the heavy fabric and pads, etc.
Old 10-01-20, 01:58 PM
ericzamora
junior

Originally Posted by Helldorado
Please steer me in the direction of the "gravel shorts" of which you speak. I need something that's not as overkill-ish as MTB shorts with all the heavy fabric and pads, etc.
Not sure if this is what pbass means, but there are these:
https://www.pactimo.com/collections/...us-shorts-mens

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 10-01-20, 02:04 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Helldorado
My faves are these: https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...-gravel-shorts
The length, streamlined fit, useful and secure pockets--worth the price IMO. I hope they eventually make them in black as well, I'll buy another pair.

I also have a pair of these that I quite like as well. They were a tad long-feeling for me (I'm short-ish) so I had them hemmed up 1" and are perfect now: https://www.moosejaw.com/product/sug...5f1724c3a8bc6c

Granted these aren't all that different from various technical shorts designed for hiking that are out there. I have a pair of Outdoor Research hiking shorts that work well too. But these are just more bike-focused and comfy in the saddle.
There's also plenty of boutiquey brands out there making stuff like this, like Mission Workshop, but man, $150-200 is a bit much for me to put towards shorts!

Last edited by pbass; 10-01-20 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 02:21 PM
pbass

Not sure if this is what pbass means, but there are these:
https://www.pactimo.com/collections/...us-shorts-mens

eric/fresno, ca.
I like the look of those but they're too long for me, being about 5'7". I'm finding a 10" inseam is the right "gravel length" as to not feel "mountain bike long".
Likes For pbass:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.