Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

70's Gazelle Tandem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

70's Gazelle Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 01:01 PM
Beurt

Bikes: Batavus flying Dutchman 50's - Mercier tour de France service des courses 71 - Peugeot early 80's VTT - gazelle tandem 70's - Motobecane interclub tandem - Motobecane 650b randonneur - and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
So I took a look today and mine is GH714235.

Which means that yours is from 1978 and mine from 1977.

Another mystery solved.
Great, thanks !
Funny thing is, I was born in 78 and I'm a bit rusty here and there as well...
Likes For Beurt:
Old 09-24-20, 03:24 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts

I fear the pedals were originally installed without grease as they have proven nearly impossible to remove and are too narrow for a standard pedal wrench. So that's going to be interesting in the future.
When I had a very stuck pedal what I did was remove the crankarm, dis-assemble the pedal, grab the spindle between the jaws of a *big* vice, and attach a long lever to the crankarm with hose clamps. Big enough vice, long enough lever, it's off.

If the spindle has a shoulder by the flats you get a pair of shims to fit so the vice jaws really do grip the flats. Remember which way you want to turn it.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-25-20, 05:35 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
When I had a very stuck pedal what I did was remove the crankarm, dis-assemble the pedal, grab the spindle between the jaws of a *big* vice, and attach a long lever to the crankarm with hose clamps. Big enough vice, long enough lever, it's off.

If the spindle has a shoulder by the flats you get a pair of shims to fit so the vice jaws really do grip the flats. Remember which way you want to turn it.
Looking for a vise with work bench now.
Old 09-25-20, 12:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Looking for a vise with work bench now.
It can be hard to fit a workbench into a home, but if you can, you'll be glad you did. It's wonderful to have a bench and especially a bench vise. I do so much with my vise.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-25-20, 03:22 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by noglider
It can be hard to fit a workbench into a home, but if you can, you'll be glad you did. It's wonderful to have a bench and especially a bench vise. I do so much with my vise.
Especially if the home is this small but I think I can figure something out.

Old 09-25-20, 06:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Masonry inserts, anyone?

-Kurt

Old 09-27-20, 05:14 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
You can go to a bike shop and ask if your could use their vice
Old 09-28-20, 08:00 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by alexnagui
You can go to a bike shop and ask if your could use their vice
Maybe, but I also have a local workshop and material reuse shop around the corner. Maybe I should try there.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 09-29-20, 04:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Maybe, but I also have a local workshop and material reuse shop around the corner. Maybe I should try there.
What a beautiful place. Are you a paying member, or do you pay per usage?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-29-20, 04:41 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by noglider
What a beautiful place. Are you a paying member, or do you pay per usage?
Pay per usage. Honestly I don't come there often enough. They have some really cool stuff!
Old 11-03-20, 10:27 AM
Beurt

Bikes: Batavus flying Dutchman 50's - Mercier tour de France service des courses 71 - Peugeot early 80's VTT - gazelle tandem 70's - Motobecane interclub tandem - Motobecane 650b randonneur - and more

Another mystery solved.

I think I need help solving another mystery... Lacing a new wheel feels quite intimidating!

I found a donnor bike in a good skape (1982 Peugeot VX45 anniversary edition, front wheel and fork bent beyond any hope for repair) and salvaged quite a few part from it already. It's rear AB hub is in a great state but the wheels are not the right size for a simple swap.

I also found a brand new rim with the same "chapeau de gendarme profile" to match the front one (26x1 3/8 Dia 590). So far everything looks perfect and I'm ready to order this new rim plus new tires and all the jazz,but I cannot for the life of me find the correct lenght for the spokes!

I feel they would not be the same as the ones mounted on the front wheel, the hub being different as well as the rim thickness, I'm afraid.

Using the SAPIM online calculator, do these number look right or wrong to you?

Total lenght of the hub: 117mm (over locknut I assume)

Non gear side: 23mm (axle protrusion length?)

Gear side: 23mm (axle protrusion length?)

Hub diameter non gear side: 102,8mm

Hub diameter gear side: 65,5mm

Internal diameter of the rim: 590mm

Rim thickness (no idea!!)

Number of spokes in the wheel : 36

Number of crossings gear side 9?

Number of crossings non gear side 9?

The bike being a tandem will have to support more weight, should I go to 13g spokes rather than 14g ?

I hope someone can help me solve this and pass on a little knowledge at the same time!
Old 11-03-20, 10:45 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Beurt
I think I need help solving another mystery... Lacing a new wheel feels quite intimidating!

I found a donnor bike in a good skape (1982 Peugeot VX45 anniversary edition, front wheel and fork bent beyond any hope for repair) and salvaged quite a few part from it already. It's rear AB hub is in a great state but the wheels are not the right size for a simple swap.

I also found a brand new rim with the same "chapeau de gendarme profile" to match the front one (26x1 3/8 Dia 590). So far everything looks perfect and I'm ready to order this new rim plus new tires and all the jazz,but I cannot for the life of me find the correct lenght for the spokes!

I feel they would not be the same as the ones mounted on the front wheel, the hub being different as well as the rim thickness, I'm afraid.

Total lenght of the hub: 117mm (over locknut I assume)

Non gear side: 23mm (axle protrusion length?)

Gear side: 23mm (axle protrusion length?)

Hub diameter non gear side: 102,8mm

Hub diameter gear side: 65,5mm

Internal diameter of the rim: 590mm

Rim thickness (no idea!!)

Number of spokes in the wheel : 36

Number of crossings gear side 9?

Number of crossings non gear side 9?

The bike being a tandem will have to support more weight, should I go to 13g spokes rather than 14g ?

I hope someone can help me solve this and pass on a little knowledge at the same time!
Number of crossing should be 3, for a 3 cross wheel, you could go 4 cross too, but I think three should be fine.

The axle protrusion should be the distance from the lock nut to the center of the hub flange for both sides.

You should be able to look at the spoke nipple hole and see how thick the rim is, the inner rim diameter, plus rim thickness plus 2mm for the head of the spoke nipple will give you the ERD of the rim.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 11-03-20, 11:21 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I found a donor bike in a good skape (1982 Peugeot VX45 anniversary edition, front wheel and fork bent beyond any hope for repair) and salvaged quite a few part from it already. It's rear AB hub is in a great state but the wheels are not the right size for a simple swap.

• Total lenght of the hub: 117mm (over locknut I assume) Yeah that's probably OLD (Over Locknut Dimension). Sounds about right but could be 120mm with all the screws and bolts on.
  • Non gear side: 23mm (axle protrusion length?) 23mm is the axle protrustion lentgh. The flange distance however is probably 17mm
  • Gear side: 23mm (axle protrusion length?) 23mm is the axle protrustion lentgh. The flange distance however is probably 32mm
  • Hub diameter non gear side: 102,8mm Sounds about right
  • Hub diameter gear side: 65,5mm Sounds about right
  • Internal diameter of the rim: 590mm 590mm is the outer size of the rim. Most calculators use the ERD (Effective Rim Diameter = Internal diameter + rim thickness) and for that you need to measure the rim using two spokes.
  • Rim thickness (no idea!!)
  • Number of spokes in the wheel : 36 Yep
  • Number of crossings gear side 9? 3, it's the number of times each spoke crosses another spoke
  • Number of crossings non gear side 9? 3
The bike being a tandem will have to support more weight, should I go to 13g spokes rather than 14g ? I used the Sapim "Strong" tandem butted spoke.

I will have to dig in a little deeper later but I have highlighted some of the things that are wrong and what should be the correct answer.
As always I suggest Sheldon Brown for information on how to build your wheel and this page on what you are measuring and how.

It is however, very likely that it shares the same dimensions as the slightly more modern steel Sturmey Archer AB-3.
My suggestion would be to measure again and compare them to the link above.

For an example of the dimensions, take a look at what a Sturmey Archer AW hub measures like: Kstoerz Freespoke
Here are my dimensions for the 5-speed hub I used for this build as an example: Kstoerz

To put it simply, all you really need is:
  • The center of the hub when mounted
  • How far the flanges (the part that the spoke attach to) are off-center from that (Center-flange distance)
  • How big the circle of the flange is on both sides (Flange pitch circle diameter)
  • Spoke hole diameter
  • The inner size of the rim (ERD)
P.s. don't forget the spoke washer when building the wheel. Modern spokes use a larger bend than what was usual back then.

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-03-20 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-03-20, 04:15 PM
Beurt

Thank you both so much for your fast reply!
​​​​I did some research on the different types of lacing and learnt a lot. I hope that with all the details you gave me I should be able to find exactly what I need in terms of spokes.
Then will come the time to build the wheel... A journey by itself!
Likes For Beurt:
Old 11-03-20, 04:52 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
As always I suggest Sheldon Brown for information on how to build your wheel and this page on what you are measuring and how.
Yes!!!!

Very good page with all the info anyone could need to successfully build a wheel :-)
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 01-25-21, 04:39 AM
Beurt

Progress update

Happy new year to you all, a lot of progress was made on my bike and I'm late for the report.
Following your precious advice as well as Sheldon's I was able to order the correct spokes for my wheel and went on lacing it.

Everything ready

Laced

And trued
With this big part of the work out of the way we were able to test ride the tandem, refine the set-up, correct little issues and make it more comfortable.

I think this was the first time we rode it to the lake.

​​​​The bike being mechanically complete and safe I consider it road worthy and will stop the restoration process here, the frame will not be repainted. It shows it's age and I'm OK with that.
As my stocker wants to be able to ride it in summer dresses the final touch was to find new spoke guards and fit the peugeot's chainguard on it. Now we can really plan our first tandem bikepacking trip to the Loire Valley castles in May.

Complete and ready to go!

1978 gazelle tandem

Thanks a lot JaccoW and all of you for your help and support in this project. I really learnt a lot!
The next one is a 70's road bike and a bit of a mystery... Maybe I should open a new thread for it.

Last edited by Beurt; 01-25-21 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-25-21, 10:59 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

​​​​The bike being mechanically complete and safe I consider it road worthy and will stop the restoration process here, the frame will not be repainted. It shows it's age and I'm OK with that.
As my stocker wants to be able to ride it in summer dresses the final touch was to find new spoke guards and fit the peugeot's chainguard on it. Now we can really plan our first tandem bikepacking trip to the Loire Valley castles in May.

Complete and ready to go!

1978 gazelle tandem

Thanks a lot JaccoW and all of you for your help and support in this project. I really learnt a lot!
The next one is a 70's road bike and a bit of a mystery... Maybe I should open a new thread for it.
That looks great! Certainly looks the part and not as rusty as mine.

It should certainly be fine for a comfortable ride along the river valleys in France. What do you think of the brakes?
Old 01-25-21, 12:55 PM
Beurt

That looks great! Certainly looks the part and not as rusty as mine.

It should certainly be fine for a comfortable ride along the river valleys in France. What do you think of the brakes?
Thanks JaccoW,
the brakes are far from amazing to be honest... Just sufficient enough for the weight of 2 riders, anticipation is key when you need to bring it to a complete stop.
I did take them appart for a good cleaning of the surfaces though and even replaced the brake shoe in the front one where I did not like how little material was left. It's better now but still not really powerful I'd say.
​​​​​With the 3 speed hub it's not intended to do anything else than flat land anyway so that's where we'll use it. The upright riding position is very comfy though and if not fast, it does roll super smooth which for a first tandem riding experience is perfect. I feel quite safe when driving it despite the poor brakes and we enjoy learning to ride together as much as I enjoyed fixing it. That's all I was wishing for when picking it up originally and I'm glad that it's back on the road for more adventures.
Did you get to ride yours a bit more? How is the modern hub you installed doing compared to the SA?

Last edited by Beurt; 01-25-21 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-25-21, 02:14 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
I love the look of your shop. I looks so much more classy if everything is labeled in French. Even dérailleurs cassés sounds expensive and high end!

OK, back to tandems.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-01-21, 09:36 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Wow!

Wow, that tandem is quite the FIND!! Gazelle bikes (especially from that era) were so well-built and they were simply beautiful. A few years ago I refurbished a pair of Gazelle Sports Luxe bikes that appeared to be from the same year (they shared so many of the same features as your tandem). I rebuilt the wheels with 3-speed and dynamo hubs with drum brakes. I had to modify the chain case to accommodate the 3 speed hub, and in doing so discovered the leaping gazelle cranks hidden inside the chain case. I simply HAD to liberate them. These bikes are gorgeous. Congratulations, you've got yourself a RARE GEM!!

Peace,
BB

One of the most beautiful bikes I've ever owned, the Gazelle is beautiful and extremely.solid.

Leaping Gazelles! Need I say anything more??
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 02-02-21, 09:45 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
Wow, that tandem is quite the FIND!! Gazelle bikes (especially from that era) were so well-built and they were simply beautiful. A few years ago I refurbished a pair of Gazelle Sports Luxe bikes that appeared to be from the same year (they shared so many of the same features as your tandem). I rebuilt the wheels with 3-speed and dynamo hubs with drum brakes. I had to modify the chain case to accommodate the 3 speed hub, and in doing so discovered the leaping gazelle cranks hidden inside the chain case. I simply HAD to liberate them. These bikes are gorgeous. Congratulations, you've got yourself a RARE GEM!!
One of the most beautiful bikes I've ever owned, the Gazelle is beautiful and extremely.solid.

Leaping Gazelles! Need I say anything more??
That's a great looking bike! I love slightly modernized practical bicycles like that to give them a new lease on life. And you're right, those cranks are beautiful. I have (a potentially over-enthusiastic) plan to model one of those chainrings for the Pro-5-Vis system and have modern replicas made for a bike I still have in the shed.
What is the serial number on those bikes? I might be able to tell you the exact year.

I did something similar with a 1976 Gazelle Grand Tourist.

Old 02-02-21, 10:17 AM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Nice build... makes you want to sling a leg over the saddle and just GO...

The original Sports Luxe came with single speed coaster hubs. I live in a fairly hilly area and wanted to give the rider half a chance to stay in the saddle while pedaling this around town, so I added just a few gears. I also am not a particularly big fan of coaster brakes, and the SA drum hubs seemed like the perfect opportunity to add hand-brakes that could really stop this bike in a hurry. I found homes for both bikes several years ago without researching the year (via serial number), but from a bit of unscientific research online they appeared to be from the 70s. Both bikes had beautiful gold pin-striping (that looked to be hand-painted), and there was virtually no rust... they must have been kept in someone's attic or a very dry garage. I actually got these for FREE (if you can believe it) from a bike shop friend who took them on a trade-in from an older couple... The new owners paid for parts, but lacing the wheels and doing the mod essentially for free was for me a genuine pleasure and quite frankly an HONOR...

Your build will no doubt be spectacular... good luck!

Peace,
BB
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 03-07-21, 05:01 AM
JorisVDL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice Bike. I recently bought exactly the same one, same colour to boot. I have the captain's left crank (in the front) where the thread for the pedal is completely gone. I've been trying to find another left sided crank (it's the original cottered type crank) with normal thread (most left sided cranks have a reversed threat), but no luck. Any suggestions on where to find these would be very welcome!. thanks a lot! Joris
Old 03-09-21, 11:17 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Ordered some parts today to build the front wheel! Let's try and get this thing rolling again.

Originally Posted by JorisVDL
Nice Bike. I recently bought exactly the same one, same colour to boot. I have the captain's left crank (in the front) where the thread for the pedal is completely gone. I've been trying to find another left sided crank (it's the original cottered type crank) with normal thread (most left sided cranks have a reversed threat), but no luck. Any suggestions on where to find these would be very welcome!. thanks a lot! Joris
Hey Joris,

My guess would be that these are Gazelle tandem specific cranks. Someone might have them on Forum Oude Fiets or perhaps BikesToRemember.nl knows where to find them. Otherwise your only chance is to find another tandem and steal remove parts from there.
You could however also try with something like a Helicoil but there are options for when the threading is completely gone.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-21, 12:27 PM
JorisVDL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Jacco,

wonderful, thanks for the links. I think they are indeed gazelle specific tandem cranks. I will follow the leads you gave. In the mean time, I have also thought of the helicoil option. I think I could probably use a reverse threaded left crank and drill out the thread to replace it with a regular threaded helicoil. I'll keep you posted and add a picture once I'm done. Don't tell me where you stay, I might find another tandem that looks just like mine ... :-). Thanks a lot. Joris
Likes For JorisVDL:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.