Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Please recommend a tire bead jack!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Please recommend a tire bead jack!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 04:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
That's an interesting video. He endorses the idea of using a lever to install a tire. I guess he's lucky with that or he has an exceptional technique. I've installed thousands of tires, so I can't say I always avoid using a lever, because some tires are just impossible to install without a tool. My trouble is that when I use a lever, I pinch and puncture the tube 50% of the time. Not a good risk. I find the Tire Jack reduces that to about 0%. RJ the Bike Guy says it's not a must-have tool. I had tires that was so reliably difficult that I carried the Tire Jack whenever I rode that bike, so I considered it a must-have at the time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-29-20, 05:02 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I wish I could figure out why it kept slipping off the tire (several tires and several rims, actually) as soon as I lightly squeezed the lever. I gave it to a neighbor who does some wrenching of his own and I am waiting to see if he has any success with it. So far, I don't think he has tried it.
Old 09-29-20, 06:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Ah, you squeezed the lever? Don't do that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-29-20, 07:25 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by noglider
Ah, you squeezed the lever? Don't do that.
You know what I mean. You have to apply a small amount of pressure to lift the side of the tire that's off the rim into position. That's when the tool always slides off the tire altogether.

I've read enough positive comments and recommendations to know that this thing MUST work. I just wonder if I got a defective one?
Old 09-29-20, 09:37 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
We've got a couple of Kool Stop bead jacks, and they are indeed not foolproof. They can slip off the bead before it goes over the edge. I think part of the problem is that there are tight tires, and then there are ridiculously tight tires. We bought a pair that we couldn't mount at all, with any kind of tools. The shop was gracious enough to take them back.

This is a design and quality issue, and I think it's ridiculous, another bad idea pushed on us by the bike industry, that may serve a purpose for competitive cyclists with professional support, but detracts from the enjoyment and utility of cycling for the rest of us. We tell people that they should equip themselves to perform basic maintenance on their own bikes. That's got to be a gold standard for the design and quality of any bike that is not sold specifically for professional use.

I've got strong hands as a double bassist, and decades of experience dealing with tires. But two of my family members have small hands and literally can't fix a flat by themselves when the tires are really tight.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 09-30-20, 08:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Agreed, @Gresp15C. I also have strong, large hands, and I notice not everyone can fix a flat, sometimes even when the tire isn't tight.

@Papa Tom, sorry about the way that came off. Maybe I can make a video showing how I use the tool.

Last edited by noglider; 09-30-20 at 09:01 AM.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-30-20, 03:38 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by noglider
Agreed, @Gresp15C. I also have strong, large hands, and I notice not everyone can fix a flat, sometimes even when the tire isn't tight.

@Papa Tom, sorry about the way that came off. Maybe I can make a video showing how I use the tool.
There are several videos showing how it is used and I am doing exactly what is shown. Still, mine keeps slipping off the tire. Kool Stop has asked me to send them photos of the tool so they can see if there are any defects. Unfortunately, I have already given the jack away and I don't want to ask for it back!
Old 09-30-20, 09:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yes maybe the edge of the hook is wrong, letting the tire slip out of it.

Old 10-05-20, 02:38 PM
sacr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Can these tools be used to get the tyre off the rim?My most recent tyre purchase was some 700C 32 schawble marathons to put on some mavic 3 rims(1980s). The old tyres just came off with thumb pressure, but the new schawbles took me 15 minutes with 3 metal tyre levers and lot Of brute force, thought I was either going to break the bead or bend the rim.

Even decided to watch a few youtube videos to see if was missing anything, okay centre the bead, but really isn’t that going to happen when you start pulling on it anyway. None of the videos I watched showed a tight tyre like the one I have.

Since initially fitting it, I ve had to remove and refit the tyre twice(fortunately could do in the garage) and it was still just as hard.

i can see that kool tyre tool should make getting the tyre on easier, but on my setup getting it off(I can get 4 inches of the bead over the rim to start) remains just as hard(please don’t tell me that once you have a bit of the bead over it will just slide off, not on this baby)

I may not be fortunate enough to have the comfortable surrounds of my garage my my next removal/fit and need something I can do blindfolded in the rain!

Last edited by sacr; 10-05-20 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 03:23 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
Even decided to watch a few youtube videos to see if was missing anything, okay centre the bead, but really isn’t that going to happen when you start pulling on it anyway. None of the videos I watched showed a tight tyre like the one I have.
I shot
for illustrative, but not really didactic purposes. This was in the context of a bikeforum discussion that mentioned particularly tough rims and tires. I happened to have the respective rims and tires and used them in the illustration. Also the discussion referred to working in the snow. After I shot the video, the complaint was that I used tire levers there, rather than bare hands only. Yes, you can do that with bare hands too - it just takes longer. The overall issue is of progressing strategically rather than forcing the head against the wall, what people to do when getting desperate with the tires.
Old 10-06-20, 05:55 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
Can these tools be used to get the tyre off the rim?My most recent tyre purchase was some 700C 32 schawble marathons to put on some mavic 3 rims(1980s). The old tyres just came off with thumb pressure, but the new schawbles took me 15 minutes with 3 metal tyre levers and lot Of brute force, thought I was either going to break the bead or bend the rim.

Since initially fitting it, I ve had to remove and refit the tyre twice(fortunately could do in the garage) and it was still just as hard.

i can see that kool tyre tool should make getting the tyre on easier, but on my setup getting it off(I can get 4 inches of the bead over the rim to start) remains just as hard(please don’t tell me that once you have a bit of the bead over it will just slide off, not on this baby)

I may not be fortunate enough to have the comfortable surrounds of my garage my my next removal/fit and need something I can do blindfolded in the rain!
I carry a lot more gear than most cyclists, but FWIW, I carry the Kool Stop bead jack for mounting tires and the Crank Brothers Speedier Tire Lever for dismounting them. It's a very nice tool and takes up very little space.