Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Compass Tire Hype: Warning

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Compass Tire Hype: Warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 04:43 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
The Shill is back

Squid the Shill Puppet is back for a thread bump.

I've spent more time and miles experimenting with the pressure on my 35mm Compass tires. I'm down to 60 rear and 40 front. These tires are STUPID luxurious and they just keep freaking rolling.

25 windy miles yesterday and I got tired of spinning out. Everything felt like downhill. If I stopped pedaling the bike would just roll, and roll, and roll, and roll further. And starting from a dead stop is quick and easy. I'm going to reduce my rear cog by one tooth. I'm serious. These things are ridiculous. No flats yet either. None. I no longer care that the price tag is insulting. I'm on the stupid shill train for good.
Old 08-28-17, 05:43 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Old 08-28-17, 08:15 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I've spent more time and miles experimenting with the pressure on my 35mm Compass tires. I'm down to 60 rear and 40 front. These tires are STUPID luxurious and they just keep freaking rolling.
You sound like some of the mountain bike nerds I know, discussing the nuances their tire pressure. To ride 25psi or not to ride 25psi. Then I have a buddy that pumps up to 40psi and still kicks ass. It's all good though, over the years I have come to enjoy some squish in my tires. Generally pump my 35mm tires to 60spi and drop down from there if I go off-roading.
Old 08-28-17, 08:47 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by hairnet
You sound like some of the mountain bike nerds I know, discussing the nuances their tire pressure. To ride 25psi or not to ride 25psi. Then I have a buddy that pumps up to 40psi and still kicks ass. It's all good though, over the years I have come to enjoy some squish in my tires. Generally pump my 35mm tires to 60spi and drop down from there if I go off-roading.
Hahahaha. You would have enjoyed some of our liter motorcycle tire PSI debates. 400lbs + 170hp and we'd go nuts over 28 or 28.5 in the front. "32 in the rear? Are you mad? I'd never go over 30.5. LOL. But seriously, the changes of weight distribution on the bikes made a big difference. You could really tell the difference. Actually, I think those machines were more sensitive to change than my bicycles. Maybe that was because we pushed them hard enough to where the tires started arguing.
Old 08-28-17, 08:53 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

I think it makes a lot more sense on a motorcycle but on a bicycle what works for you is what matters. Some skinny dudes on road bikes pump their tires to 120psi while I, currently at 250lbs, rarely pump over 100psi on my 23mm tires. :shrug: Speaking of motorcycles, I wish I knew more about them. I do a little dirt biking here are there but I really don't know ****.
Old 08-28-17, 09:55 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I think it makes a lot more sense on a motorcycle but on a bicycle what works for you is what matters. Some skinny dudes on road bikes pump their tires to 120psi while I, currently at 250lbs, rarely pump over 100psi on my 23mm tires. :shrug: Speaking of motorcycles, I wish I knew more about them. I do a little dirt biking here are there but I really don't know ****.
Dirt bikes were my heaven while growing up. Racing MX was a euphoria better than any drug. Killer exercise too. I still believe Pro MX racers are probably the fittest overall athletes.
Old 08-28-17, 10:10 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Dirt bikes were my heaven while growing up. Racing MX was a euphoria better than any drug. Killer exercise too.
Hell yeah, the time just melts away. I'll probably go out more with my dad once the weather starts to cool down. I just wish I could get a bigger bike, the Honda 250 we have is like a clown bike under me.
Old 08-28-17, 10:56 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Hell yeah, the time just melts away. I'll probably go out more with my dad once the weather starts to cool down. I just wish I could get a bigger bike, the Honda 250 we have is like a clown bike under me.
I'm only six foot tall and even I'm way too big for even the biggest MX bike. Compact dudes have always been the fastest throughout history. When I stand up-sit down-stand up-sit down five hundred times during a race it takes its toll because the legs bend so deeply compared to a five foot six dude. For them it's like going up and down on a bar stool, a minor flex, far shallower and way less quad work. For you it must be like doing a full squat. I used to say I wish I was 6' tall on Friday night and 5'6" on Sunday morning. At 250 you should be on a 450 or a 250 2-stroke.

Back when I raced (before the stupid tight and slow indoor arena tracks that are all an air show and no speed) there was an open class. 500cc two strokes. TWICE the power of the current Pro top class. They only had four gears and you only used three because there was always too much power available. They used to ruin the tracks for the 250s and 125s. Knee deep gulches by the end of a 30 minute moto.

Better than sex x 10.

The thing I think I miss the most about MX over road racing was the violence of it all. The tracks were violent, the bikes were violent, and more often then not your opponents were violent. It was like ice hockey on wheels. Bash hard and exit fast.

Kawasaki KX 500: The one bike to ride before you die!

“A fuse looking for a light.”

“Unrideable.”

“Violent.”

Those are all quotes from the June 1983 issue of Dirt Bike. The subject? Kawasaki’s first KX500, a bike that was destined to become a legend in motocross and desert racing. It was a humble beginning for one of the greatest dirt bikes in history. At the time, there were no 500cc motocrossers. Kawasaki was the first to go there since the notorious 501 Maico of the previous decade. But in the end, the KX would outlast all others of its kind, officially turning out the lights on the 500 two-stroke class in 2004

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/kx500-t...efore-you-die/

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 08-28-17 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 12:29 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have much experience with flats. Compass tires in wider widths are very tough.

Mostly I used to get goats heads and glass. I have been riding compass tires since they were introduced. First the Grand Boise, and later Compass 700x32 (had a custom frame built for wider tires before they did their first tests). I was getting several flats a month and started using latex based sealant (totally worth it). Then I started using 42mm and 38mm Compass tires, no sealant, and have had only 3 flats in 20,000 miles.

I think some of that is incremental improvements in rubber compounds over the course of production, but clearly, wider tires at lower pressures simply flat less and don't damage as easily. They deflect, rather than puncture. I have not retired any due to sidewall damage.

I am 6'6", 220 pounds (2m, 100kilo). 700c x 38mm at 55psi rear, 45 front. 650b x 42 start at 50 rear 40 front. I will go a couple months between inflations, which is great for my daily commutes. I have let them go down to 20psi, where they will start to roll in corners. They are only a little faster when reinflated.
Old 08-29-17, 01:33 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by catgita
I have much experience with flats. Compass tires in wider widths are very tough.

Mostly I used to get goats heads and glass. I have been riding compass tires since they were introduced. First the Grand Boise, and later Compass 700x32 (had a custom frame built for wider tires before they did their first tests). I was getting several flats a month and started using latex based sealant (totally worth it). Then I started using 42mm and 38mm Compass tires, no sealant, and have had only 3 flats in 20,000 miles.

I think some of that is incremental improvements in rubber compounds over the course of production, but clearly, wider tires at lower pressures simply flat less and don't damage as easily. They deflect, rather than puncture. I have not retired any due to sidewall damage.

I am 6'6", 220 pounds (2m, 100kilo). 700c x 38mm at 55psi rear, 45 front. 650b x 42 start at 50 rear 40 front. I will go a couple months between inflations, which is great for my daily commutes. I have let them go down to 20psi, where they will start to roll in corners. They are only a little faster when reinflated.
Jeez, another shill, peddling the hype.
Old 08-29-17, 01:56 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
a bit 'off topic', but I have been using Specialized Turbo Cotton tyres on my road bike (Giant TCR) for the past few months (700Cx24) .... on my wheels (HED Belgium Plus), they measure just over 27mm wide

amazing tyres that roll fast .... super comfortable, and so far, I have covered 750km on some fairly rough roads .... one puncture from a shard of glass that would have punctured a tractor tyre, and these tyres still look new

I will definately buy these again .... I'm using them with Bontrager Ultra-Lightweight Tubes (not latex, but a lot lighter than normal tubes
Old 08-29-17, 10:52 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Swapped my Compass tires for Clements as I practice for the cross season. Very sad.

Currently wishing and hoping that they would make a knobby 33. Please take my money.
Old 08-29-17, 11:04 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

For you it must be like doing a full squat.
Sigh My dad has a 450 fitted with a raised saddle and riser bars and what not to make it work nicely for him and he's 6' tall. It feels good when I get on his bike but I still need some more so I don't have to work so hard to to get my ass off the saddle.

I haven't ridden a more powerful bike and they seem scary. Have you thought of doing so other kind of racing like Enduro rather then MX?
Old 08-29-17, 11:19 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
Swapped my Compass tires for Clements as I practice for the cross season. Very sad.

Currently wishing and hoping that they would make a knobby 33. Please take my money.
I bet it happens eventually. Ridiculous amount of Compass hype.
Old 08-29-17, 01:12 PM
Carcosa

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Ridiculous amount of Compass hype.
Best tires I've used yet.

I wouldn't be as worried if Clement could get the gumwall message or if Challenge could make some tubeless ready Grifos.
Old 08-29-17, 01:23 PM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I just put some 25c Veloflex Masters on my road bike and they improved the ride a lot. Put the Schwalbe Kojak's on my single speed 26" Rockhopper conversion. Thinking about the 120 TPI 28c Clement Strada's for my fixed gear.

All as ways to get Compass like feel for less than Compass prices but at some point I'd like to try the real things. This thread only heightens that desire...
Old 08-29-17, 01:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa

If they did, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up as a 700x32C nominal, or undersized for the 700x33C label, just to make sure it passes inspection on wide rims...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-29-17, 02:49 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 87 Posts
I am a huge fan. I rode sewups by preference until I tried Compass tires. I now have them on most of my bikes, including my cheapo builds. It is astonishing how nice an old heavy bike can be when on Compass tires!
Old 08-29-17, 04:53 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I haven't ridden a more powerful bike and they seem scary.
Scary can be sublime. When a bike is fast enough to narrow your field of vision by 80% and render your depth perception useless, you are beginning to touch the other world. It begins to feel like an artificial experience. My heart rate actually begins to go down. Adrenaline is now not only useless, it's dangerous. Yoga zen at 180mph. Very soothing.

Have you thought of doing so other kind of racing like Enduro rather then MX?
Not violent enough.

Asphalt is my gig now. MX is for the young studs.

Originally Posted by Aubergine
It is astonishing how nice an old heavy bike can be when on Compass tires!
I am extremely qualified to agree with this.
Old 08-29-17, 05:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@SquidPuppet, you're a very amusing writer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-29-17, 05:33 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Scary can be sublime. When a bike is fast enough to narrow your field of vision by 80% and render your depth perception useless, you are beginning to touch the other world. It begins to feel like an artificial experience. My heart rate actually begins to go down. Adrenaline is now not only useless, it's dangerous. Yoga zen at 180mph. Very soothing.
I know the feeling, although it wasn't on a motorcycle at suicide speeds. When I rowed crew there was once race where my crew was so in sync the boat just felt like it was gliding through the water, I felt no more pain even though we were in the heat of the race with our coxswain screaming his head off at us, time was slowing down, and the world around me was totally quiet except for the sound of the water. Very sublime and it all came crashing down when we crossed the finish line and my guts came pouring out over the side the boat.
Old 08-29-17, 11:08 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

time was slowing down
YES! You totally get it man!!!!!!!!!

And yes, the silence, it's brilliant, the world disappears. It's like your brain and all your senses shut off, and your body is running on auto pilot. And the best experience is IF you become aware of the state that you are in, you can relax, embrace it, and go deeper. If you think about what you are doing, you'll just ruin the whole thing.

Another beautiful part of it is, you know that your rowing team mate (riding buddy) is right there in that same strange place with you, experiencing every detail at the exact same time. It's like an unconscious bonding ballet. Connected.
Old 08-29-17, 11:13 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by noglider
@SquidPuppet, you're a very amusing writer.

Old 08-30-17, 01:04 AM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wonder what frame and wheel you using? I been looking at Compass tire for a long time but size is so freaking big

My Fuji Feather frame seems to take 28 just fine but probably not with 35-36, want to try them on but fear of frame clearance will be . . . troublesome
Old 08-30-17, 09:03 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I ride my super light compass 38s on terrain I would not in my wildest dreams consider a road. Jagged rocks, dirt, mud, whatever. These things haven't punctured once. I just don't get it. They are amazing tires in every way. Put them back on tarmac and they're schweeeeeet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.